Rifle weight survey

ohiohunter

Weight is always a consideration when building a rifle or even buying off the shelf. Help others estimate their finished weight, as I am trying to build a lighter weight 6.5cm. I'm trying to figure out what contour barrel would be best, without going to carbon. Been thinking a 22" #3 or a bartlein 2b.

Stiller Predator
Barlein med palma 25"
Mcmillan Game scout
Jewell trigger
stiller rail and seekins rings
sightron bigsky 6.5-20x50
300wm
9.8-10lbs

Last edited:
Here is what I did for comparison:
Lone Peak T.I. Razor Action
Brux #3 fluted 21"
Manners EH-4 stock
Calvin Elite trigger
Swarovski 4x12 1" tube (AV series)??
2 piece Talley Aluminum rings
270SS Chamberings

Field ready weght exactly 7 Lbs.
Oh ya. Kicks like a mule!!!!

6.5 saum
Proof sendero light 24"
McMillan game hunter edge
Lone Peak Razor-ti sa
Leupy vx6hd 3-18x44
7# 4oz no ammo

No optics/rings: 6# even.

Last edited:
Weight is always a consideration when building a rifle or even buying off the shelf. Help others estimate their finished weight, as I am trying to build a lighter weight 6.5cm. I'm trying to figure out what contour barrel would be best, without going to carbon. Been thinking a 22" #3 or a bartlein 2b.

Stiller Predator
Barlein med palma 25"
Mcmillan Game scout
Jewell trigger
stiller rail and seekins rings
sightron bigsky 6.5-20x50
300wm
9.8-10lbs

Unless that scope is really heavy it should be lighter. My friends Rem 700 BDL, wood stock, sling with 4-16 Nikon and 5 rounds of .30-06 is 9 pounds.
My pre-64 M70, with Mcmillian stock. 3.5x15 Nightforce, tally rings, sling, and 4 rounds of .300 H&H is 11 pounds. (The 2 pound difference of caring these in the mountains is dramatic)

Good luck

Jerry

Scope listed 18.3oz. After my February sheep hunt I'm going to put Talley's on the 300, and a mannners eh1.

Savage LA 280rem
Cbi 24" light varmint
Manners htg edge fill
Talley lightweight rings
No scope
8.0lbs

Tikka t3 lite 22-250
Talley LW rings
Buckmaster 4.5-14x40
7.8lbs

If you really want to help others figure out finished rifle weight I would find it more informative to know the weight minus scope and rings as they very so much.

Scope weight is easily accounted for, just check any manufacturer spec sheet.

Yes but then adding up different mounts clouds things. Unless you have the measurements. There are big differences between rails and rings. I'm just saying if you really want to aid in building rifle specs it would be better to leave out optics. Do you want to guess what my Tikka super light weighs with a March 2.5-25x52 with a Talley rail and Seekins rings?

All I'm saying is if you are wanting to help choose components to achieve a certain weight why not eliminate uncertainties? Maybe include both.

All I'm saying is if you are wanting to help choose components to achieve a certain weight why not eliminate uncertainties? Maybe include both.
Be my guest to pull your scope just for a bare rifle weight. Any semi intelligent person can utilize their google and elementary skills to figure out the weight. If you'd like a BARE rifle weight thread, just click the top tab that says new thread. Why are you concerned and why do you insist on sidetracking this topic???

Be my guest to pull your scope just for a bare rifle weight. Any semi intelligent person can utilize their google and elementary skills to figure out the weight. If you'd like a BARE rifle weight thread, just click the top tab that says new thread. Why are you concerned and why do you insist on sidetracking this topic???

By that logic this thread is worthless as any "semi intelligent" person can determine the weights of components. I weigh all my rifles before mounting a scope. I also weigh my rails and rings. The idea for this thread is great for helping people with builds but the odds of using the same scope or mounts is far less than choosing the same stock or barrel contour. Good luck with your data collection.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.