Rubber Wrapping a barrel?

the idea free float is to eliminate pressure points. Bedding secures - mostly the action into the stock tight so it does not move around. some folks do bed entire barrel or part of it about an ich from the action lug. Most barrels shoot better free floated when thicker than sporter type barrel. Some sporters shoot better with a pressure point at end of stock. Only testing can say for sure. One down side to pressure point is in a stock prone to warpage - that can really change upward pressure on barrel.

You might try adding tension to the barrel. The idea is to have a high spot at the end of the forearm that puts a small amount of pressure (8 - 10 lbs or so) against the barrel. This restricts the area from the action to the end of the forearm from moving so the only part of the barrel moving any degree from the harmonics of the shot is from the end of the forearm to the muzzle. Since less of the barrel is moving, barrel whip is reduced. One good way to try this is to loosen the action screws, then take a piece of old credit card material and place it in the end of the forearm between the barrel and the forearm. Re-tighten the action screws and then shoot some groups to see if they have improved. If this helps, you can bed the forearm to tension the barrel. There are several good tutorials on how to do this. Here is one method (Glass Bedding a Sporter Rifle).

Dennis
Good advice

Usually fore end pressure only works on a poor bedding job! I have seen it work on factory rifles, but again, it is because the factory bedding is normally not very good. It is funny that one of the above posts mentioned silicone in the barrel channel as that is something that I thought of trying, but never have....Rich

the idea free float is to eliminate pressure points. Bedding secures - mostly the action into the stock tight so it does not move around. some folks do bed entire barrel or part of it about an ich from the action lug. Most barrels shoot better free floated when thicker than sporter type barrel. Some sporters shoot better with a pressure point at end of stock. Only testing can say for sure. One down side to pressure point is in a stock prone to warpage - that can really change upward pressure on barrel.

My barrel is a "sporter" as far as I know. It's definitely not a bull barrel. Its factory. So, from what I'm gathering. Leave it alone, shoot it. If I get it where I like it, don't mess with it. If I don't like it, maybe get it bedded? Right now I believe it is a free floating barrel. You can slide a dollar bill between the barrel and the forestock pretty easy.

There is a local gun guru here that happens to own a tire shop. They've experimented with filling the flutes of a premium barrel with rubber. They shoot very well, whether or not they shoot well because of or in spite of the added rubber I cannot discern.

It does look cool :cool:.......

t

There is a local gun guru here that happens to own a tire shop. They've experimented with filling the flutes of a premium barrel with rubber. They shoot very well, whether or not they shoot well because of or in spite of the added rubber I cannot discern. It does look cool :cool:.......

I'm trying to wrap my head around why would someone buy a fluted barrel, then fill in the flutes, other than looking cool?

Too much time on their hands, unlike me sitting here surfing the net, looking at my weight machine, and calling that exercise. LOL!

I lift weights too much as it is.... 12oz at a time :cool:

It was a cool experiment anyway, they all shoot very well. Again, whether it's because of or in spite of the rubber?? I don't know, Not worth paying the cost I don't think but crazier stuff has been created by guys farting around in their garage.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.