Rifle in .223 cal for LR practice

What about the stainless Howa Mini Weatherby Vanguard barreled action with the 8 twist?

I have a coworker that has one he's been wanting to sell or trade for a 7 twist AR, which I have a couple.

****Edit****

After a text message, it's a Vanguard action and it may be a 9 twist, he's going to verify for me, but everything I can find points to it being the slower.

We shot a bunch of 8T service rifle uppers before. They shot well. We did encounter a couple that proved marginal for the 80s that we shot up to 1000 yards. We believe that is due to twist tolerances. I heard button barrels could be +/- .25 turn. For 75 class VLD type loaded for single loading in 2.450 or longer COL you could be well served by the 8T. Certainly, MK262s class ammo would be great in the 8T magasine loaded.

I think I'd be looking for a 7 or 8 if you want to run heavies. That 9 is going to be marginal with a 70 grain vld.

The only issue I have with the mini is you're limited to a small case design vs a standard action.

Looking at getting another rifle for long range practice. Something cheaper than my other larger cartridges to reload. Thinking .223 but may go with a 22-250. Still cheaper than a PRC.

I was looking at a Tikka T3 varmint- heavier barrel, already own Tikka's. Have an AG stock that would work. BUT, cant find them in stock. They have the lighter barrel in stock.

I could go with the T3 Lite…. Or other suggestions?
My long range rifles are a 6.5-06 and a CA MPR 300PRC. I can get a CA MPR in 223 but seems like a waste of funds just for practice.
I picked up a Bergara 223 trainer a few months ago and have been pleasantly surprised. I really like it. No surprises. Good value and not expensive. Think???

My brother is a relatively new shooter. I bought him a Savage 112 BVSS in .223. It has a 26" heavy barrel and a heavy laminated stock to match. The trigger is better than you'd expect on a factory rifle. The twist measures out @ 8.5".

I've been loading everything from Hornady 50gr V-Max to Sierra 77gr TMKs. Virtually everything shot well. Numerous 5-shot groups came in under an inch at 200yds.

And if you get tired with it, a barrel swap is pretty easy.
I also have a savage 112 BVSS I put a different trigger and a 29" 1-7 Bartline barrel glass bedded it it shoots one hole groups at 200

Haven't seen their 223 trainer at my LGS
See if they will order one for you. I had to have my lgs do that. Real fun and a great tool for training. Take a look at the Bragara web site for info. No I don't work for them or get $ from them, if you were wondering. Stay safe and have fun.

Im in the 223 camp. I took a 700 barreled action and put it in a B&C stock. It hammers to 500 with 69smks. It will shoot 75s sub MOA as well but the 69s shoot a weeee better.

I run a 223 with 88's and shoot it suppressed. Absolutely love this set up for training. 26" varmint contour and a prefit barrel for savage and bighorn and I can swap it around for off season training etc or leave it as it for dual use, ie the wife loves it.

I chambered an AR15 service rifle barrel for a former member of our team. Barrel is a 7T Bartlein, reamer is a purpose designed for the 85.5 that I came up back in 2018, similar to the one from Dave Manson, except for the transition into the freebore, mine is 10 degrees, Dave's is 15. Standard angle is 45 degree wall. Mine has shorter total freebore length.

JD shot the service rifle (SR) record at 1000 yards with the combination. SR legal is 20 inch and max optics is 4.5X and shot prone with sling.

Screenshot_20220204-151056_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

20200802_213205.jpg

20200827_193653.jpg

I've chambered a few SR barrels used for across the course, 200 to 600 yards. Chambers shoots the 77 class bullets for short range equally well. 85.5 are great for 600 yards in the wind.

Last edited:
I also have a savage 112 BVSS I put a different trigger and a 29" 1-7 Bartline barrel glass bedded it it shoots one hole groups at 200

I'd rebuild the whole rifle if it was mine, but my brother is ecstatic with how well it shoots in its full factory configuration. I'd probably put a 6mmBR tube on it because it is only used for shooting paper, but he's happy and that's what counts.