Remington Sendero doesn't make the caliber I want...

Dirt_Nap

Ok, I've been searching and searching for a Sendero in 338 win mag. They are super hard to find. My bro snagged one on Craigslist in Las Vegas for $800:rolleyes:
So know I'm trying to find a way to to get a 338 win mag in a rifle similar to a Sendero (if not better). The problem is that I have no desire to spend $4900 on a custom. I was looking a semi custom like the Coopers but didn't know. Any ideas? I will be using it for elk hunting

Build it your self!!!! Get an action, barrel stock and trigger. Send it to a guy to build it for you. You will
Likely be out for right around 2k. Using HS stock, around1700. That will be the easiest. Maybe not fastest but it should be nice

Find an inexpensive magnum Remington 700. $500 or less
Order a sendero profile barrel from a reputable maker. $400 or less
Get a stock. $100-650.

Gunsmithing $50 to $250

So for between $1050 and $1700 you will have a better barrel in a rifle exactly as you want it.

Priceless.

How about an action from an older Remi 700. I think the rifle was made in the late 60's. The rifle is a 7mm mag. Any issues with it being an older rifle?

How about an action from an older Remi 700. I think the rifle was made in the late 60's. The rifle is a 7mm mag. Any issues with it being an older rifle?
If it were a 60's 700 in 7mm RemMag, I'd keep it just like it is for nostalgia reasons. Remington introduced the 700 in 1962. The 7mm Rem Mag caliber was also introduced by Remington in 1962....ONLY in the model 700. That rifle and caliber were introduced together as Remington's flagship rifle/caliber combo, and it's been a classic ever since.

If you are a collector, then you understand where I'm coming from. If not, that action will work fine for your custom build.

One question though... Why a .338 WinMag? If you're wanting a .338 caliber, I'd look into something a little more ballistically superior, like the .33 Nosler wildcat that's coming out, or the .338 RUM, or .338 Edge.

If it were a 60's 700 in 7mm RemMag, I'd keep it just like it is for nostalgia reasons. Remington introduced the 700 in 1962. The 7mm Rem Mag caliber was also introduced by Remington in 1962....ONLY in the model 700. That rifle and caliber were introduced together as Remington's flagship rifle/caliber combo, and it's been a classic ever since.

If you are a collector, then you understand where I'm coming from. If not, that action will work fine for your custom build.

One question though... Why a .338 WinMag? If you're wanting a .338 caliber, I'd look into something a little more ballistically superior, like the .33 Nosler wildcat that's coming out, or the .338 RUM, or .338 Edge.

Not really sure why just the .338wm. I grew up elk hunting with it. I've kind of gravitated towards older tried and trued calibers. I have a 22-250 that I love. Sure the 220 swift is balistically better but coyotes never could tell the difference at 250. I'm open to suggestions though

I thought that was why anyone bought a browning or weatherby... to let everyone know you PAID for it.. lol

I thought that was why anyone bought a browning or weatherby... to let everyone know you PAID for it.. lol
I can pick up used A-Bolt II Composite Stalkers for $500-600 all day long around here, and you can turn-down Remington barrel tennons to fit on Brownings, since they're small tennon with metric threads. Cheap and affordable option. That's what I did when my most recent A-Bolt II 7mmRM started acting funny. I put a spare Rem 26" sporter 7mmRM barrel I had laying around on it. Plus I wanted a TRUE 26" barrel, and not a 24"+ brake. The barrel was a known-shooter from another build I had done earlier that year for deer season. And I don't believe in chunking a perfectly good (and proven) barrel. It can always be used for something.

I've never had an issue with my browning a-bolt stalker lh 300win other than it seems to like mid weight bullets better than heavies.
I have had serious issues with a buddy's accumark in 300roy though. The only thing it'll eat well consistently is a 220sierra or225hdy with a medium dose of 7828. We ran over 100 test rounds through the rifle before we were confidant enough in the rifle to load any quantity of ammo for it... Another friend's mk5 in 270 win shot well though, but we had to shim the scope to level it enough to have some vertical left.

as to the sendero in 338win... good cal.; have a 338win in a #1... with 225's it's not that far behind the big dogs, but when you try to stuff heavies through it she slows up a lot. I was working with 285 hdy's with mine last year and actually ruined a few brass trying to get speed out of her.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.