338 Lapua in a Savage?

Tyler Kemp

There's seems to be conflicting reports. If I use a barrel with a shoulder, instead of a barrel nut, can a 338 Lapua be SAFELY done on a Savage action? I was thinking of an Edge on the Savage target action, but after hearing that with good case life, it doesn't beat the Lapua, I've wondered if the larger diameter case could be done. I'd have to have a bolt head made, but that wouldn't be very much considering all the money I'd save on brass.

Tyler , Like I mentioned in the other post the action desgine and specs of the Savage make the reciever stronger than the Remington due to the thread depth , the shallower the threads the thicker the reciever is.

Yes you will have to have a bolt head made or buy one , give Kevin Rayhill a call and talk to him about your ideas , he builds some hot rod wildcats based on the Lapua case in Savage actions all the time , Like wise with a couple of the smiths here ,I know Kirby has built some guns on Savages not 100% sure if they were laupa based but I guarntee he can give you a very educated answer , Nathan Dagley (308nate) has built a bunch of guns on Savage action and I'm pretty sure hes done some on the Lapua case.

Here is Kevin Rayhill and Nathan Dagley's web sites , if Kirby had one I'd post it also but ...

Kevin : Stockade Gun Stocks - specializing in custom rifles

Nate : Welcome To My Website

Tyler, have you taken a good look at the Savage Target action? I have an LRPV in 22-250 and the loading port is not large enough to accept the Lapua case. I don't have a Lapua case on hand to try, but I did try an empty 338 RUM case. It just barely fits through the port. I tried a loaded 375 Ruger round, and while you can get a round that size in there, it will take some work to get it out. An empty 416 Rigby case is the same length as the loading port. Also, there really isn't any way to lengthen the port. You would have to modify the bolt baffle to lenthen the travel.

I love the Savage Target action, but it is unquestionably a short action. Possibly a long action if you weren't worried about ejection. But definately not a magnum length action.

I have already checked and the RUM brass is supposed to work. I know the newer actions have a 3" port, but older ones are shorter. 2.85" for RUM brass and 2.72 for Lapua. I don't expect a loaded round to eject, but I don't mind pulling the bolt for that one time in a thousand when I don't burn up some ammo. :D

I see $.7 for RUM brass per 100, and $2 for Lapua brass per 100. If I did a 338 Lapua Improved, and shot 2800 fps with the 300 grain bullets, I'd be running at fairly low pressures, and should have brass that lasts a while. RUM at 2800 fps on the other hand may not last very long. So if I got twice the case life, and the Lapua is supposed to be better quality, it may be worth it.

Bear in mind, I've NEVER touched a Savage action.

Be that as it may, here's my two cents.

I'm guessing the Savage is an 1.350" diameter receiver. IF this is correct, it puts right on par with a majority of other mainstream and custom actions out there.

I've built 338 Lapua Magnums in an Ackley Improved configuration on Remmy 700's. The rounds were loaded to brutal pressures and the receiver never complained once.

As we know, the Remington is a 1.625X16tpi receiver. Don't know what the Savage is, guessing a 1.0625X18tpi which if correct, is the same as a Nesika. I've build close to a hundred 338LM's on Nesika actions so there's no worries there.

The bolt will certainly have to be opened up. We (meaning Nesika) use .590" for a BF diameter. It's worked without issue, so maybe that'll help some.

Ejection ports always seem to be the pain in the nutz when it comes to these things. I'd avoid removing material off the front end of the port if at all possible since that's where all the business takes place. If something can be trimmed off the back though without goofing with scope mounts or other peripheral feature, then blaze away on that milling machine and make it happen. Nothing wrong with that IMO.

If the action in present form will tolerate the 300RUM, I'd have to speculate it'll run just fine with the Lapua. The Remmy I did was a 30-06 when I started. My buddy that owns the gun isn't known for being very conservative with a powder scale. He likes speed and with an AI configuration it gets it done pretty well with the little 225 grain bullets. (and a 36" barrel)

Good luck, post some pics if you can.

Cheers,

~NC

Also, Savages were chambered with the barrel nut in the Lazzeroni cartridges. These are pretty close in size to the 338 Lapua I believe?

I'm not framiliar with the Savage Target action but the regular Savage action action were at one point chambered for the lazz round and I guarntee that the factroy 338 Lapua loads won't be close to the factory Lazz rounds as they are loaded pretty **** hot to even close to the published velocities.

The Thread for the Savage is 1.062"x20 TPI and if they ejection port is big enough for the RUM case to fit then the Lapua will work fine. Again I'm not framiliar with the Savage target action so I'm not gonna comment with its feeding and ejection capibilities.

Feeding wouldn't matter, rounds would be dropped in since it's single shot. Ejection would be pretty simple, if the case was too big you could always take something off the bottom of the ejection port.

I think that it would work if you used any of the long action models. They just don't offer the target action in a longer length. Stuffing a 338LM in there would be like trying to get it into a Rem Model 7. It's a shame though. I really like the right bolt left port configuration on the Savage. You'd have to stick with the shorter rounds in the model 12 actions though.

The smith said he could do it on a Savage, and that a 338 Lapua will eject and feed, and so will a 338 Edge! :D

I am not concerned with having any type of magazine, if I can't get it done with one shot, my second shot most likely would be at running game, which I don't do.

I recall that the Target Actions are Large Shank. I am guessing that that is 1.120 but not 100% sure. I also don't know if they keep the 1.300 action diameter or not.

There is a guy on Savage Shooters, I think that it is Northlander that sells the actions. I would verify everything first :)

edge.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.