Remington cdl sf or savage 11

Personally, I do think that some of the finest rifles ever made came from Europe. But, the Made in China, Taiwan, or Japan stamp has never made me think of "quality". One advantage to buying an American made rifle, if you live in america, is the availability of parts and service if needed. Rem700s and Savages are so common, aftermarket parts are everywhere, and it's rare that a smith can't work on one. If you have a problem with your rifle and need to send it to the factory, it's nice when it only goes across a few states to the place it was made. I have read good reveiws on the TIKKAS, and some of the members on here really like them. But I think you'll find in your reasearch that most would take a 700 or a savage over the tikka. Also, I have heard of a few custom rifles built on a tikka action, I don't think I've ever heard of one built on a WEATHERBY or a howa, and as you know customs with 700 and savage actions are everywhere. Probably a reason for this, and something you might want to consider. But this is all just my opinion.
Have you got any closer to choosing?

if you want a barn door with a barrel on it buy a savage. If you want a rifle with questionable quality control buy a remmy. I've got five remmy's myself but most of them were made before Cerburus bought them out...

The Savage and Remington both combine to make two of the most accurate rifle actions in the world that you can buy off the wall. Don't see why he would skip them. They also both have a huge aftermarket for them, including the drop in barrels for the Savage and pre-cut, contoured, and threaded barrels for the Model 700. Tikkas don't even have a recoil lug so getting an aftermarket stock for them requires making your own recoil lug, and Weatherby is just a name. Yeah they shoot good and are nice, but they do not do anything you can't do with a Savage or Remington.

Nailed it.

I have a newer CDL SF. in 280 remington. it was the 50th anniversary limited model but the same thing. 100% factory it will shoot under an inch all day. typically less at around 5/8ths

if you want a barn door with a barrel on it buy a savage. If you want a rifle with questionable quality control buy a remmy. I've got five remmy's myself but most of them were made before Cerburus bought them out...

The same company bought Marlin. My newer 44 mag lever gun is no where near the quality of my older lever actions. It's a very noticeable difference. That's one of the reasons I personally kind of stay away from Remington's. I don't know if the Remington quality also went down, but the Marlins took a nose dive.

Haha I love guys like you that come around and have nothing but bad things to say about Savages and Remingtons. Look around and see what the Marine Corps, Army, and SEALs use for an action, ya that's right a Remington. Not a Weathetby, Tikka, or Howa, they use Remingtons bud and they rely on them day in and day out. If you're so fond of that Weatherby, like I always say bring it on out. $100 Bucks a shot., so that way we can just buy more 700s at the end of the day. My rifles are all bone stock and they all average 1/4-3/8inch groups. Everyone got their own thing but I'm sticking to what's proven and works. By the way, a Stiller is pretty much a Model 700 that is blue printed with a side bolt release.

they use Remington's for two good reasons. Cost and a strong lobby. Look around to see what some of the other folks are using. Not everybody uses a Remington.

Hundred bucks a shot! I hope you have a deep bank account, cause some folks might take you to task with some out of the box equipment. I've seen several out of the box Vanguards shoot low sixes out of the box with factory Remington ammo. I've seen a couple out of the box Sakos shoot mid three's (both were 6PPC). I've seen Rugers shoot high three's (6mm). I've probably seen 25 Savages in .223 shoot mid to low three's effortlessly. I've seen three 22-250's from Savage shoot from very low three's to extremely low two's (all five shot by the way). But to add insult, I shot an AR chambered in .223 about a year ago. It was out of the box with a $30 flea market Tasco scope mounted on it (3x-9x) start out shooting in the high sixes. By the end of the day it was shooting six hundred thousandths five shot groups using ammo designed for my 700 Rem. (55 grain Vmax over 27.5 grains of BLC2). Without a doubt, I could make the rifle shoot low fives if not high fours. I've even seen two or three out of the box Ruger #1's in .257 Roberts shoot mid to high three's out of the box.

Myself, I've owned more than one 700 thru the years. Won't buy another; thank you! My first was a 700ADL in .270 Win. I really liked the rifle, and it was a solid 3/4" rifle. The last one is the .223 I still own. It shoots mid fours after a complete rebuild. Do a search on here, and find out what it took to go from a 4.25" gun down to a .45" gun. Never again!
gary

they use Remington's for two good reasons. Cost and a strong lobby. Look around to see what some of the other folks are using. Not everybody uses a Remington.

Hundred bucks a shot! I hope you have a deep bank account, cause some folks might take you to task with some out of the box equipment. I've seen several out of the box Vanguards shoot low sixes out of the box with factory Remington ammo. I've seen a couple out of the box Sakos shoot mid three's (both were 6PPC). I've seen Rugers shoot high three's (6mm). I've probably seen 25 Savages in .223 shoot mid to low three's effortlessly. I've seen three 22-250's from Savage shoot from very low three's to extremely low two's (all five shot by the way). But to add insult, I shot an AR chambered in .223 about a year ago. It was out of the box with a $30 flea market Tasco scope mounted on it (3x-9x) start out shooting in the high sixes. By the end of the day it was shooting six hundred thousandths five shot groups using ammo designed for my 700 Rem. (55 grain Vmax over 27.5 grains of BLC2). Without a doubt, I could make the rifle shoot low fives if not high fours. I've even seen two or three out of the box Ruger #1's in .257 Roberts shoot mid to high three's out of the box.

Myself, I've owned more than one 700 thru the years. Won't buy another; thank you! My first was a 700ADL in .270 Win. I really liked the rifle, and it was a solid 3/4" rifle. The last one is the .223 I still own. It shoots mid fours after a complete rebuild. Do a search on here, and find out what it took to go from a 4.25" gun down to a .45" gun. Never again!
gary

Costs? You really think the military is worried about costs? If that was the case we wouldn't have the best tanks, planes, ships, weapons, equipment, and training in the world. If they were worried about costs they surely wouldn't cheap out on the most deadly force on the battlefield, a U.S. Military Sniper and his rifle. The M24 costs over $5k a piece, that's not necessarily cheap. The Army uses Leupold MK.4s, the USMC uses Schmidt and Benders, and the SEALs use Nightforces, all of these aren't cheap either and they set on top of Remington 700s. Not Rugers, Winchesters, Tikkas, Sakos, or any other "superior" rifle out there.

And wow you sure have "seen" a lot of accurate rifles over the years haven't you. How many of these accurate rifles that are out of the box do you own? I could say I have "seen" a lot too, I can't prove it. I will tell you my Remington 700 .243 Varmint will shoot in the mid .2s and so will my Dad's .243 and his .308 Varmint Special and his .222 Remington Varmint Special will shoot in the high .1s. I have these rifles and can prove they're accuracy. I could say I saw two dozen Handi Rifles in .223 shoot groups that rivaled benchrest records, am I lying? Yes, I can't prove it though. I would like to know where you all find these sower Remingtons and Savages. I haven't seen one yet, it might just be the nut behind the buttplate that is the problem. :rolleyes:

Costs? You really think the military is worried about costs? If that was the case we wouldn't have the best tanks, planes, ships, weapons, equipment, and training in the world. If they were worried about costs they surely wouldn't cheap out on the most deadly force on the battlefield, a U.S. Military Sniper and his rifle. The M24 costs over $5k a piece, that's not necessarily cheap. The Army uses Leupold MK.4s, the USMC uses Schmidt and Benders, and the SEALs use Nightforces, all of these aren't cheap either and they set on top of Remington 700s. Not Rugers, Winchesters, Tikkas, Sakos, or any other "superior" rifle out there.

And wow you sure have "seen" a lot of accurate rifles over the years haven't you. How many of these accurate rifles that are out of the box do you own? I could say I have "seen" a lot too, I can't prove it. I will tell you my Remington 700 .243 Varmint will shoot in the mid .2s and so will my Dad's .243 and his .308 Varmint Special and his .222 Remington Varmint Special will shoot in the high .1s. I have these rifles and can prove they're accuracy. I could say I saw two dozen Handi Rifles in .223 shoot groups that rivaled benchrest records, am I lying? Yes, I can't prove it though. I would like to know where you all find these sower Remingtons and Savages. I haven't seen one yet, it might just be the nut behind the buttplate that is the problem. :rolleyes:

I guess we just measure groups a little different. I've shot about six sub .200" groups with a couple 22-250's I own. But sure as hell won't say either one is a high one's rifle! One is a pretty good quarter inch gun and the other is a solid .300" rifle. The quarter inch gun is box stock except for the rings and bases. the trigger is factory set, and even the screws in the action are untouched. Sometime this winter I will shorten the stock about 3/4" to help my vision alignment. The other rifle has had a barrel setback, and about .25" removed from the muzzle. The barrel has seen a lot of 3031 thru it. Interestingly, the groups didn't improve much after the rechamber, but could see the throat was going away. I did go ahead an pillar bed that rifle, and grind the recoil lug flat and parallel. The reamer was borrowed from Mr. Pindel, and the throat is noticeably short. The pillars and screws were my own design, and are so solid that I could have left the recoil lug off the rifle.

That .223 Remington was junk out of the box. Not only was the barrel junk, but the receiver wasn't much better. The trigger was dangerous. But it was a rock solid four and a half inch rifle! My first AR15 was a 1.25" gun. My second one shoots 3/4" groups. My Lo-Wall shoots groups in the 1.25" range with zero load development. I have access to two 788's that shoot half inch groups all day long. A trip to the range will usually show you three and often five Savage .223's printing in the mid three's. I did see one that shot consistent .230" groups. These rifles are pretty much out of the box. And I'm tickled to death to see .430" groups out of my 700!! (took months of work to get there) I own exactly one Howa, but have shot over a dozen of them thru the years. My 30-06 is a light weight barrel wood stock rifle (almost too pretty). It shoot near perfect 3/4" triangles, and has shot the 3/4" group at 200 yards. Not fantastic, but still not bad for an out of the box rifle. I've shot a couple in 25-06 that were solid .60" rifles out of the box (almost no load development). The Sakos were off the shelf rifles with the factory set trigger. Ammo was some hand me down stuff that came in a cigar box from Ferris. The two 6mm's were stolen along with my first 22-250. Still have a few targets laying around somewhere from these rifles.

and yes I've shot and seen a lot of great shooting rifles in my days
gary

I guess we just measure groups a little different. I've shot about six sub .200" groups with a couple 22-250's I own. But sure as hell won't say either one is a high one's rifle! One is a pretty good quarter inch gun and the other is a solid .300" rifle. The quarter inch gun is box stock except for the rings and bases. the trigger is factory set, and even the screws in the action are untouched. Sometime this winter I will shorten the stock about 3/4" to help my vision alignment. The other rifle has had a barrel setback, and about .25" removed from the muzzle. The barrel has seen a lot of 3031 thru it. Interestingly, the groups didn't improve much after the rechamber, but could see the throat was going away. I did go ahead an pillar bed that rifle, and grind the recoil lug flat and parallel. The reamer was borrowed from Mr. Pindel, and the throat is noticeably short. The pillars and screws were my own design, and are so solid that I could have left the recoil lug off the rifle.

That .223 Remington was junk out of the box. Not only was the barrel junk, but the receiver wasn't much better. The trigger was dangerous. But it was a rock solid four and a half inch rifle! My first AR15 was a 1.25" gun. My second one shoots 3/4" groups. My Lo-Wall shoots groups in the 1.25" range with zero load development. I have access to two 788's that shoot half inch groups all day long. A trip to the range will usually show you three and often five Savage .223's printing in the mid three's. I did see one that shot consistent .230" groups. These rifles are pretty much out of the box. And I'm tickled to death to see .430" groups out of my 700!! (took months of work to get there) I own exactly one Howa, but havek shot over a dozen of them thru the years. My 30-06 is a light weight barrel wood stock rifle (almost too pretty). It shoot near perfect 3/4" triangles, and has shot the 3/4" group at 200 yards. Not fantastic, but still not bad for an out of the box rifle. I've shot a couple in 25-06 that were solid .60" rifles out of the box (almost no load development). The Sakos were off the shelf rifles with the factory set trigger. Ammo was some hand me down stuff that came in a cigar box from Ferris. The two 6mm's were stolen along with my first 22-250. Still have a few targets laying around somewhere from these rifles.

and yes I've shot and seen a lot of great shooting rifles in my days
gary

The .222 shoots in the high ones which is around .175 thousandths or smaller, been awhile since we shot it for group. The same rifle will also shoot sub 1/2" groups at 300yds.

I thinking of getting a new rifle always have had Remington rifles and never had a problem but I have been reading some bad reviews about bad quality in there rifles now. Does anybody have a newer cdl sf ? Do they still shot good? Or should I try a savage? Thanks
I have bought a bunch of 700's since 2008 (when most of my high-end collection got stolen) to attempt to replace what got took.

The reason you only hear about the bad, is because people only use the interwebz to complain about stuff, and not to talk about the hundreds of thousands that are built and sold every year that never have a problem.

Most 700 rifles that have accuracy issues could be solved by a few simple fixes. Handloading your own ammo and developing a consistsnt load vs buying off the shelf ammo is a big one. Bedding the action and floating the barrel are 2 other big ones.

If Remington barrels are so crappy, I guess it must have been insane for me to put a spare factory 700 barrel that was a proven shooter (off of another semi-custom I built back in January), on my A-Bolt II when the factory Browning barrel started acting finicky and inconsistant. Plus, the Remington barrel is a true 26" barrel, and Remington's magnum sporter taper is thicker than Brownings, so, I'm hoping for greater consistancy and less barrel whip.

Introducing the world's first Brownington.

Looks **** good, too... :D

173720C9-E272-4B70-A915-591A65055ED9_zpssose3nsa.jpg

03B2F220-2429-4963-91D8-ECB231094279_zpsudajv6ik.jpg

FEB9E7A4-E3BB-4425-A08F-8098B83E4CF2_zps6qxmlv4d.jpg

987FE140-1F87-41BB-B3A6-30AEA67D7D20_zpsck6naudb.jpg

I have bought a bunch of 700's since 2008 (when most of my high-end collection got stolen) to attempt to replace what got took.

The reason you only hear about the bad, is because people only use the interwebz to complain about stuff, and not to talk about the hundreds of thousands that are built and sold every year that never have a problem.

Most 700 rifles that have accuracy issues could be solved by a few simple fixes. Handloading your own ammo and developing a consistsnt load vs buying off the shelf ammo is a big one. Bedding the action and floating the barrel are 2 other big ones.

If Remington barrels are so crappy, I guess it must have been insane for me to put a spare factory 700 barrel that was a proven shooter (off of another semi-custom I built back in January), on my A-Bolt II when the factory Browning barrel started acting finicky and inconsistant. Plus, the Remington barrel is a true 26" barrel, and Remington's magnum sporter taper is thicker than Brownings, so, I'm hoping for greater consistancy and less barrel whip.

Introducing the world's first Brownington.

Looks **** good, too... :D

173720C9-E272-4B70-A915-591A65055ED9_zpssose3nsa.jpg

03B2F220-2429-4963-91D8-ECB231094279_zpsudajv6ik.jpg

FEB9E7A4-E3BB-4425-A08F-8098B83E4CF2_zps6qxmlv4d.jpg

987FE140-1F87-41BB-B3A6-30AEA67D7D20_zpsck6naudb.jpg

+1 and I like the Fender in the back ground! :cool:

+1 and I like the Fender in the back ground! :cool:
She's gonna be my new lightweight deer rig, since she's back in shootable condition, pending a sight-in and some quick load confirmation/development.

Thanks, I've been playing guitar since I was about 10 or so. I also have a decent small guitar collection, too. But we'll save those pictures for another thread, so not to sidetrack this one. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.