Right Out Of The Box----

Most Accurate Hunting Rifle Out Of The Box

• Total voters
My 338 Edge was built on a Savage Action. Screwed in barrel on it, adjusted the trigger, a bit of glass bedding, all done by my buddy geargrinder, and the rifle
shoots better than I can. Under 1/2 moa is the norm.
So, not only out of the box they're pretty awesome, but also to build on them when
your cash is not abundant. :)

Remington Sendero !! A savage is still a savage kind of like buying a nissan , when you could own a F250 :)

I shoot a Savage and drive a Nissan. Savage is fun to shoot just like it is, average group is between .4 and .6" with the bullet I chose, first group was .5" as close to exact as my eyes and caliper can measure, and my Nissan is a BLAST to drive, but much smaller than an F250, faster too!!! And I don't have to do any mods to either to make them shoot and drive good. I have had Fords and 700 Remingtons. I had to remove that pressure point from all of the Remington 700s and constantly worked on the electricals in the fords. You like to tinker, don't you??? Its ok, I used to think I liked that too. Then I stumbled upon a Savage and a Nissan!

I have to say though, as for the two people that voted Kimber, They either got really lucky or their first rifle (probably only) was a Kimber and they bought it because it was pretty! They are pretty to look at! The 5 I have attempted to make shoot wouldn't put 3 shots on a serving platter when I started and when I finished tinkering and pawned them off on any takers most would put 2 out of 3 in a 9 inch paper plate at 100 yards!

Joking to some extent by the way. I owned a 700 short action that was built just like a sendero I bought new in 91 or 92 and that was indeed an amazing rifle I wish I had never parted with.

I have to say though, as for the two people that voted Kimber, They either got really lucky or their first rifle (probably only) was a Kimber and they bought it because it was pretty! They are pretty to look at! The 5 I have attempted to make shoot wouldn't put 3 shots on a serving platter when I started and when I finished tinkering and pawned them off on any takers most would put 2 out of 3 in a 9 inch paper plate at 100 yards!

I had the same experience with a Kimber. It was a very nice looking rifle but accuracy was + 2MOA no matter what I did, and the action was rough and bound up constantly. Got rid of it.

I shoot a Savage and drive a Nissan.

I am the same way love my Frontier and my savages, cant argue with reliability. My Dad has had two of the old hard body Nissan's that he put over 300,000 miles on and one he replaced a water pump and a transmission in the other, and is still driving that one. Not bad for a truck that cost less than $12,000.

I shoot a Weatherby Vanguard .30-06 right now and am happy with it, when I pick up a .22-250 it will be either another Vanguard or a Savage.

We all know how picky rifles can be about different loads, even in guns that are the same make, model, and caliber can shoot well with one and not as accurately with another.

The part that is misleading about this poll is the fact that most of us haven't shot a wide range of rifles back to back, and while this group of shooters is more demanding than most when it comes to accuracy, I think that the majority of us stop when we are happy with the accuracy of our rifle compared to our skills.

What I mean is if I go out and buy a new rifle, I am likely to try 3 or 4 loads in it, and if I am happy with the best one, that is where I will stop and what I will shoot. I know some do try every combination of cases, primers, powders and so on, but unless you can't get acceptable accuracy, I doubt many of us are really pushing the envelope of our rifles because it is usually our skills that hold us back as long as the gun is capable.

It would be very interesting to have a large get together in an area where the most of our members live. Have everyone bring out their rifles along with a couple boxes of ammunition, and mix things up. Try everyone's loads in your rifle, see of others can achieve better accuracy with your rifle than you can, and see if there are any common trends.

I know this probably wasn't very helpful to the poll, so sorry :)

Savage is way out front. Lets hope that Savage, Kimber and Henry can stay in business in NY State considering the recent events. Kimber and Henry are in ther city and Savage is upstate.

Savage is way out front. Lets hope that Savage, Kimber and Henry can stay in business in NY State considering the recent events. Kimber and Henry are in ther city and Savage is upstate.

Savage is in Westfield MA. If they managed to stay in business in Massachusetts, any firearm company should. It is a crap state, with morons for government officials!!!!!

Savage is in Westfield MA. If they managed to stay in business in Massachusetts, any firearm company should. It is a crap state, with morons for government officials!!!!!

For some reason I thought they were in upstate NY. My mistake. Kimber and Henry are in NYC. My 1911 says Yonkers, New York on the slide and my Henry says made in Brooklyn.

Isn't Mass synonomus with the'Fork in the road'......:D

IMO, very few states don't have crap politicians.....

If I was them, I'd pull out of their state and move to the mid west just for "principle".

Their assault on the people of NY alone and their rights to protect themselves are unconscionable....IMHO

I don't know what keeps Ruger in NH and H&R in MA either?...The NE isn't friendly to business in general....

For some reason I thought they were in upstate NY. My mistake. Kimber and Henry are in NYC. My 1911 says Yonkers, New York on the slide and my Henry says made in Brooklyn.

Isn't Mass synonomus with the'Fork in the road'......:D

IMO, very few states don't have crap politicians.....

Savage is about an hour from where I live. They host a lot if rifle shoots and invited all the shooters from our club for a tour of the plant. Showed us the production process from start to finish. We were very impressed with the high level of expertise and pride evident with everyone we met. It's no wonder they hole first place in this poll.

Savage is about an hour from where I live. They host a lot if rifle shoots and invited all the shooters from our club for a tour of the plant. Showed us the production process from start to finish. We were very impressed with the high level of expertise and pride evident with everyone we met. It's no wonder they hole first place in this poll.

It's been a while since I've been up there in MA but do they still have that sign on the interstates at the boarder that you need to check any firearms in to state police or "officials" when entering the state?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.