Bipod for rifle

back2bowhunting

I need some advice. I've been on a kick to reduce weight of my 10lb rifle so that is easier to carry on hunts in mountains over long distances. I will use a backpack, but on past hunts I find that I like to carry my rifle in hand when I'm hunting so I really prefer lightweight. I have used backpack and walking stick/trigger stick for a rifle rest in the past.

I have not used bipod attached to my rifle in the past, but want to do so in the future. So, it hit me - I'm making big effort to drop weight of my existing rifle only to add a significant amount of weight with attached bipod.

What do you do - do you hunt with attached bipod? What's your rifle's total weight with or without the bipod?

My old Ruger tang safety M&& weighs a bit over 8 lbs and I hate bipods. I use my backpack suitably bulked up with a down jacket/vest as a rest. Honestly though, in the typical country I hunt in, opportunities for prone shots are rare and it's just not worth it to put up with such an annoyance as a bipod to provide for them. More often I'm shooting off a tree stump or a rock or from a sitting position with sticks.

I use a carbon fiber bipod from Evolution bipods.

Evolution Bipod

It's very lightweight, and is modular, so that you can easily change out (or combine) legs for varying shooting heights and positions. Really really like this bipod.

I just got a javelin Bipod and like it. Nice that it's easy to remove and carry separately so can use as needed without changing balance of rifle also

For competition I use an Atlas bipod on my Ruger P{recision Rifle. That's too heavy for hunting. A bipod is an excellent accuracy aid. For more elevation use it off your pack or a rock or log.

For the price I'd go with the Neopod. I may get one for my Ruger Amer. Predator for 'yote hunting here in southern Nevada.

Eric B.

For competition I use an Atlas bipod on my Ruger P{recision Rifle. That's too heavy for hunting. A bipod is an excellent accuracy aid. For more elevation use it off your pack or a rock or log.

For the price I'd go with the Neopod. I may get one for my Ruger Amer. Predator for 'yote hunting here in southern Nevada.

Eric B.

Neopod is kind of short. If you do a lot of prone shooting, it may be too short for you.

I have a Neopod. Wish it were 2 inches taller.

I used a bipod for years but got tired of the extra weight and how it road on my shoulder when packing the rifle. I then tried a shooting stick for a while but I don't feel they are a great rest if you use a real lightweight model. Now, I have decided to just used my tripod that I always pack for my lightweight spotting scope. I just pack an additional shoe and saddle attachment for the tripod that my rifle rests across on the shot. I can shoot prone, sitting or kneeling.

Amazon.com: Hammers V Yoke rest mount attachment with 1/4-20 Camera thread for monopod shooting stick tripod: Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Glide Gear V Yoke Hunting Gun Rifle Stick/ Monopod / Tripod Holder: Sports & Outdoors

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts