Rifle Suggestions

Blacktail

Well I am feeling the bug for a new build. I say it will be my last but you know how that goes. Currently have 7-08AI in the 8-9 lb range a forbes 280 6.4 lbs and an 7 mm STW scoped around 9lbs which is an absolute tack driver .5 moa and most of the time a lot less. thing is I just dont shoot it and while recoil isnt bad be nice to see more critters fall in teh scope and dont want to add a brake and have a 28" barrel. As hard as it would be to part with it may just sell. the AI is really cool and teh 280 is pretty nice as i backpack a lot but almost a bit too light for any real 450-500 yard shooting as its a bit hard to hold still at times but when I do a .5 to .75 moa rifle with 140s at about 3120-3140. Trying to decide on which way to go kind of an all around light enuff for packing probabl in the 24" barrel range but can also say reach out to 700 tops. For blacktail, mule deer, lops and elk. Been thinking about a 280AI maybe finished in the 7.5 lb range. Any thoughts guys as i may have Chad Dixon build it so want to nail this one.

Well I am feeling the bug for a new build. I say it will be my last but you know how that goes. Currently have 7-08AI in the 8-9 lb range a forbes 280 6.4 lbs and an 7 mm STW scoped around 9lbs which is an absolute tack driver .5 moa and most of the time a lot less. thing is I just dont shoot it and while recoil isnt bad be nice to see more critters fall in teh scope and dont want to add a brake and have a 28" barrel. As hard as it would be to part with it may just sell. the AI is really cool and teh 280 is pretty nice as i backpack a lot but almost a bit too light for any real 450-500 yard shooting as its a bit hard to hold still at times but when I do a .5 to .75 moa rifle with 140s at about 3120-3140. Trying to decide on which way to go kind of an all around light enuff for packing probabl in the 24" barrel range but can also say reach out to 700 tops. For blacktail, mule deer, lops and elk. Been thinking about a 280AI maybe finished in the 7.5 lb range. Any thoughts guys as i may have Chad Dixon build it so want to nail this one.
With what you already have I'd say you are well prepared for about anything. I would find it very difficult to step down from the STW to the .280 AI. If anything I would say build a lighter version of the STW with a .26" barrel so you can put a good muzzle brake on it.

In all of my rifles I really like having both a heavy and light version and it's served me very well over the years. That way if I want one to carry I have it and if I want to set up high some place and set up for long range I have that option as well.

I have 3 7mm STW's from 7.5lbs up to nearly 16lbs, and have the same in my 300wm's and 300 Rum's.

I had planned to keep it to just one light and one heavy in all of those calibers but inevitably it seems that I always came across a good deal in something in between as well and couldn't resist.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the .280AI, it's a great little round, it's just not as sexy as the STW.:D

I'm a big .280 AI fan...And also an STW fan. And probably one of the biggest 7mm fans on here. But I have to agree with Rose, the .280 AI is not going to keep up with, or replace the STW. I would say the only step you seem to not have is the 7mm RemMag. Which would make for a great rifle for what you describe you are wanting. It is right between the .280 AI and 7mm STW. It hits with magnum authority, but has manageable recoil in a lightweight configuration for those that feel the STW is too much recoil. And with a 26" barrel, you won't need a muzzle brake.

You could also rebarrel your STW action to 7mm RM, and keep the STW barrel for later, or for another future project.

With what you already have I'd say you are well prepared for about anything. I would find it very difficult to step down from the STW to the .280 AI. If anything I would say build a lighter version of the STW with a .26" barrel so you can put a good muzzle brake on it.

In all of my rifles I really like having both a heavy and light version and it's served me very well over the years. That way if I want one to carry I have it and if I want to set up high some place and set up for long range I have that option as well.

I have 3 7mm STW's from 7.5lbs up to nearly 16lbs, and have the same in my 300wm's and 300 Rum's.

I had planned to keep it to just one light and one heavy in all of those calibers but inevitably it seems that I always came across a good deal in something in between as well and couldn't resist.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the .280AI, it's a great little round, it's just not as sexy as the STW.:D

I agree on teh sexy part for sure! Why have a hard time sellng it plus like i said its a shooter! With a 4.5-14x40 leuo right at 9 lb so not too bad. Has a 26" shilen on it. Never have had a brake on anything any types you recommned? Recoil isnt too bad already just hate to go to an overall 28" tube. Thought about recrowning to 24 but kind of defeats the purpose and as accurate as this gun is be afraid to. Same with having barrel fluted. Then again 28" with a saddle or day hunts might not be bad?

I agree on teh sexy part for sure! Why have a hard time sellng it plus like i said its a shooter! With a 4.5-14x40 leuo right at 9 lb so not too bad. Has a 26" shilen on it. Never have had a brake on anything any types you recommned? Recoil isnt too bad already just hate to go to an overall 28" tube. Thought about recrowning to 24 but kind of defeats the purpose and as accurate as this gun is be afraid to. Same with having barrel fluted. Then again 28" with a saddle or day hunts might not be bad?
It's really not about the recoil being "bad" it's about reducing muzzle flip and recoil to allow you to stay on target to see your hits/misses and make for much more rapid follow ups.

Any of them can make for a sore shoulder if you are shooting in volume plinking or at the range.

As for what brakes I like? I have a Snowy Mountain Rifles brake on my M70 Sharp shooter which is fantastic for both reducing muzzle flip and recoil. It was already on the rifle when I bought it and it's not marked so I had a real hard time figuring out who made it.

In scrolling through Ebay one day I came across one of for all intents and purposes a clone of the SMR brake but at a phenomenally good price.

I have a total of nine of them installed on everything from the STW"s to my .375 Ruger Alaskan which is 20" brush/jungle type of almost carbine length and with 300gr bullets and a 80gr's of powder that's a whole lot of muzzle blast. It turned the .375 into my favorite rifle to shoot.

This is the Northwest Precision Muzzle brake. I have the slotted version and I think it may be the best value in a muzzle brake on the market.

There are others that will do the job but this one I really like.

Muzzle Brake Compensator Rifle or Pistol | eBay

One thing I really like on it is if I forget or don't have time to put on hearing protection unlike most muzzle brakes it isn't hard on the ears. Some I've tried I swear will make your eyes and ears bleed but this one's a pleasure to shoot with all the way around.

The two you mentioned with cover 90% of your needs, so either bigger or smaller are your choices...since hunting is involved I always error on the side of more power...if you could find one the most perfect rifle designed for lightweight mountain hunting was the model 7 stainless synthetic in .300 SAUM..how this rifle never caught on is beyond me, lightweight, great accuracy, more than enough power, compact etc...the perfect machine for your mountain hunting needs..they are out there but usually in the $700-1'000 range but well worth every cent...the best lightweight mountain rifle ever produced by a factory... Never be beat by any off the shelfer

It's really not about the recoil being "bad" it's about reducing muzzle flip and recoil to allow you to stay on target to see your hits/misses and make for much more rapid follow ups.

Yep, today's muzzle brakes does a very good job in reducing the felt recoil and the muzzle rise and there are plenty of good ones to choose from.

My latest MB I have installed is Benchmark's mini tactical MB on my .300 WSM and I am very pleased with it, the mini version of the one in the video below ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/FE7HujR0DRA?t=3[/ame]

I have no hands on experience with them ... yet, but here's a couple for the OP's consideration ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/2kl5DHAbDoI[/ame]

and

Ported Muzzle Brakes

Again, there are plenty of good once out there to choose from.

I hunted with my 1st .300 WM for many years before I installed my 1st ever muzzle brake in 2003; seeing your target on impact is priceless. Now most of my hunting rifles sports a muzzle brake and suppressor.

Cheers!

I agree with the muzzle break ideal. But that said if you want a new gun just cuz its fun, if it were me I would really consider a fast twist 270WSM and the new 170gr. EOL hunters from berger. But that's just me!:)

The new Nosler case looks to me to be the perfect high end performing case that needs no wildcat work. For the sake of doing something new that you have not done before, my thinking is something in the Nosler. You have not done a 30 or a 27. We have plans to do a 27 nosler in the near future. Not difficult to work with but still pretty sexy.

Steve

The new Nosler case looks to me to be the perfect high end performing case that needs no wildcat work. For the sake of doing something new that you have not done before, my thinking is something in the Nosler. You have not done a 30 or a 27. We have plans to do a 27 nosler in the near future. Not difficult to work with but still pretty sexy.

Steve

27 Nosler.... That's gonna be a monster:D

........The new Nosler case looks to me to be the perfect high end performing case that needs no wildcat work. For the sake of doing something new that you have not done before, my thinking is something in the Nosler.

I'm looking real close at the .30 Nosler for my next venture. Let some of the better folks work out the kinks.

That's good advice. I try very hard not to jump on the latest fad as well. Give it time and let others experiences accrue to your benefit.

Waiting can be hell though for sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.