Rifle Chronographs

when we are at the range take a moment and remember Chris Kyle and Chad Littlefield, Fair Winds and Following Seas.

Amen. I don't pray very often but I did this morning when I heard the news... There have been very few experiences in life that had left me with speachless, this was one of those times.

RIP,

Everyone to his own but I want the most versatility out of my gimmicks I can get. For me, the ability to read speeds from rifles, handguns, arrows, air guns and shot guns requires a conventional light screen chronograph.

Everyone to his own but I want the most versatility out of my gimmicks I can get. For me, the ability to read speeds from rifles, handguns, arrows, air guns and shot guns requires a conventional light screen chronograph.
I'll sell my CED, Pro Chrony and keep my Shooting Chrony and get an acoustic chrony. Sounds like a good plan to me.

Anyone want to buy either of the above? The CED has the IR package.

The advantage to the accoustical chronograph would be for those interested in recording bullet velocity way down range, in order to confirm their bullet BC out of their own rifles. I've taken my conventional Oehler chronographs out to 1000 yards a dozen times in the past and recorded bullet velocity. It can be done, but the window area the bullet has to pass over to get a recorded velocity is so small, it's quite challenging. I protect the skyscreen rail and skyscreens with AR500 steel so I don't ruin all the skyscreens with an errant shot. Currently I have three bullet splat marks on my AR500 plate. If there's any wind at all it's easy for the bullets to pass left or right of skyscreens - which results in no readings. It can get discouraging because I've got to travel the 1000 yds down to the chronos after the shots to confirm I'm zeroed and obtaining velocity readings. It usually takes a few shots to get the bullets passing just above the skyscreens.

The available window area which will result in recorded velocity over the accoustical chronograph is huge, in comparison. Almost all bullets fired would likely result in recorded velocities, unless the wind conditions were miserable.

I'm thinking of getting one to set up down range. I can use my current chronographs near the muzzle where it's easy to get velocity with each and every shot fired. Set the accoustical chrono out at 500 or 1000 yds. With those distant downrange velocities and a muzzle velocity, one can calculate a very accurate BC for their hunting bullets out of their specific rifles. Which is pretty comforting for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.