LRH&S Caliber and rifle selection help.

WyoHanz

I am new to the whole long range hunting scene. However I have messed around with my .223 and .308 at 1000 yards. I am looking into getting a new rifle for hunting and general shooting out to 1000-1200 yards. I will use it mainly for elk, antelope, and deer hunting and if the selection allows, load down for coyotes and such. I do reload but being a college student I don't have the funds that some others may have. I like the idea of a short mag but am still up for suggestions as far as the caliber goes.

As far as brand selection goes I have a Savage 223 and a Howa 308 that I have no issues with. I was looking into the Tikka T3 series and wouldn't mind having one of those. I am not partial to any specific brand and would gladly buy anything that shoots well out of the box. That being said I do have a limited budget and was looking at spending no more than $1200 when it is all said and done with rifle, optics, and accessories. There is a gunsmith here that makes brakes that he guarantees 80% recoil reduction and was looking at getting one of those installed.

With the Vortex scope and muzzle brake I am looking at $700 for the rifle. Thanks in advance and any help would be appreciated!

I'm fairly new to long range shooting as well, but I have been shooting for a while and reloading for about 2.5 years now...

As a college student, I definitely understand having to do things on a bit more of a limited budget than others who may have a career. However, I do think you can get a great set-up for your price.

I bought a Remington Sendero in 7mm Rem. Mag about a year ago and it has been a pleasure to shoot. It took me a bit to find the right load, but once I did, putting bullets into the same hole at 100 yards is no problem. I shopped around and found my Sendero online for $1050 which was about $150 less than most local stores BEFORE tax.

As far as rifles, I have a Tikka T3 270 WSM and it's a great rifle. I wouldn't say it's the best long range rig though. It's a pencil thin barrel and also the magazine limits how far you can seat a bullet out of the case. No prob for most, but your heavier long range bullets may have problems with such a short magazine.

Typically, medium to heavy barreled rifles will do a bit better. My Sendero is a little on the heavy side (26" heavy barrel) but it is very accurate. I topped it with a Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x44 (Bought the Demo model from cameraland.com)

I'd check out the Savage Long Range Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor or 7mm Rem Mag. A 300 WSM would be great as well, but a little on the spendy side for factory ammo.

Good luck in the search! It's always fun to pick up a new rifle. Check out gun broker.com to see if you can find a better deal on the firearm. Chances are you may pay a bit for shipping and 20-30 for a transfer fee, but it'll come out cheaper in the end.

I'm fairly new to long range shooting as well, but I have been shooting for a while and reloading for about 2.5 years now...

As a college student, I definitely understand having to do things on a bit more of a limited budget than others who may have a career. However, I do think you can get a great set-up for your price.

I bought a Remington Sendero in 7mm Rem. Mag about a year ago and it has been a pleasure to shoot. It took me a bit to find the right load, but once I did, putting bullets into the same hole at 100 yards is no problem. I shopped around and found my Sendero online for $1050 which was about $150 less than most local stores BEFORE tax.

As far as rifles, I have a Tikka T3 270 WSM and it's a great rifle. I wouldn't say it's the best long range rig though. It's a pencil thin barrel and also the magazine limits how far you can seat a bullet out of the case. No prob for most, but your heavier long range bullets may have problems with such a short magazine.

Typically, medium to heavy barreled rifles will do a bit better. My Sendero is a little on the heavy side (26" heavy barrel) but it is very accurate. I topped it with a Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x44 (Bought the Demo model from cameraland.com)

I'd check out the Savage Long Range Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor or 7mm Rem Mag. A 300 WSM would be great as well, but a little on the spendy side for factory ammo.

Good luck in the search! It's always fun to pick up a new rifle. Check out gun broker.com to see if you can find a better deal on the firearm. Chances are you may pay a bit for shipping and 20-30 for a transfer fee, but it'll come out cheaper in the end.

+1 on that. I hear thats a terrific rifle and you cant go wrong with either caliber. I shoot a ruger predator 6.5 Creedmoor and i love it! I have it topped of with a Vortex viper ps-t 4-16X50 and im getting one hole 5 shot groups. If your thinking Creedmoor then definitely give the ruger predator a look.

Thanks waspocrew. I was actually looking at the Tikka T3 in 270 WSM because I was able to pick up reloading dies for a steal. However, if the 7mm Rem Mag or even WSM carries a little heavier at the range I will look into that.

I was looking at either the Rem 700 Long range or even the Savage Long Range hunter as they both have a little heavier longer barrels.

Also I was going to top whatever I get with a Vortex Viper HST 4-16x44 with the MOA/MOA reticle.

Thanks again waspocrew for your response I'll take it all into consideration.

I'd go with the Rem 700 Long Range in 7mm RemMag.

I don't like Savages. But everybody knows that by now. :D

Yep and that you love AI rounds:D I think the op should go with the 7mmRM. Its a great all around cartridge with plenty of knock down powergun) Load it up with some Berger 168 hunting vlds and watch things tumble.

Thanks Creedmoor and MudRunner I'll more than likely be going with the 7mmRM. Rifle is up for decision now. Have to go to the local store and see what I can't order with employee discount.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.