Why Doesn't Berger make a Bonded Bullet??

Did you go back to the same area a week or so later. That's a good time to look for buzzards . I've seen hogs bleed pretty heavy on the exit side on a plate shot, but I've seen dead pigs not leave a drop of blood on a plate hit if you dont get all the way through.

Did you go back to the same area a week or so later. That's a good time to look for buzzards . I've seen hogs bleed pretty heavy on the exit side on a plate shot, but I've seen dead pigs not leave a drop of blood on a plate hit if you dont get all the way through.

Myself, and three other hunters checked the area to no avail. But, the area we hunt on is huge and dense, so it's possible that we missed something

Last edited:
Myself, and three other hunters checked the area to no avail. But, the area we hunt on is huge and dense, so it's possible that we missed something
I guess you just chalk it up to experience and try low behind the leg when porky gives you a shot with the bergers .

I guess you just chalk it up to experience and try low behind the leg when porky gives you a shot with the bergers .

Or use the appropriate bullet for the animal you are after (pig) and use a bonded or mono bullet?

Sorry Berger guys, I couldn't help it;)

Or use the appropriate bullet for the animal you are after (pig) and use a bonded or mono bullet?

Sorry Berger guys, I couldn't help it;)
My favorite bullet for big boar hogs is a 300gn HP winchester factory load in a 45 70. Not exactly LRH fodder , but in the thick stuff or anywhere shots will likely be inside 100 yards or there abouts, that is a plate buster ! Reliably punches through both shoulders and leaves a blood trail a blind man can sniff out.
First hog I ever shot with that load barely flinched when I shot him (300lbs boar) at about 70 yards. He just made a short grunt and jogged off. I thought I missed clean ! Knowing that gun shot too good and I was on him good, I climbed down and checked the spot where he stood anyway. Looked like someone took 2 big paint brushes and a bucket of red paint and flung the stuff everywhere. Blood trail was like that for 60 yards to where the big boar laid. I was impressed with the holes it punched all the way through both sides of a thick mature hog plate.

Last edited:
Berger don't need to make a bonded bullet. Nosler,Hornady and Sierra are chasing Berger in the long range game.

My favorite bullet for big boar hogs is a 300gn HP winchester factory load in a 45 70. Not exactly LRH fodder , but in the thick stuff or anywhere shots will likely be inside 100 yards or there abouts, that is a plate buster ! Reliably punches through both shoulders and leaves a blood trail a blind man can sniff out.

I would love to see a video of a hog smacked with that load from a 45/70!

It's a great MEAT load for any big game critter as long as the ranges aren't long. Low velocity with a big face and excellent expansion . It doesnt turn stuff to jelly, just makes big bleeder holes out both sides.

It's a great MEAT load for any big game critter as long as the ranges aren't long. Low velocity with a big face and excellent expansion . It doesnt turn stuff to jelly, just makes big bleeder holes out both sides.
I say it's not a long range load , but I guess if you have a range finder that does .5 yard increments (lol), and you have a very detailed program for drop, you could stretch them out a bit. Buffalo hunters use to crank them out a ways, unless that's just the magic of TV ;)

I always wanted to buy a 45/70 double Biakal to play with but no pigs here in New York. I can think of other uses here but don't get me started....;)

This may help with range. It's made for black power long range.45 cal from powerbelt bullets. A bc of .452, 280 gr.wish Berger made some like these in .458. They are 452, so they fit in my 45 rapter, ar10.
20191208_121907.jpg

If you really want to test your LRH ability, do it longtubemans way ! Throw 280gn rocks at um and leave that laser cannon 7mm super long magnum to those who shoot at ELR, lol.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.