new rifle suggestions

It is not the bullet of the caliber but the placement of a bullet that results in and clean kill. Have taken some 20 rlk with my 270 Feathereeight, 130 gr Sierra bullets, can not recall one dvrf going more than 40 yards, most drop in in their tracks! I now hunt archery, taken 5 bulls, one nsfd it 50 yards, most have good 15 - 20! Shot placement, accuracy, and knowing anatomy is key to hunting anything!

Try buying an action that uses savage prefit barrels, arc nucleus, bighorn, etc. then buy a proof prefit and a Manners with a mini chassis, home made top notch custom rifle!

I'm having a Barloc installed on my next Tikka for that reason.

It is not the bullet of the caliber but the placement of a bullet that results in and clean kill. Have taken some 20 rlk with my 270 Feathereeight, 130 gr Sierra bullets, can not recall one dvrf going more than 40 yards, most drop in in their tracks! I now hunt archery, taken 5 bulls, one nsfd it 50 yards, most have good 15 - 20! Shot placement, accuracy, and knowing anatomy is key to hunting anything!

This is exactly true. The 270 will also shoot flatter and hold more energy, and penetrate more than the 308 at all ranges, while having similar recoil.

I also second the Tikka recommendations. The Superlite is about a light of a factory gun as you can get, the action is the smoothest of any out of the box gun I've ever tried, and they are basically 1/2 MOA out of the box, though they only guarantee one. It really ticks all the boxes other than LoP. The factory stock is light enough that a restock usually wont save you much if any weight, but you could get a diff length of pull. Or just get a smith to cut the factory stock down an inch and install a pad.(Or do it yourself if comfortable). The only downside to the Tikka IMO is if you want a short action, they don't really make one. They just use a tighter bolt stop.

Good luck!

Not sure I need to cut it down, she is 5'6" at 14 and growing like a weed.

So far have decided I will definitely go 6.5CM, been wanting one for a while and I still have plenty of other rifles even after I sell the two Wby's. Will move on to finding a bigger bore LR rifle after this one is set up.

narrowed down to a few:
CA Mesa (would have already bought if it had det. mags)
Tikka T3x either CTR (a stock I MAY be able to live with)
or Superlite and re-stock it
Sako A7 Roughtech

looks like all of these will put me at roughly $900-$1100.

The Fierce Fury looks great but just not sure I can justify the pretty much double price for a carry-around rifle. For a true LR, sure though.

One thing to consider with those choices is the Sako will have an actually short action. Tikka only makes a long. The bolt throw on the sako will be a little shorter too due to the 3 lug bolt vs 2 on the Tikka. They will likely shoot the same. The Sako is like double the price but if you're re-stocking the Tikka anyways it will probably be close.

I bought a 6.5CM for the same purpose last year. Went with the Kimber Hunter and topped it off with a Leupold 4.5x14x40 and it weighs in at 7.2 if I remember correctly. Kicks noticeably less than my 10lb 25-06.

There are probably better rifles than the Kimber Hunter in the same price range but it shoots around 1moa with factory loads and I am looking forward to playing with hanfloads in it. I have only shot a bear with it so far but will be using it for elk season as well. I am enjoying carrying a light, little rifle for the time being.

One thing to consider with those choices is the Sako will have an actually short action. Tikka only makes a long. The bolt throw on the sako will be a little shorter too due to the 3 lug bolt vs 2 on the Tikka. They will likely shoot the same. The Sako is like double the price but if you're re-stocking the Tikka anyways it will probably be close.

this has actually helped a bunch. a "good" Sako is the same if not more than the Mesa, a Tikka set up how I would like (plus a quality stock) is well over that price as well. I am thinking I pull trigger on Mesa this week @ $1,100.

I bought a 6.5CM for the same purpose last year. Went with the Kimber Hunter and topped it off with a Leupold 4.5x14x40 and it weighs in at 7.2 if I remember correctly. Kicks noticeably less than my 10lb 25-06.

There are probably better rifles than the Kimber Hunter in the same price range but it shoots around 1moa with factory loads and I am looking forward to playing with hanfloads in it. I have only shot a bear with it so far but will be using it for elk season as well. I am enjoying carrying a light, little rifle for the time being.

I am looking forward to a light handy rifle too that doesn't beat me up. My daughter is really excited about shooting something a little more forgiving as well. The .257 Wby was Ok for me but it definitely got her attention. I will likely be putting an FFP scope of a higher magnification on this too, like 5ish X 25ish. The PST 4-16x50 did not cut it for varmint fun and target shooting.

Christen arms ridge line might be worth checking out. I have one in a 7mm rm that seems to be a decent rifle. The 6.5 cm seems to be popular now days. You might consider something like the 7mm rm especially for the elk. Can use a heavier bullet and an elk can take a lot of killing. Still can purchase ammo almost anywhere. And if you don't reload there is a good selection of factory ammo. Barrel life should be decent. My 12 year old grandson can shoot it very comfortable. Good luck
Good recommendation. You can load the 7mm RM with light bullets and light loads for the wife and small kids or load it up to it's maximum potential for big game.

Many long years ago a friend decided to put bot he and his 10yo very small framed son in for elk tags hoping one of them might draw. Both did so he was in the same predicament.

The solution was the 7RM shooting 120gr bullets and a reduced load.

The kid killed his elk stone dead with a perfect shoulder/spine shot at around 200yds.

A prouder dad never lived.

Dad got one too but it wasn't nearly as pretty, badly wounded, long track and a total of 5 shots before finally bringing it down.

thanks for the input guys.

To clarify I want to get a mid range family rifle for all members to use. Not necessarily a "do-all" rifle.

I have .25-06, .257 wby, .308, .30-06, .30-378 wby in centerfire bolt guns to fill in gaps and AR's in 5 chamberings so not lacking in choices. Just wanting a solid, mild, middle of road caliber for yotes, goats, muley's and maybe elk for an easy, no brain damage shooter.

Full disclosure: I have not shot a 6.5 of any flavor but am thinking it milder than .25-06 and seemingly more versatile.
Certainly a much better section of bullets for the 6.5's and 7's.

May be a little hotter than I am looking for.

I was looking at the CA Mesa and Ridgeline online last night, the Mesa is really nice for the price. The Bergara is nice, especially the Pro, but you are already mid 9's to almost 10lb bare.

While I would like that I do not think "light" and "adjustable" go together. I really just want my oldest to be able to shoot it and she is a teenager so not TOO big a gap to fill.

So far for what I am seeing the CA Mesa and Roughtech look the best to me without getting too crazy on cost. The Havak also looks good but that is bumping up to $1800ish.
You can load down the 6.5PRC with light bullets and light loads for the daughter and load it up as you'd like for yourself.

I shoot several 6.5's from the .260RM to 6.5LRM (6.5x375Ruger) and I think the PRC could be a great fit for you. Best of all as the girl grows up and recoil becomes less of an issue she'll be more than capable of handling the full power loads.

Personally, extending to 500 yards, I'd be looking for a 30cal hole if restricting to lower recoiling rounds. Probably a 308Win. If you're willing to shorten to 300ish, I'd say a 270 and perhaps 6.5 is OK.

I guess I'm conservative but I've seen elk absorb a LOT of punishment. Last season I witnessed a guy pump four rounds of 7mmMag through a herd bull from ~150-200 yards, it covered an amazing amount of ground. Shot the satellite with my 338 from 720, crumpled on the spot.

Where I hunt elk the 270 is VERY popular, but 300 yards is pretty much the limit of what people shoot with it. I'd move up caliber as you move out.
The problem was the shot placement/bullet combo, the 7RM is more than capable of one shot kills on Elk from 800-1000yds. A good friend of ours who guided in CO for more than twenty years has killed over 40 of them with his over the years out to well beyond 800, most of which fell stone dead with a single well paced shot and the Nosler Partition shooting a compressed load of H870.

It would also limit you considerably when it comes to loading your own .

The longer action eliminates that problem from the start.

I've heard from numerous people to stay away from Montana Rifle Company. ****** customer service and for the money you can get something way better.

CA or Weatherby are nice from what I have heard on here. I personally own a Tikka T3 that I love but sound like you want something a little higher end then that.

As for caliber the ole 30-06 is not sexy but gets the job done especially under 400 yards. Otherwise maybe pick up a Mesa in .300 Win.

I've heard from numerous people to stay away from Montana Rifle Company. ****** customer service and for the money you can get something way better.

CA or Weatherby are nice from what I have heard on here. I personally own a Tikka T3 that I love but sound like you want something a little higher end then that.

As for caliber the ole 30-06 is not sexy but gets the job done especially under 400 yards. Otherwise maybe pick up a Mesa in .300 Win.
MRC figured out they had some problem people a few years ago and got rid of them. My dealings with them over the last couple of years though have been flawless so I'm thinking they probably worked it out.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.