Running Out of Scope MOA

bondc007

I have three Savage Axis XP rifles in different calibers. I have mounted Picatinny rails on all three. On one rifle, when zeroed, I only have eight MOA of elevation remaining in the up direction but 50 in the down direction.

I have tested this with different scopes and find the same disparity. I have checked the scopes on the different rifles, and have far less disparity. I even sent the scope back to Sig Sauer. They zeroed it at their facility and returned it to me. I replaced the Picatinny with the Savage factory rails and found the same disparity.

So it appears that the receiver or rifle mounts are the problem. My first question is, is this normal or acceptable? My second question is, is there any thing that can be done about it? Is there a way to make adjustments or modifications to the action/receiver to overcome this disparity?

Is your rail 20 moa or 0 moa? I use EGW 20moa on my Savage rifles and have never had an issue with not enough scope travel.

If your using the same scope on all the rifles then you could also use a mount with built in moa. Not sure from your post if you have 3 different scopes set up. If you only have one then maybe it would be easier to get a Mount.

I have three Savage Axis XP rifles in different calibers. I have mounted Picatinny rails on all three. On one rifle, when zeroed, I only have eight MOA of elevation remaining in the up direction but 50 in the down direction.

I have tested this with different scopes and find the same disparity. I have checked the scopes on the different rifles, and have far less disparity. I even sent the scope back to Sig Sauer. They zeroed it at their facility and returned it to me. I replaced the Picatinny with the Savage factory rails and found the same disparity.

So it appears that the receiver or rifle mounts are the problem. My first question is, is this normal or acceptable? My second question is, is there any thing that can be done about it? Is there a way to make adjustments or modifications to the action/receiver to overcome this disparity?
Can you take a quick photo of your mount on the rifle, side view? You might level the action and then put a level on the scope mount as well.