while packing..... bipod on or off?

Discussion in 'Backpack Hunting' started by wannahuntmo, Jun 20, 2012.

1. wannahuntmo

wannahuntmo Well-Known Member

I always carry rifle with the bipod. Has anyone found an option for a quick bipod attachment?

2. cowboy

cowboy Well-Known Member

3. shortpants

shortpants Well-Known Member

Eberlestock pack w/ scabbard will fit a rifle with a big scope and Harris attached. That's what works for me.

4. curtis

curtis Well-Known Member

I just bought the Eberlestock X1 and I love it!!! Best backpack I've ever had...

5. Biggs300

Biggs300 Well-Known Member

I had a Harris bipod on my favorite deer rifle and used it for 3 or 4 seasons. Although it added more weight to the rifle it performed well. When it finally gave up the ghost, (it came apart in the field and I lost a part), I removed it. I found a replacement that provided the same benefits without the weight and gave me the ability quickly add or remove it from my rifles. This will be my second season to use Bipod Shooting Sticks. They even work in tree stands. I highly recommend them.

6. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

My Atlas attaches via a QD plate too a small Seekin rail ,SRS,on my rifle,seconds.I swap it to other rifles also. Also run a snipepod at times on a different rifle.

7. cornstalker

cornstalker Well-Known Member

Anyone tried VersaPod model 52?

8. Strider

Strider Active Member

I use a 6 to 9 inch Harris and take it off while packing in/out. I had a Snipepod that had quick attach capability, but I didn't like it much so never took it on a trip.

9. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Yes, and I like it.

I have both the rail attachment (on one stock) and the drilled in QD mount on another.

They are heavy, but very solid.

10. Boss Hoss

Boss Hoss Well-Known Member

When I hunted with one it came off and on the rifle very quickly. The Parker Hale is the easy to take on and off and is the only one I have ever used. I prefer to carry the shooting sticks--just me but with the lighter rifles 11lbs vs 18lbs plus I do not shoot prone.

11. mcseal2

mcseal2 Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of the Stoney point rapid pivot bipods, but I've never shot game past 500yds with one. They are fast to get on and off, fast to get into position with, and easy to make work on any terrain. I usually carry the prone and sitting model. Many places I hunt have taller vegetation that requires more height than sitting can offer, and the sitting model stoney point shines here for steady kneeling shots. I guess my best endorsement is that it is fast and steady enough for me to have taken multiple 200-300yd coyotes on rushed shots. I used the standing model to take a 300yd whitetail also last season where terrain didn't allow me to get lower.

12. Elkmen

Elkmen Well-Known Member

To me this is just like carrying a round in the chamber. The bipod is worthless in the pack, and so is the rifle with an empty chamber. I carry mine all day long in the field.

13. mcseal2

mcseal2 Well-Known Member

I don't find my set up that slow. I keep it under the compression strap and in the water bottle pouch on my pack so I can reach over my shoulder and draw it with one hand. Then it only takes a second to snap it on and shoot. If im more rushed than that I likely wont be using a bipod anyway. I agree about keeping a round chambered, I do that at all times. I've seen a guy who didn't need that extra round to finish a wounded animal.