Retumbo Load in 338 Win Mag?

BCMAG2

I need to start loading my 338 Win Mag, and have 250 grain Nosler accubonds. Like almost everyone else right now, I can't find powder to buy, but I do have a can of Retumbo. Does anyone have a successful Retumbo load for their 338 Win Mag to share, even if its not with a 250 grain bullet (I can always back off a few grains for starters)?

Sorry bud, retumbo is going to be rather slow for that round. You will get her to go bang, but I'd expect a drop of 200-300 fps from normal speeds. You may however get some good accuracy. I'm using rl19 in my 338 and it's rather compressed.
If you want to try retumbo in your 338 win the hodgdon # 26 manual shows 76 to 81 grains of h1000 with a 250 grain in the 338. You could walk up the same charge range and just expect a bit less velocity. The bottom charge produced 2431 fps with h1000 and the top charge produced 2606 fps.

Thanks...right after posting that question, I checked out a lead on a small gunsmith shop tucked way back in the woods and he miraculously had one last can of H4831sc for sale. So I lucked out and found some "good" powder for my 338 win mag. I can now save my can of Retumbo for a more suitable cartridge.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.