Rifle Setup Suggestions

IdahoHunter89

I am currently in the market to get myself a nice hunting rifle setup. I have quite a bit of shooting experience with both small and large calibers but have only begin hunting and taken my first game this past fall with the help of a few buddies. I really enjoyed it and its something I see myself doing for the rest of my life. With that being said I am looking to come prepared next season with my own rifle in hand.

What I am looking for is a great all-around, big-game gun that will last me well into the fore-seeable future. I do believe in quality-over-quantity and really would like to do my research and get a setup (rifle & scope) that I will not feel the need to "upgrade" in 5-10 years when I'm more experienced and am after "trophy" animals like some of my buddies who have been hunting since they were kids do. Most shots will be taken at at least 200 yards and will range out to as far as I can prove to myself to have the ability to efficiently shoot ethically kill... I want a gun that is capable to shoot and kill past the level I set for myself as to have room to "grow" into the range and expand my abilities (hope that makes sense).

I've done a fair amount of research via the internet and speaking with some experienced hunters and have concluded that the 7mm Rem Mag is, (among many other cartridges I'm sure) a great round to suit my big-game hunting desires here in Idaho. The flat and fast nature of the round is appealing to me and it has the ability to take large game from a great distance which is a trait that will be quite valuable in some of the terrain I will be hunting up here...oh and it is widely available. The .270 Win was also in consideration as was the highly-decorated .30-06 but I feel the 7mm Rem Mag is a good fit. Also considered some larger mags like .300 Win Mag which would be great for elk BUT i feel it would be overkill for deer...especially the whitetail up north that I will be hunting fairly often.

I will mostly be hunting deer and elk but will surely at some point also try for black bear and moose (when i can get a tag) as well as the possibility of going up to hunt Caribou with a relative in Canada. Versatility and ability to take a wide variety of game is top priority with this rifle.

As far as the kind of hunting i plan to be doing? Im not sure. It'll probably vary as I become more experienced and have established game-rich areas. My first trip this fall consisted of spotting and stalking as well as setting up at a location prior to dawn where game was known to heavily pass through in which I was able to take a nice, comfortable and un-rushed shot. Therefore I am not looking for a SUPER lightweight rifle nor one that is extremely heavy. Part of me would actually rather endure a slightly heavier rifle if it means improved stability, recoil management and most importantly...accuracy. Also should probably note that Im looking for at least 24" barrel and ideally a 26" given my chosen caliber. That being said however, I still dont want an EXTREMELY heavy rifle.

Okay so with all that taken into consideration what are some good rifles and scopes that would suit my needs. As I said I am interested in quality over quantity and am willing to put some decent cash into this....say $2,000 - $4,000 for rifle, scope and necessary accessories (e.g. scope rings, mounts, sling, upgraded recoil pad, etc.).

I have found a few items that have spikes my interest as follows:

RIFLES - Sako 85s / Weatherby Mark V / Remington 700 Sendero / Kimber 8400s

SCOPES - Leupold VX-3s / Swavorski Z3s / Vortex

* Just a note that this past fall I used a buddy's Tikka T3 Light with a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x50 in 7mm Rem Mag. Loved the scope but not the gun...It shot well but just felt too 'flimsy' to me and wasn't a fan of its use of plastic.

Positive input will be very much appreciated...negative input will not.

Thanks!

Glad to have you on the site you will get a lot of good information on this topic. With what you said and the choices you mentioned I would go with the Remington 700 Sendero in 7 Ultra Mag.

Glad to have you on the site you will get a lot of good information on this topic. With what you said and the choices you mentioned I would go with the Remington 700 Sendero in 7 Ultra Mag.

Thanks for the input WyoElk2Hunt!

I do like the Sendero quite a bit.

I am not very fairly familiar with the 7 Ultra Mag. One of the main reasons I opted to go with the 7mm rem mag is the availability of ammo. Can you elaborate on the difference of the two a bit if you don't mind. Availability of Ultra Mag ammo? Price difference?

It is a 7mm on steroids. Burns up barrels faster and cost more to shoot so 7mm is probably a better way to go for the long run. It will do everything you need to do.

X 2 on the sendero recomendation. I have one in 7 mag and I love it. Top it off with a vortex viper pst in 6 x 24-50 EBR-1 moa ffp and you'll be set for many years to come. You'll also have some extra cash for mounts, slings, bipods etc.

Just throwing it out there, but how bout a full on custom rifle from the start something like this one in a 7mm rem mag?

Attachments

• 406snwy.jpg
    406snwy.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 406angleview.jpg
    406angleview.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 55
Just throwing it out there, but how bout a full on custom rifle from the start something like this one in a 7mm rem mag?

Have never shot one of these rifles, but have looked at a few pics/specs of them on this site. I think this may be a very good recommendation for you. These seem to be nice long range rigs ( considering the components these use) and an attractive price point as well. This would definitely be a rig you could grow with.

With the price range you've laid out I'd second the above suggestions of going with the Sendero.

I would go with 300wm vs the 7mm Mag, or the 7mm STW.

If you are dedicated and have the talent you will soon be exceeding the capabilities of the 7RM.

I own and shoot both the 7mm STW (currently 2 with a third on the way) as well as two 300wm's and a 300 Rum.

Out of them all, all things considered from recoil, to availability of factory ammo and components, to what they are capable of, the 300wm is by far the one that trumps the rest.

As soon as you get the rifle have pillars installed and a good bedding and trigger jobs done and then put your remaining budgeted dollars into the best glass you can afford.

Of course don't hesitate to start with the classifieds here at LRH. There's nothing wrong with picking up a good used rifle from one of our members. I've bought several that way so far and plan on picking up a couple more as soon as I get a few extra dollars rolling in.

From this topic appearing weekly and with all of the articles I have read (which is about and hour a day for the last year or so). I would highly recommend a used sendero. Burn that barrel and either keep the original caliber or change it. Do your research and do as much as you can to achieve greater and greater accuracy. After about 4 boxes of factory ammo you will have enough once fired brass to get good load going. You will need to load your own if you are going to putting in the trigger time to achieve that convedence needed to take an animal at theses ranges. Grow with the gun. A 7 RM is a great caliber but a 7 stw is almost in a league of its own. I would highly recommend reloading. Even if its just for this one rifle. I would check the classifieds here like Rosie said. These guys have helped me and I'm sure many others in this problem.

Oh I am building a 700 now and outside the cost of the gun I will have an easy 2300-2500 in it when she is finished. Full custom doesn't sound so bad to me now. But I have a sweet spot for this gun for some reason. I think I just want to see be all she can be. But good luck on your quest and welcome to LRHM, its full facts and tips you would like to know.

I'm just throwing out a semi custom. Don't mess with factory tubes. Especially with a 5-10 year gun. Either get a doner 700, use a good smith to true and screw a brux krieger etc. jewel trigger.

Or go full custom, seems you save a bit going barreled action. Stocking them yourself.

1200-1500 for 700. 1500-? For custom. 700 ish for pieces and parts.

Just saying I've cleaned and shot a fair amount of factory tubes. For me life is too short for factory tubes or triggers. And it would seem your budget allows for some wiggle room

7 mag is good. My personal choice is a 300. Research to 280ai too. 284. For sevens. My seven is a saum

Lastly, one of your friends must reload, take a look into it. Best avenue for accuracy and budget to shoot more often, And shoot more often

I've been down this road before myself and I still can't quite get my mind around buying a factory rifle and then tearing it down and replacing 80% of the parts and paying a smith to true the action swap out the barrel and remove and or tune the factory trigger only to find the cost of the project rival that of a full custom rifle?

When we decided to offer a rifle package for sale it was exactly the above issue we where trying to address and we had two goals in mind.

1. Create the best shooting long range shooting platform we could
2. Keep the cost where the average working man could save up and actually buy one!

I think given the following components and cost we have come as close to that as possible...we have used some of the best components available in our packages. These are a true custom rifle.

This package is includes the following options.

Custom Snowy Mtn Action
Fluted Bolt with tacticle bolt knob and m-16 ectractor
Snowy Mtn 20 moa base
Jewell Trigger
Benchmark Match grade 24" barrel
custom cerekote barrel and action
Snowy Mtn muzzle break for a 26" finished barrel
Snowy Mtn Bottom Metal
AI MAGS available in 5 and 10 round capacity
Custom painted bell and carleson a2 stock with aluminum bedding system.
Vortex 6x24-50 sfp PST moa rifle scope
Vortex PMR Rings
Harris 6-9" bipod
406 rear shooting bag
Pelican Hard Case

Package Price: $ 3836.00

Bare Rifle Price: $2836.00
This price reflects the base rifle price of 2550.00 and the 11.2% fed tax that is applied to the sale. As a result the package price has also been adjusted from the original price of 3550.00 to reflect this new tax.

The 406 rifle is currently available for order in the following calibers.

260, 308, 7mm rem mag, 300 win mag. It can also be special ordered in most common calibers that fit in a standard short or long action.

If you are interested in a rifle, but would like something diffrent from the package or bare rifle please feel free to contact us ...Snowy Mountain Rifles is a full service custom gun shop and can meet any of your custom rifle needs.

Accuracy Guarantee:

The guarantee is simple if it doesn't shoot 1/2 moa or better it doesn't leave the shop and if your not happy with the performance in any way 406 and Snowy Mtn Rifles stand behind each rifle 100% and will do what ever it takes to remedy the problem.

These rifles are all match grade components built by a very talented group of individuals who have accuracy and precision in their blood. This package was put together to get a precision long range package into peoples hands with out breaking their wallet.

The last 406 rifle off the floor had no problem shooting .4 with factory ammo during test fire and shoots better than that with hand loads.

We can't guarantee that your going to receive your rifle and wake up as Carlos Hathcock reincarnate... but we can say it will provide you with an outstanding platform to build and develop your long range skills.

The biggest determining factor in your success as a shooter will always be you! There is no equipment in the world that will make a poor shooter a great shooter that comes down to mechanics, practice and natural ability.

At 406 we call it the RDR department. (rounds down range) that's what makes a shooter.

Attachments

• 406rifle.jpg
    406rifle.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 406range.jpg
    406range.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 53
I'd have to agree with everyone here suggesting a custom build, if you get exactly what you wan the first time it makes life a whole lot happier. But you will want to reload, factory ammo sucks! I run a 7mm Dakota on a remmy 700 and HS stock, that setup will drop whatever I want it to with the matrix 190's. When you go up in caliber, you go up in recoil, muzzle blast and $$ every time you pull the trigger. Good luck and most of all have fun!
Chris
Benchmark Barrels

Wow...Thank you every body for the awesome advice. Lots of good stuff to consider here. Sounds like there are some good supporters for the round I have chosen which I am pleased to see. Will definitely begin some research into getting started reloading now as well.

I think I will look into some of these custom-built rifles that have been mentioned. I have been aware of them and after seeing some of the prices I initially figured they were out of my reach but then-again I guess I dont have to buy a gun tomorrow and can save up for a couple months and increase my budget. I like what you recommended "406precision" and will definitely check out what you guys are offering.

Thanks again everybody!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.