Rifle Selection

Get a proof barrel, pick whatever action you like, im partial to the iota kremlin stock but it's all personal preference, trigger if your choice somehow i got Huber 2 stage match triggers in my rifles, id go for 6.8 western for caliber

so lets assume he will only shoot quality factory loads.
3) Use for hunting 100-800 yards and target work out to at least 1200.

Given these two constraints, the most important factor is the ammunition and the bullet. Most hunting style bullets do not perform well as target bullets especially at 1,200 yards. There might be an exception but they are not loaded in factory ammunition. It will take some studious searching and maybe even some conversations to help with these selections.

If on the other hand, shooting targets at 1,200 yards is just for piddling fun;), nearly any of the higher performance factory ammunition can be made to work.

Also be sure to consider the barrel twist rate when trying to find accurate factory ammunition.

After all is said and done, be sure to purchase as much ammunition as you can find in the same lot number to assure you of a long life of hunting and targets shooting!

Enjoy!

:)

I would look at a 300PRC with Berger ammunition. The loaded 205's and or the 245's would be great practice ammo and serious long range Elk medicine.

Another route would be to use a company like Copper Creek, buy a load dev pack and let them load the ammo.

Builds top fuel dragster
Runs 83 octane regular unleaded
Wonders why performance is not there

For the criteria you stated, I would go with either a 7RM or .300WM. They have a huge selection of factory ammo options so the chances of finding something that shoots great is better with more selections to test.

Good friend of mine is interested in purchasing a custom rifle and I'm trying to give him some help. Here is what I've heard from him:
1) Wants a custom build. He's owns several nice factory rifles (Sako, Tikka, etc.) but really wants to go with a custom build, it will be his first.
2) Utilize factory ammo only--he is not interested in reloading. I've offered to help on this but he really wants to shoot factory ammo for a variety of reasons so lets assume he will only shoot quality factory loads.
3) Use for hunting 100-800 yards and target work out to at least 1200. Game would be whitetail at distance, mule deer and elk.
4) Heavy enough to be easy to target shoot but not a 20lb gun either.
5) He is willing to spend good money to get it right, cry once buy once thought process.

Looking for:
1) What gunsmith/shop would be a good fit given no reloading
2) Thoughts on calibers given factory ammo only constraint

Thanks for your input!
I would build a 7 PRC and be done with it. As far as builder there are pile that can assemble rifles with ease. The biggest issue is the components chosen for the build. IF you don't have a local smith then pick someone such as Kinport Peak Rifles and have them spin up a barrel on a custom action. I like an action that be fitted with prefit barrels, floating and changeable heads, on a remington foot print. You can have barrels spun up and swap around with ease to configure a custom into multiple platforms for shooting varmints to grizzlies.

Given he is not interested in reloading, I don't think do it yourself prefits would be in his wheelhouse. Find a smith that does load development and will provide custom ammo to those specs. Buy enough for the life of the barrel. It is not for the weak of wallet, but it sounds like this maybe for bragging rights.