Remington ?

You guys took the bait again!!!
It's like a mouse trap with cheese, you know it's going to get ya, but you try anyway..:D

Nah, I'm like the man who invented the mouse trap... I'm laughing all the way to the bank, because I know the person who bought and setup the mousetrap (Wayne) is getting his fingers smacked trying to set that stupid thing, and once he finally does get it setup and baited, he has to wait around forever before he gets any results, and even then, the mouse might have outsmarted him and got the cheese... So now he has to reset his mousetrap all over again, and again, and again... And no matter the results he hopes for, he is still getting his fingers snapped each time he has to reset his trap. But all I had to do was design it and sell it, and collect the money. :cool:

Nah, I'm like the man who invented the mouse trap... I'm laughing all the way to the bank, because I know the person who bought and setup the mousetrap (Wayne) is getting his fingers smacked trying to set that stupid thing, and once he finally does get it setup and baited, he has to wait around forever before he gets any results, and even then, the mouse might have outsmarted him and got the cheese... So now he has to reset his mousetrap all over again, and again, and again... And no matter the results he hopes for, he is still getting his fingers snapped each time he has to reset his trap. But all I had to do was design it and sell it, and collect the money. :cool:

LOL!! my fingers are sore LOL Hows your oatmeal ??

Recently ordered a Remington M700 DPS with left hand action. This rifle has a heavy barrel like the older model VS Remington offered years ago but no longer. I took the barreled action out of the stock the rifle came with and dropped it down into a HS Precision stock I had saved and then bedded it. At 76 years age I've used Remington rifles for more years than I like to recall and never had a problem with any of them including a dang M742 that my Dad bought for me in 1954...think it was! Been shooting M700 rifles a long time! Has Remington had problems with their production rifles? Probably so....but so have other makers....even custom actions! Ratio-wise, per number of actions/rifles produced I'd guess that the percentage of less than stellar quality items made would be on Remington's side...but I don't know for certain! With the barreled action I just put into this HS Precision stock VS308 by Sharps Man, on Flickr

I have fired six 5 shot groups from 600 yards and none of the groups have been over the size as shown in the photo below...if I can dredge up the photo thereof! I can cover these 5 with the knuckles of my fist! I have no qualms about who shoots what rifle or action. The only thing I did to this rifle was to install a Timney trigger and the bedding job!

My 308 Winchester by Sharps Man, on Flickr

You guys took the bait again!!!
It's like a mouse trap with cheese, you know it's going to get ya, but you try anyway..:D

If that was his intent, he failed.

"I" only posted to help the less educated/experienced shooters know the truth about all actions and rifles in general.

They are all CNC'd (Even the custom actions) and subject to problems because the process requires a competent operator to program and maintain the program and tooling to get the best results. quality control has to be built in, not inspected in. quality control will only catch problems that are beyond the acceptance criteria set buy the engineer and followed by the machinist/programmer and the quality control tec's.

I could list some rifles that I "Don't like" but what good would that do. It would only invoke more of the same, and from people that don't gunsmith and don't know what the real difference is between them. and most would buy the action/rifle they liked anyway.

All smiths have there preferred action/rifle to work on and if you took a poll of the gunsmiths, I can tell you which action/rifle would be on top.

And as the song says "The beat goes on"

J E CUSTOM

Remington's Model 700 accorded America's working men to own a damned fine quality rifle at affordable prices. While I cannot write of Remington Model 700 rifles built after the mid-70's, I will write that the ones I've fired were of excellent quality. The 2nd most accurate rifle I've fired was a late 60's Model 700 ADL in 7MM Rem Mag. It was a stock rifle. My friend who owned it did not a damned thing to it. It would shoot very tiny groups all day long.

I own a circa 1974 Model 700 in .270 Win. I was a teenager then, and the '06 was considered too much gun for a new hunter. So I went with a .270 Win. I don't know how many big game animals have been felled by it. And I'll continue to hunt with it.

When US Repeating Arms reintroduced the Mauser action on Model 70's, they were all the rage. They were good guns, but I've never fired one that was as accurate to the Model 700's I've fired. And yes, my Model 700 will feed rounds when held upside down. That was a cute marketing ploy. I guess no one had stopped to figure out when they'd have to chamber a cartridge while their rifles were upside down.

I will admit to reading of Remington's recent quality control issues. Whether they're factual or legend, I do not know.

I know that they're many hunters who'll use rifles with only Mauser actions. I'm good. However, many of the most reliable rifles manufactured are semiautomatics. And they're beyond accurate. Hence, to my way of looking at actions, German quality is very difficult to beat. But that doesn't mean that a Model 700 isn't just as good when we define just as good as reliable and accurate. My opinion is the Sako AV action is the best action ever crafted. But I can accept that others will have other opinions. I know that FN Mauser has a huge following.

Remington's Model 40 was at one time the gold standard of sniper rifles. They were common in the US military and law enforcement agencies.

I'd sure as hell would hate to see the famed Model 700 fade into oblivion due to quality control issues. I can only hope that it ain't so.

morning, owned Winchesters, sako, remingtons, Veore, mauser actions.

and rugers. by far r the most consistant actions r Remington 720,721,722,725, 788

and now the 700 and 783. they all have there quirks. some shoot bugholes right

out of the box. had several. now days with technology Remington and mauser

do and will have the accuracy brought out of the weapon. Snipers have proved that!!!

lightbulb:)gun)

If that was his intent, he failed.

"I" only posted to help the less educated/experienced shooters know the truth about all actions and rifles in general.

They are all CNC'd (Even the custom actions) and subject to problems because the process requires a competent operator to program and maintain the program and tooling to get the best results. quality control has to be built in, not inspected in. quality control will only catch problems that are beyond the acceptance criteria set buy the engineer and followed by the machinist/programmer and the quality control tec's.

I could list some rifles that I "Don't like" but what good would that do. It would only invoke more of the same, and from people that don't gunsmith and don't know what the real difference is between them. and most would buy the action/rifle they liked anyway.

All smiths have there preferred action/rifle to work on and if you took a poll of the gunsmiths, I can tell you which action/rifle would be on top.

And as the song says "The beat goes on"

J E CUSTOM

the term "CNC" is without a doubt the most over-hyped term in any form of machining. 99.5% of CNC lathes still will not machine as accurately as certain hand lathes. Same for milling operations. The seem to do grinding operations better than all but the finest gauge grinders, yet a typical ABEC 7 or 9 ball bearing is ground on a machine that is virtually identical to a manual grinder.

Remington is no different than anybody else when buying equipment. They are looking for the best bang for the buck. Now we can go out and buy the best CNC lathe on the market (or machine center), and end up with a turd in 30 months. I've seen this all too many times. You often buy a turn key package these days, as the OEM does all the leg work. All you do is supply the foundation and required power. Then you just sit around and run the machine into the ground, unless you take care of it. Some do and some think they do. Others keep the machine running, but have no idea what todo when it gets ugly. Usually because they refuse to pay for knowledge. They rarely have a program setup to check jigs & fixturing; let alone gauging. You see it everywhere. That $500K CNC lathe is no better than who tooled it up and takes care of it. Programers are a dime a dozen! Yes there are fantastic ones, but they all work in the automotive industry as well as aircraft industry. Rest won't pay that much.

gary

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts