remington laminated stock

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by crc1514, Apr 13, 2009.

1. crc1514

crc1514 Member

newbie here.

a few years ago i bought a used remington 700 laminated ss 300 ultra mag. i've decided it is just too much gun (recoil mainly) to use as my normal deer rifle. i was simply going to put a muzzle break on it, but i've recently become interested in longe range hunting/ shooting so i decided if i was going to put a break on this gun i might as well put a new barrel of some sort on it and maybe have the action bedded as well. i've read a lot on here about after maket stocks, but i was wondering if the remington laminated wood stock is worth replacing or is it good enough to leave. anyone have any thoughts on this?

2. geargrinder

geargrinder Well-Known Member

The stock is good. Keep it. I would add pillars and bed it. I'd also keep the barrel and add a muzzle brake.

Have you done any work on the trigger. That would be the next place I would focus.

I have a similar rifle. A LSS in 338RUM. My buddy Eaglet bedded the action, installed pillars, and adjusted the trigger. I recently found a load that shoots ragged holes. I've thought about adding a brake, but I don't find the recoil that objectionable.

3. Bravo 4

Bravo 4 Well-Known Member

The stock is fine, I still have mine on my Edge...pillars installed and bedded. The only reason you should change it is if you don't like how it fits you or you want a tacticool look. I would keep the barrel as well unless you can't get it to shoot after pulling out all the stops.

4. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

The Remingtion stocks are very good and the Laminated Sendero stocks are even better.

I use a lot of these stocks and get great accuracy if bedded and pillar blocks are installed
    properly ( The sendero allready has pillars and a bedding block but should be bedded anyway.

You can install a #5 (Lilja) contour with out much work in a 700 sporter stock and a #7contour
    in a sendero with just a little opening up.

The 300RUM is a great round and with lighter bullets and lower pressures recoil can be tamed.

J E CUSTOM

5. crc1514

crc1514 Member

thanks for the info guys, i thought i'd like to play with this 300 a little bit so i bought a 7 rem mag for my main hunting gun. i found an old bdl ss dm new in box and couldn't pass it up. the 7 mag is not a huge step down and i was looking to fill the gap between my 25-06 and the 300 rum.