Calculating Cost per Round

Yes, I know this topic has come up before but hey, let's do it again... it's been a few years.

Possible example (mine) of an initial Investment for first time reloader (let's exclude equipment for this discussion):
(4) pounds of powder [shipped to my door]: $180 <-- 28,000 grains total
(100) 140g Hornady ELD M bullets: ~$45
(100) 6.5 CM Lapua brass [shipped to my door]: ~127
(1000) CCI #400 SRP primers [shipped to my door]: ~$105

Let's just calculate the cost for 100 rounds (since that is the most I can load with the grocery list above). After putting the data into a calculator, the min is 40 grains and the max is 44 so let's just go with a middle-of-the-road load and use 42 grains.

View attachment 350663

For 100 rounds, we would need 4200 grains of powder. That's $27 for powder ($180 / 28000 * 4200 = $27).
Primers are 10.5 c each so 100 would be $10.50.
Bullets are simply $45
Casings are $127 (but they'll be reused)
Reload cost (reusing spent casings) would be $82.50 total or $0.82.5 per round
Load cost (including casing cost) would be $209.50 total or $2.10 per round

Given that I can probably wait (now) and find things when they are in stock or on sale, I can probably end up getting primers/powder at more reasonable prices and I can probably avoid shipping/HAZMAT fees altogether.

OTC 6.5 CM rounds (that I've seen) can be found as low as $1.50 so let's assume that is the "best price" as of today.

I've read the average number of times you can reload a casing is between 40 and 50. I have no idea if this is accurate but let's go with the best-case scenario of 50. Even with having to buy new casings every 50 reloads, the average cost per round still works out to $0.85. Therefore, I am saving (AT LEAST) $0.65 per trigger pull (ignoring the initial equipment costs).

Do I have that about right or am I missing something?

BUT... if I factor in an equipment cost of $500 (probably low), I have to shoot 770 rounds to break even.

- Wil
What was the total for your powder and shipping?

My method:
28 Sherman Magnum
powder - 85 x 100/7000 x $50 = $61
primers - $150/1000 x 100 = $15
cases - $220/10 reloads = $22
bullets - $70 x 2 = $140
shipping and hazmat = $40
$275 per 100

My struggle with these numbers is I really need to focus on finding these things for the right prices….

primers have to get under $50 again. Powder has to get under $35/lb. I also see I should probably try Noslers at $70/100 and Barnes at $90/100.

I figure the most it will cost as it's the least I can do;)🤣🤣🤣🤣? Make your numbers higher, so when it's lower you feel like you saved?

Thsee calculations are exactly why I had a target sports membership. Several years ago when NAMMO bought Berger, and then Berger started selling factory branded loaded ammo with Lapua brass, they flooded the market.

Target sports had the factory 6 and 6.5 Creedmoor ammo for around $25-$26/box and free shipping. It was a no-brainer to buy several cases, as guys over on snipers hide would buy once fired brass for $0.60/piece. Glad I "hoarded" the ammo and kept the brass!

Yes, I know this topic has come up before but hey, let's do it again... it's been a few years.

Possible example (mine) of an initial Investment for first time reloader (let's exclude equipment for this discussion):

Let's just calculate the cost for 100 rounds (since that is the most I can load with the grocery list above). After putting the data into a calculator, the min is 40 grains and the max is 44 so let's just go with a middle-of-the-road load and use 42 grains.

View attachment 350663

For 100 rounds, we would need 4200 grains of powder. That's $27 for powder ($180 / 28000 * 4200 = $27).
Bullets are simply $45

Given that I can probably wait (now) and find things when they are in stock or on sale, I can probably end up getting primers/powder at more reasonable prices and I can probably avoid shipping/HAZMAT fees altogether.

OTC 6.5 CM rounds (that I've seen) can be found as low as $1.50 so let's assume that is the "best price" as of today.

I've read the average number of times you can reload a casing is between 40 and 50. I have no idea if this is accurate but let's go with the best-case scenario of 50. Even with having to buy new casings every 50 reloads, the average cost per round still works out to $0.85. Therefore, I am saving (AT LEAST) $0.65 per trigger pull (ignoring the initial equipment costs).

BUT... if I factor in an equipment cost of $500 (probably low), I have to shoot 770 rounds to break even.

- Wil
You don't really save by reloading. You just shoot more.

View attachment 350663

Bullets are simply $45

- Wil
You don't save money by reloading. You just shoot more!

View attachment 350663

Bullets are simply $45

- Wil
DON'T EVEN GO THERE!
If you have to worry about the cost of reloading to factory ammo, you probably don't have the money to shoot.
Reloading is a HOBBY - OR - PASSION FOR PREFECTION!

My buddy sent me this the other day and asked.....how much money have I spent?.....25lbs of rifle primers.😅

1647986823031.png

Don't know about a lot of you, but its not always a money thing, I just enjoy doing it! although I haven't spent the time to figure out the price per round, I would venture to say its still cheaper to reload even at todays prices. Let's not go into the equipment tho, that would definitely not work out!…🤣

I have to say, if you factor in the part of factory ammo where you try 4-5 different brands and find out your rifle likes the one that's $3.50 per round..... Then when you go back to the gun store they don't have that brand for 6 months..... But you can find it on GB for $120 per 20.... You could break even quickly on a whole reloading setup at those prices.

Also there's no price on knowledge. Knowing how to make ammunition is a skill that's not taught in any college. This is partly why there are people out there who want to not only reload, but make their own Black Powder and cast their own bullets.

You CAN get 40+ reloads out of some brass, but most will come nowhere near that. I know that some guys shoot 30BR brass for YEARS because the relatively light powder charge and 30 cal hole seems to be very easy on cases. So much so that few ever stop to count how many times their brass has been loaded. Just trim if needed, anneal, and load it up again. But I think that's the exception that proves the rule.
Don't know if anyone ever went to the trouble of building a 500 yard varminter in 30BR though, nor what it might do to larger game. (118 grain bullet at 2950 fps...)