Bipod or no, what’s your experience?

for backpacking mountains do you carry a bipod

• Total voters
Never used a Bi-Pod and have no experience to form an opinion, but I have been using the same two Stony Point aluminum shooting sticks for 25+ years. use a silver Sharpie to pre-mark where to extend them to for all shooting positions. My friend lost a shot at a beautiful 300-320" 5x5 at LRF confirmed 205 yards because he couldn't get steady enough after a long run (elevation was 9.5K'+) to make a shot before the bull diapered into the timber and the brush was to high to sit or kneel and nothing to lean on his options were off hand only. One of those guys who only willing to spend $$$ until AFTER it costs him dearly.
Never felt disadvantaged using sticks instead of a bi-pod, always wanted to try one though.

Last edited:
Thought on it for a while and after 5 elk hunts and countless deer hunts have never once been in a shooting situation where I could've used a bi-pod or where one would've served me better than shooting sticks. Come to think of it I've never shot an animal from the prone position, every other conceivable position off sticks, trees, medium, large and even HUGE rocks while sitting, kneeling and even standing, have used fence posts and even a few abandoned vehicles no less and my pack countless times on top of all of the above, just never prone.

I tend to use shooting sticks when I'm stalking and a tripod when I get setup where I need to be. The tripod is quick to set up and much more stable.

Mountian rifle never , I do use a monopod walking stick and have used it . However I prefer to use my pack for a super study shot perhaps on a rock or on a downed tree or a hump in the ground etc.. If needed I will bring shooting sticks if I know I will be in one Area glassing .

If my daughter never had bi-pods on her gun she probably would not have been able to take these 2 deer
cassandra buck 2015.jpg
cassandra buck 2015.jpg
cassandras 2018 buck.jpeg

I am a sufferer of essential tremors and combine with adrenaline, the ole "Buck Fever" saying is so true! Does the name Barney Fife bring any smile to your faces?
I carry bipod, sticks and pack and use any thing to try and steady my shot.
Great pics of your daughters hunt, beautiful buck, you must be a proud father to have her in your hunting and sportsman's pursuits.

Ha,
My house is on water and the floor's top is at 12 ft above sea level. My idea of altitude is climbing into my bed.
I do have a Harris mid hight on my 22-250 AI fast twist that I understand can be used to protect planted corn. The 75 Sierra has the same trajectory as a 50 BMG and can use a 50's cam at 3,012 FPS. With a laser rangefinder and a 4 oz single set trigger it is a nice combination.
Ed

Ive been doing some research on ultralight bipods. I own several Harris and feel if its worth carrying hunting, its worth carrying the 25" so I can make quick sitting\kneeling shots.

To the point: The Harris 25C weighs exactly 16oz on my scale. Ive looked at lots of $300-500 carbons that only extend 9-13in(or less) and they weigh 5-10oz depending on model. to get to the equivalent of my 25" Harris you have to buy extensions adding weight and more MONEY. By the time you fool with adding that, It costs $500-$700 and weighs within 2-3oz or so of my current Harris25C

does anyone have a cost effective model that can truly cut 5-6oz off my Harris25c setup and still get 25" of leg length?
James

Depending on the hunter, experienced or novice, def for the novice. Also depending on the terrain, high grassland a 25c Harris is the ticket. We hunt in high grass with no trees and with nothing like a tree to rest the rifle on a high bipod is a must.

Ive been packing a really nice tripod, 3lbs carbon fiber. I do most of my glassing off of it and I can shoot prone or standing from it of needed.....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.