Rounds will not chamber in new Savage 111 LRH .338 Lapua

Actually the base mount screw may be the most common culprit for a Savage bolt lock up with the front action screw being a close second offender. Most times the front and rear base mounting screws get mixed up. The front screws are shorter and the very front screw should be the shortest of all of them.

The action may close on an empty chamber fine but as soon as you load up the ejector spring with a cartridge case, the floating bolt head will move just enough to catch the now interfering screw. (believe me it doesn't take much extra length to cause this...It happened to me with a base change using the same screws in the same holes...The base was the same brand only a different color...Had me dumfounded for a while...I took off about 10 thou and everything was hunky-dory). One has to remember to also check the very front base screw for clearance to the barrel threads. Otherwise it may bottom on the barrel threads and leave you with a possibly loose base even though the screw is tight.

In the OPs case it sounds like someone other than Savage mounted the scope. The smith took care of it without charge.

My .02

The gun is fixed! Final verdict was that the scope rail screws were too long and needed shortened. Gunsmith wouldn't take any payment, thanks again for all of the feedback. I will post load data and groups when I get that far.

Thanks,
Brandon

A well know issue among Savage owners. Glad your gunsmith got it going for you. Enjoy!

Being a savage owner you may want to check out this site. http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php

The gun is fixed! Final verdict was that the scope rail screws were too long and needed shortened. Gunsmith wouldn't take any payment, thanks again for all of the feedback. I will post load data and groups when I get that far.

Thanks,
Brandon

who installed the base for the scope? Savage does one 111 with a rail mount, and more than one 111LRH without anykind of mounts.
gary

I agree and the scope rail screws excuse sounds like BS to me. Savage probably paid him under warranty to keep it quiet .

I ask him if he bought the Mod. 111 with the rail mount that came from the factory (has the wild looking muzzelbrake). Or did the dealer install a rail mount? I seriously doubt that Savage paid anybody anything. And being as the rifle should have been test fired at the factory, I wonder just who installed the base?
gary

Very interesting and I sure wouldn't argue with Randy since I know he's put a lot of stuff together over the years. I just got all mine from Dad and shoot em, LOL!!!

Guys, I am just ecstatic to get the gun up and running and was hoping my follow up on the thread may help someone out in the future. To answer the questions asked: Yes, the scope rail was included and installed by Savage at the factory. Yes, my rifle is the 111 LRH model with the factory muzzle brake. And yes, if my Gunsmith told me that it was the screws than I have no reason not to believe him.

Thanks,
Brandon

Actually the base mount screw may be the most common culprit for a Savage bolt lock up with the front action screw being a close second offender. Most times the front and rear base mounting screws get mixed up. The front screws are shorter and the very front screw should be the shortest of all of them.

The action may close on an empty chamber fine but as soon as you load up the ejector spring with a cartridge case, the floating bolt head will move just enough to catch the now interfering screw. (believe me it doesn't take much extra length to cause this...It happened to me with a base change using the same screws in the same holes...The base was the same brand only a different color...Had me dumfounded for a while...I took off about 10 thou and everything was hunky-dory). One has to remember to also check the very front base screw for clearance to the barrel threads. Otherwise it may bottom on the barrel threads and leave you with a possibly loose base even though the screw is tight.

In the OPs case it sounds like someone other than Savage mounted the scope. The smith took care of it without charge.

My .02

I thought the origonal poster said he checked the mount screws but after looking back I see he only mentioned the problem . I felt that if the screws were binding the bolt head surely some kind of mark would be obvios after trying to close the bolt with caming action. I stand corrected .

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.