Caliber selection for my next rifle?

Brydawg512

Hello all,

Would like some opinions on caliber recommendations for my next rifle - this will be a custom.

I hunt elk, deer, and bear. I would like a caliber that can take all of these animals around the 700 yard range, however, wouldn't be completely overkill at closer ranges.

Thanks in advance!

Hello all,

Would like some opinions on caliber recommendations for my next rifle - this will be a custom.

I hunt elk, deer, and bear. I would like a caliber that can take all of these animals around the 700 yard range, however, wouldn't be completely overkill at closer ranges.

Thanks in advance!
What do you currently have in your inventory?

You could stick with the 300 win, if you reload you got all the stuff for it.
Any more there are almost to many choices. Another question is what kind of rifle you going to build? Barrel length, short/long action, etc.? Another one is do you reload?

Those are two solid calibers for those game you are pursuing. My dad and I have a pair of 300 RUMS that we use for everything. Covid and limited components taught us that the 300 RUM isn't over kill on deer. We both have 7mags as well, but we reach for the RUMs when we know long shots could be possible. Elk, RUM's every single time. If I was able to do a custom, I'd do a 300 Terminator or 338 Terminator. Those are the extremes of both calibers, at least my opinion. I got into reloading a couple of months before Covid showed up and I was able to gather a little stock before things disappeared.

You could stick with the 300 win, if you reload you got all the stuff for it.
Any more there are almost to many choices. Another question is what kind of rifle you going to build? Barrel length, short/long action, etc.? Another one is do you reload?

I'm looking for a 26" barrel with a long action. Overall I am not looking to build an "ultra light" rifle, however, want the entire, loaded rifle under 10lbs so it is still packable.

I don't currently reload, however am working on picking up the rest of the equipment I need

I'm looking for a 26" barrel with a long action. Overall I am not looking to build an "ultra light" rifle, however, want the entire, loaded rifle under 10lbs so it is still packable.

I don't currently reload, however am working on picking up the rest of the equipment I need
For a reloading, there are a pile of 30 cal cartridges to choose from. I'd stick with a 30 cal or large for the distance your wanting to shoot, there is nothing wrong with the smaller calibers, they can do the job, got a 264 Win myself, but 30 cal and larger seems to handle elk at distance better. For a gun shooting factory ammo, it seems hard to beat the 300 PRC, from what I've seen and read it shoots awesome with the factory stuff.
Do you currently shoot 700 yards with your 7mm and 300?

Last edited:
Given your requirements, the list of calibers is going to be LONG....

6.5 PRC, SAUM, a lot of the 7mm and .30 offerings

Do you want short or long action? Reload? Probably a couple of the first questions to answer.

I would go a 338, maybe a RUM or Edge.
If not, then a fast, faster than 7RM, 7mm.
STW, Nosler or RUM.
If you want light and fast, then a 6.5 magnum would also fill the bill. 264WM, 26 Nosler, 6.5-300 Weatherby or 6.5WSM/SAUM.

Cheers.

For a reloading, there are a pile of 30 cal cartridges to choose from. I'd stick with a 30 cal or large for the distance your wanting to shoot, there is nothing wrong with the smaller calibers, they can do the job, got a 264 Win myself, but 30 cal and larger seems to handle elk at distance better. For a gun shooting factory ammo, it seems hard to beat the 300 PRC, from what I've seen and read it shoots awesome with the factory stuff.
Do you currently shoot 700 yards with your 7mm and 300?
Currently, no. This is all the end goal. I have shot almost to 800 yards, but just for fun. Wanting to ensure my rifle and ammunition are up to the tax so then I can focus on myself.

Given your requirements, the list of calibers is going to be LONG....

6.5 PRC, SAUM, a lot of the 7mm and .30 offerings

Do you want short or long action? Reload? Probably a couple of the first questions to answer.
Long action, and going to start reloading. Just waiting on a few parts.