Laminated Stocks?

lv2hunt

Hello all,

I am having a long range rifle built and am at the point where I need to make a decision on my stock. I like the look of the laminated Richard's microfit prone and tactical style stocks and would like to know if anyone has experience with this company or their stocks. I also need to know the advantages and disadvantages regarding accuracy potential with laminate stock vs. synthetics?

(I did a search on this, but came up with nothing specific)

Thanks in advance,
Brandon

You won't notice any accuracy difference in a properly bedded lam vs. a properly bedded syn. I've heard people say that lam is just as stable as syn. Which ever one looks best to you is the one I would go with.

the richards micro fit will require some extra work before you will be able to start finishing it. Mine required the saftey cut out to be enlarged and a lot of sanding. The elkridge laminated stock i have only took a light sanding before finishing was necessary.

Goes back to the saying you get what you pay for IMO

DA

i have a richards microfit thumbwhole stock on my custom 270wsm. it looks very nice but i had to sand some of it down to float the barrel. i am please with it allthought it is a tad heavy!

if you like the a-5 macmillan stock, but want a laminated. just send an e-mail to [email protected]. he's making an exact copy of this stock in a laminated version with different color combo's. price is 265 i think, but is not final sanded or finished.there's a post over on precisionlongrangehunter.com under front porch, a-5 laminate. it's a long post,but probably answers any question you might have.i've seen these and they are 1st class.

Thanks for the information guys, I ordered a Richard's Microfit target thumbhole laminate stock.
lv2hunt

I have finished MANY Richards Micofit stocks and have always been pleased with the end result. As mentioned earlier, don't think that you can just drop your barreled action in and go. Takes quite a bit of work inletting, bedding, sanding, etc. but you definitely have something unique when you're done. One other point, they are much heavier than synthetics, so be sure to choose to fit your application. I would never consider a laminated stock in a carry (walk & stalk) situation because they will wear you out. Good luck in your endeavor!

Wondering if anyone has a good reference for a laminated stock finisher/refinisher and expected fee? I would like the finish to be satin.
Thanks,
lv2hunt

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.