Rounds per Powder Case

4ked [ QUOTE ]
$17.00 for 269 rounds is $0.063 a round for the powder.

[/ QUOTE ]
Please dont tell me that you are only paying $17.00 for a pound of powder, i'm starting to feel quite sick, we are paying around $55 for a tub of Hogdens and Reliant and around $72 for a kg of Vihtvouri!

Ian.

"Right now i could'nt give a [censored] that i hit the [censored] duck"

The last can of vihtvouri I bought were $39 a can... and the H1000 I bought the other day was $16.24 plus tax. ive seen H414 locally for as little as $14 a pound.
$55 cans of powder sounds like a good reason to find a boat, and point it west!

[ QUOTE ]
Please dont tell me that you are only paying $17.00 for a pound of powder, i'm starting to feel quite sick, we are paying around $55 for a tub of Hogdens and Reliant and around $72 for a kg of Vihtvouri

[/ QUOTE ]
That is correct Centre Punch. I just got 3 pounds last friday 2 pounds hodgdon and one pound ramshot all for under 50 bucks.

I wouldnt pay more than that for any of the hodgdon powders I use. $17 is a max cost. Come on over and I'll prove it to ya'. (That is an invitation to come visit the states. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Thats why I order most of my powder from powder valley. In the gun shops around here powder goes for 19 to 27 bucks a pound! Thats if they even have reloading supplies! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I save bookoo money even after paying hazmat fees as long as I order 2 pounds or more.

If you buy your components in bulk, you will save money. Try looking at www.gibrass.com for powder and brass. Even with the hazmat fee for powder, you will still save money over buying the same stuff locally. For example, I bought a 8lb jug of WC844 pulldown powder and with shipping was at the time about $85. An 8lb keg of Hogdon H335 (loads the same as WC844) locally was $125 + tax. This was a couple of years ago. I also use the same powder for my 308.

As for a progressive press, it will load consistent ammo if you use a powder that meters good. I agree with the others that it is best to load on a single stage press until you get some experience.

With the lower cost of powder from buying it in bulk, my cost per load decreased significantly. If I bought primers in bulk that would help too. Even with the cost reduction in powder and assuming that I will find all of my brass ejected by my AR-15, buying non-reloadable stuff like Wolf still costs me less than reloading plinking rounds with about the same accuracy.

robins

If you just want to try reloading check on e-bay they usually have press pretty cheap, or yard (garage) sales. I bought my press for $25 at a yard sale (RCBS Rock Chucker) that included 3 sets of dies and a RCBS 505 scale, I didn't feel it to be a bad buy.

In the past i have used a Dillon 550 progressive press for 45 auto a 9mm loads, I know a few people that are using one for cowboy action and 223 M-16 loads (so many rounds so fast it doesen't have to be a tack driver) or so I was told. For plinking I may would use one once I got absolutly comfortable with my reloading process. As for your other calibers I would reccomend a single stage press just because you can taylor your loads so much easier.

As for the turret press I have been considering getting one to put my seater dies in and leave them so that there is no adjusting just turn to the desired die and mash bullets together.

just my .02

Bryan

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.