What’s you pack load out?

dfanonymous

Over the years I've seen a lot of talk about rifle weight, and I'm here loading my gear and getting ready to get out later this month to start scouting water source conditions etc. As I was messing with my pack I got curious, what is everyone pack weight? My base weight is about 40 lbs for a multiday, 3 season, hunting load out.

Anyone here do the same type of hunting have a lighter base weight for a 3-7 day hunt? What's your gear load out?

3-7 days is a bit of a wide berth, I mean 6 days is double 3 and 7 is one more than that.

If there's a goal in mind it may be better to be more specific, even if it's to say what is your 3 day pack weight and what is your 6 day pack weight.

Then you may ask something like, and at what point does major gear switch, is it 7 days, 10 days, 14 days...? As in, is your 5 day pack 50lbs, your 6 day 52lbs, your 7day 54lbs, then all of a sudden 8 day is 65lbs because a major switch happens.

Of course if you're just p!$$!ng time away this may really not matter.

I see we have our expert backpackers here…

I said base weight, right? Base weight isn't going to change. It excludes water, winter layers and food packed etc. I said 3 season so it excludes winter packing gear all together, unless you wanted to talk about it. I won't stop you.
I won't stop you from talking about any comfort items you pack either.

There's no specific goal except what was asked…and it was a pretty specific question if words still have meaning…

3 season, multiday (3+ day) pack load out…is the question. Base weight for that amount of time is the other question.

My base weight consist of:

My tent -4 lbs
Sleep bag synthetic in sealline stuff sack -3 lbs
Sleeping pad- .8 lbs
Pack pillow-.2
Ground cloth- .1
Pack- 7 lbs
Stove -1.8 lbs
Jetboil butane canister -.22 lbs
Sawyer squeeze -.18 lbs
2 Nalgene bottles long - .9 lbs
One large smart water bottle or a gallon bag for filtering dirty water- .2 lbs
Spotting scope- 3.6 lbs
Tripod- 2 lbs

Water tablets, other medications- .1 lbs

Kill kit includes game bags, zip ties, knife and spare blades, stuff sack, disposable (surgical) gloves, - 1lb

Gloves-
Beanie-
Headlamp-
Kestrel -
Multi tool -
Gortex top and bottoms - 4 lbs mostly the gortex which I'm thinking of replacing with frog togs.
Puffy jacket- 1 lbs
550 cord to hang food

Weapon- Lightest I have is my 7 lbs. bow. I hike with weapon strapped to the bag. I consider it part of my base weight as I'll hike in, hike out with it on my back. Most of my rifles are I the 16 lb range. So I did some averaging here for the purpose of simplicity on here.

One of the different circumstance might be elk vs deer…in which case add a bugle call.

Last edited:
My pack will run about 30 lbs. Carry mostly the same items you do. But my tent is a little lighter and use a quilt which is a little lighter. The other thing is that I almost always go with my son and or grandson. So we can split up the carrying of some of the cooking and fuel items. Hardly ever carry water or anything thing to purify water as we know where there are springs and so far they have been safe. My bow is right at your 7 lb mark but my rifle is only about 8 oz heavier. Which I too carry most of the time on my pack. Now this is for weather that is not going to get much below freezing and preferably not that cold. Also carry binoculars, but not on my pack and very seldom carry spotting scope and accessories. My pack runs right at the 4 lb mark empty.

My pack will run about 30 lbs. Carry mostly the same items you do. But my tent is a little lighter and use a quilt which is a little lighter. The other thing is that I almost always go with my son and or grandson. So we can split up the carrying of some of the cooking and fuel items. Hardly ever carry water or anything thing to purify water as we know where there are springs and so far they have been safe. My bow is right at your 7 lb mark but my rifle is only about 8 oz heavier. Which I too carry most of the time on my pack. Now this is for weather that is not going to get much below freezing and preferably not that cold. Also carry binoculars, but not on my pack and very seldom carry spotting scope and accessories. My pack runs right at the 4 lb mark empty.
Thanks! Could you share your tent make and model? I'm always looking for new ideas. I have a down quilt too I use it with my sea to summit ultralite sleeping pad in a different set up for sectional hikes.

I use Alaska guide bino pack. It also holds my range finder, gps and windicator, tags, license pens and map pens.

What pack do you use? I got the MR marshal.

Using a Dan Durston tent. The 2 person one. Uses your trecking poles to set up. Can also just use the fly as a floorless tent. Been using a kuiu 3200 pro icon pack. I also use an Alaska bino pack to carry my binoculars, range finder and a few smaller items. Carry my cellphone with onx maps. As I've gotten older I keep looking for good but lighter stuff. It's a never ending search as I'm sure you already know. But it's all fun. Gotten so my wife just cringes when I find a new lighter weight item for back packing.

I've always planned for my big trips with enough gear for up to 8 day. No matter what, I'm always around 65lbs... and I have quality, light weight gear.

Without food, just gear my pack is 30lbs, food is about 1.5lbs per day. 40lbs base weight is a bit on the heavy side but cutting ounces can cost you hundreds if not thousands. The "Good Idea Fairy" will get you. I try not to pack to early before a trip because adding one thing here and there over the course of a week can hurt too.

I don't have the lightest gear in the world and my pack shows it. I seldom stay out more than 4 nights at a time hunting and very seldom set camp more than 8 miles from the truck. My gear does change from year to year, but my base pack usually runs 50 to 58 pounds. I almost always have to carry water and go in with the understanding that a successful hunt will mean multiple trips unless it's antelope. All up I am usually around 85 pounds plus 6.75 to 9 pounds of shooting tools leaving the truck. I never minded humpin a little extra weight to be comfy when I am sitting still.

what kind of critter and hunt are you packing for?
Same for me as dmj. Mule deer and elk. From the high deserts to 6-10,000 ft in elevation alpines. Usually in multiple states depending on how the schedule, draws and tags in general works out that year.

Recent Posts