Rifle Vise For Cleaning & Scope Mounting-HELP

dimecovers3

Would like to know if anyone has found the perfect vise to hold a rifle (and shotgun if possible) for rough cleaning and scope mounting that will stay put on the workbench and not mar the stock? It is not important if it can be used to sight-in with.

I believe that Midway sells the Tipton vise, which is reasonbly priced and should meet your needs. It's nothing fancy, but with a couple of small pieces of live rubber, you can get a much better grip on your rifle or shotgun.

...check online at "midwayusa" & "sinclair int" & also "cabelas"... they should have something you'd like... I use a couple of different ones, I think "MTM" makes one for cleaning & one for scope mounting with rubber wedges on both ends & rubber feet pads, both work great; also have a heavy cast metal true vice from Cabelas which is adjustable for just about anything & has adapters with it, also felt padding & it also works great... as far as perfect, the perfect one is always the next one! hope this helps, Larry

After visiting a lot of very good gunsmiths setups I obtained a heavy cast iron 5" Record bench vise and had some jaw sleeves made up of heavy leather and felt at a shoe repair shop. Works perfect for everthing from cleaning to scope installs to doing triggers. Brownells sells this stuff I believe. Expensive and you need a good bench but you will never regret having a good strong vise. All the rifle work is done by grabbing the barrel with the jaws, then you can rotate the receiver and keep it lined up for easy working on. Go to any large armoury and that is how they work on firearms.

Guys, I came up with a perfect set-up for just this problem last year.

Go to a home supply or building supply store and pick up two of the quick clamp work vises. They go by different names but they are a plastic clamp with rubber pads. You skweeze the handles kind of like a caulk gun, this tightens it. There is a small lever past the first handle that you skweeze to release the clamp. They hold very securly. I drilled holes in the guide rod of mine and mounted on the underside surface of my work bench, so the work top is flat and the clamp hangs out past the edge. Or you can weld a bracket to the quide rod and mount it that way. With the rifle hanging in mid-air you can place a trash can at the barrel end to collect patches. It makes a great vise for the stock while inteting and glass bedding because you don't have any obstructions underneath to hampper the action screws. I have mine mounted to grip the stock near the recoil pad and on the fore-end. They hold amazingly tight I have no worries even when working rough that the gun will fall.

TIPTONS AND MTM'S ARE BOTH GOOD PRODUCTS AND THE MTM CAN BE USED WITH ITS BOX UNDERNEATH IT THE VICE PART MOUNTS ON THE PLASTIC TOOL BOX AMM O OR CLEANING SUPPLY BOX.. THE MTM ALSOP HAVE COVERED SLIDING TRAYS THAT WILL HOLD BRUSHES AND PATCHES. BUT IF YOU CAN FIND AN OLD DECKER RIFLE VICE THAT IS THE WAY TO GO.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts