Case run out

Hey guys,

I have had a major problem with run out (croked necks) for a long time. Can anyone help me with how to avoid any run out all together or fix a loaded round that has run out? I have tried various neck sizers and full case sizing. Full case sizing works the best if I turn my necks down enough to where I dont need an expander ball. I still get some run out sometimes this way. I also have a Redding competition bushing die neck sizer only. I get lots of run out here most of the time and a little all the time. My bullet seater seats bullets straight all the time if my necks are straight. The problem is, they are hardly ever straight.

Help please??
confused.gif
frown.gif

Thanx

Sand down the expander ball.

run the die in until it touches the shell holder when the ram is at TDC. Tighten the lock ring, run a case into it,..then while it is in the TDC position,...loosen the decapping stem, start the ram back down until you feel the expander inside the neck, and while it is inside the neck, tighten the decapping rod lock ring. This should give about as square a case as the press and die are capable of. This is my experience,..many other members with more time at the bench may have a better way.

[ 10-20-2003: Message edited by: JustC ]

Thank you for yor replies,

My fired cases do not have any run out, and I gave up on expander balls along time ago. I will probalbly try lining up my dies a little better.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.