Ruger No.1, Eabco 97D, or TC Encore For single shot rifle ?

......I never free floated a barrel, either. Go figure, but Ruger said the same thing. Light barrels are supposed to shoot better with a damper, any how. It's very important that the butt stock fits exactly

I think free floated is the place to start-if it works-great, if not add a little pressure until it does. Either with a little tape, or a Hick's Harmonizer. My -06 is the first one I've had with issues in the butt stock.

I have heard that the No.1 can be accurized by using a slip over rail scope mount so that the scope rings can be cranked on without moving the factory rail, using a hicks style accurizer to tune the barrel/forearm attachment, free floating the barrel, smoothing out the safety attachment point, doing a trigger job, as well as a few other things. Would a synthetic stock be beneficial since there would be no humidity swelling that can occur with wood stocks.

We've had horses fall and break stocks which I replaced with after market synthetic stocks. The fit isn't always good enough.

I was told that a TC Encore with a 16"-17" barrel chambered in 50 Alaskan 750gr A-Max combination is good for 1500fps-1700fps. So a No.1 with a 16"-17" barrel should be around the same velocity (then a 20" barrel should be good for around 2000fps). Unless a TC Encore is somehow stronger than a No. 1.

375rifleman

I have the slip over rail, and really like it. The thread I referred you to is a fellow it didn't work well for.
Oregonsmithing/Pendleton stocks made me a thumb hole synthetic that has really worked well. There has been a recent thread from someone not satisfied. I sent him another rifle for restocking, so I'm still good with it. He does a great trigger, and makes bases as well. The Hicks Harmonizer I have wasn't necessary after being re-stocked.

Which would be the best single shot rifle a Ruger No.1, Eabco 97D, or a TC Encore (I left out the Rossi,NEF, and H&R handirifle in this comparison) target shooting, hunting, and practicing? I like that the No.1 doesn't have an external hammer that would need to be cocked before every shot like a Eabco 97D or the TC Encore. Although a TC Encore can be chambered in many more cartridges/calibers and switched by a simple barrel change I'm mainly looking for a rifle with a designated cartridge like many of the bolt action rifles. The TC Encore also has a greater parts avability than either the No.1 or the 97D.

375rifleman
I've been shooting my Encores' for about 15 years. There are accuracy tweaks that make them excell. Heavier lock up springs, enlarged hinge pins, & a good trigger job. Mine is set at 1.6# on my scale & is crisp. I have a Pro hunter in 300 Win Mag, with a 4 port tactical break, that will shoot 1/2 moa or better if I do my part with hand loads. I have shot it out to 820 yds where I was impressed with a 3.50" 4 shot group. I also had a 6BR with a Mike Bellum barrel that shot bug holes.

Thanks for letting me know JWM I'll be sure to keep this in mind. Possibly inserting a length of all thread into the wrist area of the stock that's sometimes done on Magnum caliber or heavy recoiling bolt actions (if even possible with a No.1).

I do realize that No. 1's take more work to make or keep accurate, are much more expensive than even a mid level bolt gun, and are nowhere near as versatile as a TC Encore. However I'm mainly just trying to justify not getting a No. 1 besides the fact that an Encore can do pretty much everything I want for a lot less $$$. I just like the classic look of the No. 1 and from what I can perceive much better benchrest manners. Correct me if I'm wrong but a No.1 could be reloaded after a shot without needing to move the rifle just as long as the lever has room to drop right?

375rifleman

.........Correct me if I'm wrong but a No.1 could be reloaded after a shot without needing to move the rifle just as long as the lever has room to drop right?.........

Yes, prone with a short bipod leaves enough room to eject/reload,

............Possibly inserting a length of all thread into the wrist area of the stock that's sometimes done on Magnum caliber or heavy recoiling bolt actions (if even possible with a No.1)......

There is the bolt mating the butt stock to the action if that's what you're speaking of?

I to have the tc pro hunter. So far I've got the 50cal bp barrel, a 7mm 08, 308, and a 204 . I believe my wife ordered me a 35 Whelen barrel last week for my b-day. I love her lol.

Of the 4 barrels that I have now and have shot the 7 mm08 is a definite shooter . During the first 50 rounds I put through it it was shooting 1/2" groups at 100 yards easily. The 204 barrel really shoots well to. The 308 has been sighted in and that's as far as I got with it, and the black powder barrel is shooting 1" groups at 75 yards.

I'd read before purchasing a lot of horror stories about poor accuracy and bad triggers. But that is not the case with mine thus far. My best friend has had one for roughly 10 years and has had to have his walnut stock replaced due to it splitting free of charge by tc . They never even ask for the split stock back . He ran into one of their reps at a gun show and showed him took some pics and had a new butt stock within a week.

The ruger number 1 is a beautiful gun or at least the ones I've seen are. But for my money tc all the way. As stated previously you can get a custom barrel reamed just about any caliber you want no weatherby or rum for a pretty reasonable price. Check out eabco ,bull berry,mgm

When I was talking about rifle stock reinforcement I was referring to this.
IMG_2551.JPG
IMG_2550.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2550.JPG
    IMG_2550.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 144
I figured that's what you were thinking as an end result-I was getting at I'm unsure if that bolt is a positive or negative in that regard.

Even with all of the extra work needed to accurize and keep a No. 1 accurate as well as the additional cost of a No. 1 I'm still pretty much sold on the No. 1 rifle. It would be outstanding if a TacomHQ structured rifle barrel could be made to be used with a No.1 rifle. I'm thinking of using a 50 Alaskan 750gr (or similar bullet) at 1500fps-2000fps out of a 16"-20" 1in5-1in7 twist barrel.

375rifleman

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts