remington frankenstein

crowsnest2002

So I know I'm relatively new here, but I enjoy longrange shooting and the art within. I am by no means an expert, and I do by no means have an un ending supply of money for my hobby. So let me tell you my experiment to be. First I researched switch barrel firearms and was led to the savage door. What a versatile rifle isnt it? Well there is a problem. I dont like savage actions. I am a remington man by heart and as so I dont have a very expansive gun cabinet. I do have a piece together LTR. I say piece together because it started as a standard SPS. Later I added the .308 fluted 20'' barrel and then and HS precision stock. So it is my piece together. See picture below.
2whpegk.jpg

Sorry about the quality.
Anyway I wanted the versatility of the Savage rifle but with the remington action and with research galore here is what I find.
My first Remington switch barrel rifle - Sniper's Hide Forums
The rem nut offered by PacNor
Custom rifle barrels for varmint hunters to serious benchrest shooters. PAC-NOR Barreling, Inc. - Precision Rifle Barrels - Pac-Nor.com
14961le.jpg

2j5yop2.jpg

This barrel nut is pretty much the same as a savage nut, only it is threaded for Remington barrels 1 and 1/16 tpi by 60 I believe. Dont shoot me if I'm wrong :) It uses the standard savage barrel nut wrench that can easily and cheaply be purchased at
MidwayUSA - Advanced Search
Now for the source of my barrels. Well for some reason remmy take off barrels are here and there every now and then, but the issue here is cost. Since I will have to have the shoulders machined off of the barrels and then the threads run out I have to keep costs in mind. I do some calling around to the local gunsmiths in the area that arent privy to the knowledge of what I want to do and one smith requests $40 dollars for used take offs and $65 for new take offs. Well adding machine costs into that I'm starting to get higher budgeted. So I keep calling. Low and behold I reach local gunsmith (John Smith) John says sure I can keep the better barrels for you that I take off. I just cut them up and throw them to scrap anyway. I hook john on saving some for me by stating I will pay him a couple of bucks for the efforts, and deal is done. That was today. Hopefully I can keep you guys informed on the process and how it eventually shoots when I can piece it all together. Overall I am very excited to have the ability of a switchbarrel gun that I wont be afraid to burn barrels out on and can easily change myself.

If you guys have any similar experiences I would love to hear about them or any advice I would love to hear that as well. It will take some time so dont expect a range report tomorrow. :)

Does Crownest2002 glue in his primers too. :)

I have been working on a project just like this. The gun smith I have been working with also tells me we can besides using a Savage type barrel nut also use a floating bolt head just like the Savage bolt without much problem. I also like the Idea of a switch barrel gun.

Does Crownest2002 glue in his primers too. :)
I don't think either of you will have to worry about primer pockets. Yewl split your nuts first.:)

I have been working on a project just like this. The gun smith I have been working with also tells me we can besides using a Savage type barrel nut also use a floating bolt head just like the Savage bolt without much problem. I also like the Idea of a switch barrel gun.

I think its a good idea also!

I got a great take off barrel first try. Think of how many 40 - 125 dollar take off barrels could be tried.

Keep us posted.

This idea would get me into a lot of trouble. you guys shouldn't suggest ways that I can easily and cheaply have about every caliber of rifle available. Big trouble.

Just remember that Frankenstein was the name of the doctor, not the monster he created.

Where you get the parts is not as important as how you put them together. It's a shame that Ebay quit allowing sales of parts like barrels and triggers, but gun broker.com and gun shows are still good parts sources.

The theory behind this is that I can have any caliber with a .473 bolt face in one action. I feel the stock will be acceptable for any barrel type I can dig up unless its larger than the remington varmint contour. The scope someday will be upgraded, someday..... But for now I use a nikon buckmasters 3x9. Its capable of shots out to 675 yards with my current loads in .308 and without holdover. If this all fails I will just rebarrel with a nice shillen probably in a 6mm caliber. Sorry if this thread is going to go slow for you guys, but like I said above I have a family to provide for and my hobbies come second, well I guess third lol.... I do enjoy this site and it really is a great resource.

why no just use the set screw method.then all you will have to do is have the smith face off a falt spot on two sides of the barrel on the thread area.and drill and tape the action in the same locations to be able to tightion the set screw onto the barrel.you can even put a small demple where the set screw will contact the barrel to help out with keeping the barrel in place.

this will work and seems to be a less tool project.then you will only need a barrel vise.and useing the same barrle lug with all of the barrels of choice you want have to keep up with the head spaceing.but hey just something I would do and my opinion.so take it with a grain of salt.or you can do just as most of us have.save up and save up some more till the money pile is big enough to get that other rifel.LOL

john, I think this method will be cheaper to go with a machine shop. In the spirit of the post I want to add I called around to local machine shops to see if they could give me a quote. First it was hard enough to find a place to custom orders, the next difficulty was finding a place that did small custom orders. Well I found that place that is only 1/2 mile away. Who knew, I thought they were out of business, turns out they moved and never put a sign out. Theres good advertising for ya. Anyway they gave me a quote of $25 dollars to cut the shoulder and finish the threads out the barrel. Not bad considering the local gunsmith wants to charge $65. The other machinists were wanting to charge around $45. So bargain shopping came through. The added convienience of being close is also nice as well. The next question is does anyone have a barrel they would like to donate to the cause that the throat isnt shot out on. I do not care what the surface looks like, it can have scratches and dings. Just not bent. I can even recrown it myself if needed. Something in .243, 22-250, .308 since I have dies and brass in those calibers.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.