Bipod or no, what’s your experience?

for backpacking mountains do you carry a bipod

• Total voters

Longshotjames

for a back packing hunt going in with lots of steep hills but possible long shots.

1. Attach a bipod that covers quick steady shots from sitting, kneeling or prone but it adds 1lb to the rifle

Or

2. Figure shots are either close&quick and go w/o to cut weight and plan to use your pack for longrange opportunities and either walking stick or closest available tree for close shots

I've only killed 2 elk, the first one required an offhand rush shot at 90yds(no time for bipod). The 2nd was at 200yds and I was topping an open hill, the herd had already gone on alert so it was quick to fold out the bipod, drop to a knee and make the shot. That time, the bipod was worth it's weight in gold!

Always have one. Sometimes it's in my pack until getting to the area I'm going to hunt. With a QD it's easy enough to put it on real quick.

Always have one. May be in my pack. But not hard to put on. Usually do install it when I sit down and go glass for any length of time.

Always have with me and attached 98% of the time even tho quick detach/attach and only weighs 2.9 oz. All shooting always done with bipod: case forming, load workup, zeroing, practice, etc. As I stray further from home the shots seem to get longer and misses more expensive.

There are a couple benefits to keeping it attached to your rifle - one nice thing about a bipod is even if you end up using a rock or log as your rest, your bipod is still what makes contact with the rock or log instead of the forearm of the rifle - so it protects the gun. Also, I run the 12-25 model, so it protects the forearm and a lot of the barrel from branches and bushes when I am out boondocking through the woods and the gun is slung over my shoulder.

for a back packing hunt going in with lots of steep hills but possible long shots.

1. Attach a bipod that covers quick steady shots from sitting, kneeling or prone but it adds 1lb to the rifle

Or

2. Figure shots are either close&quick and go w/o to cut weight and plan to use your pack for longrange opportunities and either walking stick or closest available tree for close shots

I've only killed 2 elk, the first one required an offhand rush shot at 90yds(no time for bipod). The 2nd was at 200yds and I was topping an open hill, the herd had already gone on alert so it was quick to fold out the bipod, drop to a knee and make the shot. That time, the bipod was worth it's weight in gold!
Last fall I shot my mule deer at 330 and my elk at 430 sitting with the harris 12-25 fully extended. Prone was no good, the sage brush was too high in both instances to see them while laying down. So glad I had the taller bipod instead of the 9-13, which is what I had been running for a while. Like you said - worth their weight in gold when you need them.

Absolute necessity at the range shooting prone or from the bench, but rarely use bipods while hunting. I switched over to shooting sticks in recent years and/or using a field expedient rest/pack. Shooting stick doubles as a walking stick, which is nice on some of those mountain trails.

Downside is that it is another piece of gear to keep track of. I seem to lose track of them about as often as I do my reading glasses.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.