Historical long range shooters.

Rotten

What are your favorite long range shots? And how did those stories inspire you.
3 of my favorites would be Carlos Hathcock, Billy Dixon,
And Jack Hinson. Have you ever tried to duplicate their shots. Also do you think that their story's have been lets say embellished with time?

For me it was Billy Dixon. I would never try to duplicate his shot. It's history, which I enjoy reading and studying, but not necessarily repeating. Besides, I don't know a bartender that would loan me his "Big fifty" Sharps. And today I wouldn't get a US medal of Honor for shooting and Indian out of his saddle. I would get prison time. 🤣

Tim Murphy, and other riflemen of the Revolutionary War. Not what many would think of today, but they really took advantage of the new technology of the time.

Maybe not the longest shot, but Carlos Hathcocks stalk and kill of that enemy officer is likely still considered the top sniper achievement.

My reading of Billy Dixon stuff claims he didn't think much of the shot. Just an unlucky Indian. Some say it might not have been the Indian he aimed at, as there was a group.

Mostly grew up on the old elephant poachers, and share their fascination for up close.

The story of W.M Bell ordering a few thousand rounds of ammunition. And didn't like the stuff so we was shooting birds from on top of a basin. When a couple of hunters asked him what type of shotgun he was using to kill birds so far away.
I think he was using a 257 Rigby but I could be wrong

Carlos Hathcock's achievements held great appeal for me, and a were a primary inspiration for my pursuing LR shooting, and applying it to hunting. His solitary pursuit of a specific quarry where the single shot was critical, and achieved with modern/relevant equipment and techniques under much less then optimum conditions seemed very applicable.

Tim Murphy, and other riflemen of the Revolutionary War. Not what many would think of today, but they really took advantage of the new technology of the time.

Maybe not the longest shot, but Carlos Hathcocks stalk and kill of that enemy officer is likely still considered the top sniper achievement.

My reading of Billy Dixon stuff claims he didn't think much of the shot. Just an unlucky Indian. Some say it might not have been the Indian he aimed at, as there was a group.

Mostly grew up on the old elephant poachers, and share their fascination for up close.
Article on Carlos Hathcocks

The story of W.M Bell ordering a few thousand rounds of ammunition. And didn't like the stuff so we was shooting birds from on top of a basin. When a couple of hunters asked him what type of shotgun he was using to kill birds so far away.
I've read that story multiple times and believe it to be true. He was reputed to be an incredible shot and hunter.

He killed hundreds of elephants with brain shots from that rifle. Of course that would never happen in today's world as the elephant populations are being decimated by humans taking their historic ranges where they lived and thrived due to farming and other human uses.

Those were the days where men were men and many hunters were famous for their exploits. I'm a huge fan of the books detailing their exploits and Peter Hathaway Capstick books are some of my favorites.

I think Hathcock,s ability to get near the NVA General undetected,and then remaining motionless in the grass,while NVA soldiers ran several feet by Carlos,not seeing him, is just as amazing as the killing shot he made on this notorious General! Carlos had nerves of Steel!

For me it was Billy Dixon. I would never try to duplicate his shot. It's history, which I enjoy reading and studying, but not necessarily repeating. Besides, I don't know a bartender that would loan me his "Big fifty" Sharps. And today I wouldn't get a US medal of Honor for shooting and Indian out of his saddle. I would get prison time. 🤣
Billy Dixon described the Adobe Walls shot as "a scratch shot." I've been there many times, and the distance is certainly impressive. However, he was awarded the Medal of Honor later when, scouting for Colonel Nelson Miles, he and several soldiers were involved in the Battle of Buffalo Wallow. The Medal was descended later, as he was a civilian scout, but reinstated 100 years later. He was certainly full of grit and skill.

For 'entertainment' I shoot a Pedersoli made replica of the 1874 Sharps in 45/70. Saturday 12 of us shot various models of the Buffalo hunting Era rifles using black powder loaded cartridges.

Attachments

• 20240511_081344.jpg
    20240511_081344.jpg
    400 KB · Views: 48
  • 20240511_111154.jpg
    20240511_111154.jpg
    519.8 KB · Views: 46
Bell's rifle was a .275 Rigby. Same cartridge as the 7X57 Mauser, but with the designation in inches instead of millimeters. I am very fond of those rifles.

Recent Posts