laminate stock

reed

Hello, I'm a newbie here, My question is I have a rem 700 in 300RUM, with hart brake and accurized by hart, I have the gray laminate stock, will this stock properly bedded be pretty accurate out to 800yds or so. I have only shot it to 400yds, I just started reloading and I want to start extending my range.

Travis

Yes and No and it depends , hows that for an answer.

Yes : if the stock is properly bedded and the barrel is floated then yes
the stock has the ability to let the gun shoot to it potential

No : that stock is pretty narrow up front and the comb generaly doesen't
lend itself to making accurate shooting possitions , their for you will
likely not be able to hold the gun steady as you would heavier or
should I say "better built for purpose" stock.

and the "it depends" part means that if you want to add a good bi-pod or flat piece of plate to the forend and maybe either an adjustable comb or strap on comb unit that will allow you to get a better cheek weld and proper shooting posotion with less stress then yes , other wise I say not realy.
Generaly a good long range stock will allow you to either sit or lay comfortably behind the gun with the cheek just resting on the stock and able to look through the scope , a consistant cheek weld is one of the most overlooed problems some guys have with being able to group at long range. Alos the forend on the LR stocks are typicaly a bit wider and flat accross the bottom to allow them to "ride the bags" better

thanks thats a pretty good answer, I really liked the look of the McMillian tooley MBR, I think it might be a bit much for hunting, being bulky or heavy, or will it.

Travis

I pack a mcmillian A-3 all over the central Idaho mountains and dont have any problem. The total wieght of my scoped rifle is 11-pounds which really pays off when you are faced with long range shoots. This wieght seems to be the perfect compramise for me, after all, isnt everything a comprimes.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.