Rifle weight survey

I just finished a 6.5x55 with a 22" McGowen, their #6 (Light Target) contour. This was mated to an FN Mauser 98 commercial action, placed into a Hogue full-Al block stock. The stock is just a hair over 2.5-lbs, the action with the factory bottom metal is just under 2.8-lbs., the barrel is ~3.5-lbs. I'm using a 0 MOA EGW rail on this to permit swapping back and forth from daytime optic to NV; the rail adds a couple of ounces. The scope and ring choices add mass, but this is still a relatively light package at ~9-lbs. Basically, this is my "new" go-to for day and nighttime hunting. I have other rifles chambered in 6.5x55 with longer barrels, but they were built for target shooting. At 22", I'm getting 99.9% - 100% burn (Reloader 26) and still staying under 58K, which is my personal goal. It's a 7-twist, so I can use any of the newer 6.5 projectiles without issue. I'm pushing 140-grain (take your pick) HPBT at 2,875 - 2,890 fps, just under 58K PSI. My deer hunting load uses a 127 LRX at 2,985 fps.

The already moderate recoil of that cartridge is really dampened by the butt pad on the Hogue stock. It's like a Limbsaver; really absorbs the recoil effectively. I do wish that Hogue would make the same stock with a more vertical grip, but I have no real complaints about the hunter-style grip on this one.

I will add a few to help others out. I had a 7-300 built with a Bartlein 3b 28" plus Harrel's side port brake with a Manners EH1 with a .5" Decelerator on a Pierce titanium that weighed 7lbs 5oz.

I had the exact same rifle built with a Pierce chrome moly action in 300 Win mag that weighed 7lbs 9oz.

Prior to the Pierce 300WM I had a Stiller Tac 300 300WM with a Brux #5 contour 27" with a Harrel's side discharge brake in a Manners EH1 with a 1" Decelerator that weighed 8lbs.

All three had fluted barrels.

I can also tell you that the Stocky's Long Range Carbon Fiber stocks with their 1" Decelerator are an oz or two less than the Manner's EH1 with a .5" Decelerator. This is comparing two Stocky's with three Manner's stocks.

Last edited:
By that logic this thread is worthless as any "semi intelligent" person can determine the weights of components. I weigh all my rifles before mounting a scope. I also weigh my rails and rings. The idea for this thread is great for helping people with builds but the odds of using the same scope or mounts is far less than choosing the same stock or barrel contour. Good luck with your data collection.

This is truly surprising. I found this thread quite entertaining. It is far from "worthless".

This is truly surprising. I found this thread quite entertaining. It is far from "worthless".

I don't feel it's worthless I'm simply saying that his statement makes no sense. This thread will undoubtedly help many people.

So far so good imo too. Anyone with half a brain can work backwards at any degree to fill in the blanks of their individual needs.

Rem 700 223 police bdl
26" barrel, 0.80" at the muzzle sendero??
Manners eh1
Leupold steel mark iv rings
Egw aluminum rail
Sightron 10-50x60. 30.1oz
Stock 40x trigger
Tactical bolt handle
11.4lbs.

This one is a little messy but it is what it is.

28 Nosler
Proof sendaro lite 26"
APA Fat Bastard
Stiller predator with 20 MOA
Talley med rings
Wyatts extended box
Leupold LRP 6.5-20
McMillian Gamehunter
3 shells with 195 Bergers
9 lbs 14 oz

30 Nosler
Super Match Pac-Nor 26 in
Pac-Nor 1 1/2 in break
Stiller predator with 20 MOA Rail
Vortex Matched 34 mm rings
Stiller DBM
Wyatts extended box
Vortex 4.5 x 27 x 56 Gen II razor
McMillian A5
Jewell Trigger
17 Lbs

She is a petite little shooter, just dont get on her bad side.

Comp rifle
GAP Tempest 6.5x47
Bushnell HDMR II
Bartlein 23" Heavy Palma
Manners T4A Elite fill with DBM mini-chassis barricade stop
Atlas bipod
16lbs

Shorty comp/hunting hybrid
Bighorn TL3 6.5x47
USO SN-3
Bartlein 18" RV/Sendero contour
Manners EH1 with DBM-mini-chassis
Harris Bipod
12.5lbs loaded

Med Weight Hunter
Bighorn SR3 6.5 SAUM/GAP 4S
Zeiss V6 Conquest 3-18x50
Bartlein 23" 3B contour heavy spiral fluting
Manners MCS-T Elite fill
APA RTG
Harris Bipod
10.5lbs

Here's a couple of my rifles for comparison:

30Nos, Lone Peak Fusion Ti
26" #4 contour plus Hawkins brake
McM Game Scout (27 ounces)
Hawkins Oberndorf bottom metal
Timney trigger
6lbs 15oz bare rifle
8lbs 9oz w/ VX6HD 3-18x50 and Hawkins rings

338RUM, Borden Timberline Magnum
Borden 20 moa Rail (Aluminum)
27" #4 contour plus T3 brake
McM Game Scout 14.125 LOP (28oz)
Hawkins bottom metal
Jewell trigger
7lbs 12oz bare rifle (not including rail)
9lbs 8oz w/ VX6HD 3-18x50, NF ultralight rings and rail

I guess I will contribute my Weatherby Mark V six lug ultralight.

Action: 26 oz
Timney trigger: 2 oz
Proof Research stock: 28 oz
Pac-Nor 26" fluted .257" barrel: 32 oz
Talley light weigh Extra High rings: 2oz
Swarovski z5 5-25X52: 18 oz
Home made aluminum brake: 1 oz

The stock was moved to another Mark V six lug action with a .270 factory barrel. The barrel was changed to a Pac-Nor 24" #1 fluted by Twisted Barrel in 6.5mm chambered in what the 'smith stamped 6.5 Coyle. The new stock is a Pendleton Composite Stock at 20 oz. The new brake is again home made and 2 oz. Instead of the z5 it will have a 22 oz Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50. It is suppose to be in my hand about March 1.

I think it will weigh about the same as before.

Rich, what are your barrel specs of the 32oz barrel, thats light? Also what is the total weight?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.