Rifle in .223 cal for LR practice

TBuckus

Looking at getting another rifle for long range practice. Something cheaper than my other larger cartridges to reload. Thinking .223 but may go with a 22-250. Still cheaper than a PRC.

I was looking at a Tikka T3 varmint- heavier barrel, already own Tikka's. Have an AG stock that would work. BUT, cant find them in stock. They have the lighter barrel in stock.

I could go with the T3 Lite…. Or other suggestions?
My long range rifles are a 6.5-06 and a CA MPR 300PRC. I can get a CA MPR in 223 but seems like a waste of funds just for practice.

Something to think about would be a Bighorn Origin and a .223 Wylde prefit barrel. That way you could also use it for larger calibers if you wanted by just an easy bolt face and barrel change. Not sure how much you want to spend but doing something like that allows more growth in the future in the same set up.

Spending money on a good .223 is not a waste and definitely not when you can turn it into other calibers easily. You can shoot a .223 with a good 75grn bullet to 1000+ yards. I have mine set up with a 27" barrel and have shot it to 1150 in matches with 75 ELD-Ms. They are a blast to shoot.

I've thought about getting a 223 bolt gun for some time. I've got more 223 brass and SR primers than anything else in my reloading room. Cheap practice rounds that are fun to shoot is a win win situation.

A bolt action .223 is a great rifle to have. I snagged a 20" 1:8 Tikka CTR and dropped it into a. KRG Bravo. It's one of my favorite rifles to shoot. If you can find a CTR, that's what I would recommend.

A9D0B811-3FCB-4897-8DE3-2E9C737596FB.jpeg
0104777B-7D9B-423C-A44C-99C6F75F6F31.jpeg

My brother is a relatively new shooter. I bought him a Savage 112 BVSS in .223. It has a 26" heavy barrel and a heavy laminated stock to match. The trigger is better than you'd expect on a factory rifle. The twist measures out @ 8.5".

I've been loading everything from Hornady 50gr V-Max to Sierra 77gr TMKs. Virtually everything shot well. Numerous 5-shot groups came in under an inch at 200yds.

And if you get tired with it, a barrel swap is pretty easy.

There was a Ruger target model in the classified recently.

I was looking at the first of the year, and .223 bolt guns seemed scarce.

For me, my savage 12FV is perfect for this. I dropped it into a mdt xrs stock. I can bulk load 69smks over WIN 748 on a modified dillion 550. Great for practice, especially wind calls. It gets used for Prarie dogs, blasting crows off the trash cans and other general utilitarian purposes. It's also the one I reach for when a newbie wants to try shooting at distance for the first time.

Looking at getting another rifle for long range practice. Something cheaper than my other larger cartridges to reload. Thinking .223 but may go with a 22-250. Still cheaper than a PRC.

I was looking at a Tikka T3 varmint- heavier barrel, already own Tikka's. Have an AG stock that would work. BUT, cant find them in stock. They have the lighter barrel in stock.

I could go with the T3 Lite…. Or other suggestions?
My long range rifles are a 6.5-06 and a CA MPR 300PRC. I can get a CA MPR in 223 but seems like a waste of funds just for practice.
whhy not just get a proof S.S. shoulder fit for your Tikka soand what you need to switch barrels so the set up is the same

What about the stainless Howa Mini Weatherby Vanguard barreled action with the 8 twist?

I have a coworker that has one he's been wanting to sell or trade for a 7 twist AR, which I have a couple.

****Edit****

After a text message, it's a Vanguard action and it may be a 9 twist, he's going to verify for me, but everything I can find points to it being the slower.

Last edited: