Rifle ranges above 5000'

backyardsniper

I'm going to be heading out next weekend for the LRH group hunt in Wyoming and I'm looking for a good range where I can verify my dope for the elevation we will be hunting at. We live at 300'ASL here in Ky so there is quite a difference when I get up to where we will be hunting. I have good velocity data, as well as good dope for here at home and I'm zeroed for 100yds which shouldn't change between here and there. My plan is to run my velocity through the calculator on here for the altitude that we will be hunting at. I would really like to put some steel on target at elevation and make sure all my calculations are correct before it's time to get busy with the real thing. Calculators are good but nothing replaces good old fashioned Done On Previous Engagement at the same altitude and temps that you will be operating in.
I can either take I 70 through Kansas, Colorado and then go north or cut north earlier and take I 80 all the way across so if anyone knows of any good places to shoot on that 1600 mile stretch of road please let me know. I will have some extra time and will be making about a 3 day road trip out of it anyway so I can stray from the path a little if need be to find a good place to shoot and collect some real world data before we hit the mountain. Thanks guys

I just spoke with the RSO of the Gypsum gun club. About 35mi west of Vail, Co right off 70. Super nice guy and they have some steel out to 500yds. Elevation 7400' I believe. Thought I would put that up on here for anybody else looking for a spot.

That is awesome. I had palnned to spend a few days in Jackson priornto going down to alpine to hunt. Would you send me the details on where to find yall. That will definitely be a big help.

You have a good mind set regarding verifying at the higher elevation but your mind set is not as good when you state that your zero should not change between here and there. That is a lot miles to travel and with a lot of elevation changes. Have lots of fun on the shoot and good luck. Report back.

Well. We'll say hopefully won't change, but a chance to double check it and fix it if need be before head up to camp will definitely make me rest a little easier

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts