Remington cdl sf or savage 11

muskrat7387

I thinking of getting a new rifle always have had Remington rifles and never had a problem but I have been reading some bad reviews about bad quality in there rifles now. Does anybody have a newer cdl sf ? Do they still shot good? Or should I try a savage? Thanks

This is about to get interesting.
I personally really like my savage rifles. My model 10 is my go to rifle. I have heard that Remington has had some QC issues, but everybody dose from time to time. Do some research on Savages Accustock. It's a heck of a stock, for a factory rifle. But I'm sure you'll be fine either way you go. I also have a M700 that I am a big fan of. But I preffer the Savages.
This is just my honest opinion. I'm assuming a big debate is about to start.

I've had great success with Model 700s. Bought a Remington 700 Varmint rifle last year in .243 with a 26" heavy barrel and it is one of the newer ones made within the last couple years. I pillar and surface bedded it and it shoots under 3/8 inch groups. I only have about 85 rounds through it and the accuracy is only going to get better as that barrel gets broken in more.

Savage makes a heck of a rifle for sure though. Pretty much flip a coin between the two. If I couldn't have a Remington then you better believe I would have a Savage. Yesterday I was at Dick's Sporting Goods and they had Savage Model 11s with heavy barrels chambered in .308, .243, and I believe .22-250 on sale for $419! That's a steal! The only thing I didn't like was the blueing was very thin on the barrels because where the barrel rested on the rack there was a permanent mark where the finish was worn thin on both the rifles I looked at. The stock was also very flimsy and had a huge gap in the barrel channel, I understand free-floating but that was like a 1/4 inch gap on each side between stock and barrel. Even my factory Remington synthetic stock can't be flexed by your hands and it doesn't have any gaps between the barrel and stock that are noticeable. I had to free float the Remington but the gap is only as thick as a piece of paper folded in half.

OK thanks for the replys guys. Another question I'm thinking of a lupeold fire dot scope to put on top of it I know Leupold is a great scope but has anyone shot this reticle? Likes? Dislikes?

Leupold scopes have been good to me in the past. I just looked up the fire dot reticle. I would preffer the dot to be green instead of red. But that's just me. I'm a big fan of lighted reticles. I have three lighted reticle scopes. Their great for low light shots. The green dot in my Trijicon Tr-23 shows up nicely when using a red preadator light. As far as savage stocks being flimsy- I have an older model 12 that has a rediculously flexible stock. But it's still a tack driver. A friend of mine just bought a new model 111 in 270win. Another extremely accurate factory rifle. The stock on it is at least 10 times better than my model 12. My model 10 has the Accustock. The aluminum chassis makes for a rock solid stock. There's no way it's going to flex.

Leupold scopes have been good to me in the past. I just looked up the fire dot reticle. I would preffer the dot to be green instead of red. But that's just me. I'm a big fan of lighted reticles. I have three lighted reticle scopes. Their great for low light shots. The green dot in my Trijicon Tr-23 shows up nicely when using a red preadator light. As far as savage stocks being flimsy- I have an older model 12 that has a rediculously flexible stock. But it's still a tack driver. A friend of mine just bought a new model 111 in 270win. Another extremely accurate factory rifle. The stock on it is at least 10 times better than my model 12. My model 10 has the Accustock. The aluminum chassis makes for a rock solid stock. There's no way it's going to flex.

The rifle I looked at did not have an AccuStock and the stock was very flimsy at the fore-end. I have handled other Savages with the Accustock and they were solid but this one could be flexed just by twisting the end of the forearm.

Personally I would skip them both and look at Tikka or Weatherby or even the Howa.

The Savage and Remington both combine to make two of the most accurate rifle actions in the world that you can buy off the wall. Don't see why he would skip them. They also both have a huge aftermarket for them, including the drop in barrels for the Savage and pre-cut, contoured, and threaded barrels for the Model 700. Tikkas don't even have a recoil lug so getting an aftermarket stock for them requires making your own recoil lug, and Weatherby is just a name. Yeah they shoot good and are nice, but they do not do anything you can't do with a Savage or Remington.

The rifle I looked at did not have an AccuStock and the stock was very flimsy at the fore-end. I have handled other Savages with the Accustock and they were solid but this one could be flexed just by twisting the end of the forearm.

Its really weird. I've never understood why they use those cheap stocks. But even with a flimsy Tupperware stock, they still shoot good. The cheap stock can easily be switched out. Or you could just get one with the Accustock and be done with it. That is, if you decide to go the savage rout.

The Savage and Remington both combine to make two of the most accurate rifle actions in the world that you can buy off the wall. Don't see why he would skip them. They also both have a huge aftermarket for them, including the drop in barrels for the Savage and pre-cut, contoured, and threaded barrels for the Model 700. Tikkas don't even have a recoil lug so getting an aftermarket stock for them requires making your own recoil lug, and Weatherby is just a name. Yeah they shoot good and are nice, but they do not do anything you can't do with a Savage or Remington.

I have owned a Remington and currently own a Savage I will never own another of either, I would never base my guns around accuracy alone and if you think Savage's are quality rifles well OK! For the Remington I do not buy guns that need a plethora of aftermarket parts in order to make them decent guns. If you gonna use a Remington action and have it all trued and crap and throw everything else in the trash why not just start with a Stiller or something better, much better. For the price range of the rifles mentioned the Tikka and the Weatherby/Howa excel, Sorry but it's true. Ps I'll put a just the name rifle against your Remington anyday.

I have owned a Remington and currently own a Savage I will never own another of either, I would never base my guns around accuracy alone and if you think Savage's are quality rifles well OK! For the Remington I do not buy guns that need a plethora of aftermarket parts in order to make them decent guns. If you gonna use a Remington action and have it all trued and crap and throw everything else in the trash why not just start with a Stiller or something better, much better. For the price range of the rifles mentioned the Tikka and the Weatherby/Howa excel, Sorry but it's true. Ps I'll put a just the name rifle against your Remington anyday.

Haha I love guys like you that come around and have nothing but bad things to say about Savages and Remingtons. Look around and see what the Marine Corps, Army, and SEALs use for an action, ya that's right a Remington. Not a Weathetby, Tikka, or Howa, they use Remingtons bud and they rely on them day in and day out. If you're so fond of that Weatherby, like I always say bring it on out. $100 Bucks a shot., so that way we can just buy more 700s at the end of the day. My rifles are all bone stock and they all average 1/4-3/8inch groups. Everyone got their own thing but I'm sticking to what's proven and works. By the way, a Stiller is pretty much a Model 700 that is blue printed with a side bolt release.

I have a Rem 700 XCR in 300 wm and is happy with it. However, to be happy I have walked the following path:
- replace the original stock by Hogue with aluminum block - $200
- replace triger by Jewell - $400
- install a muzzle brake - $ 250
- to install nightforce base and rings.
This prices were in my part of the world. In the States it should be cheaper and I think such upgrade is more reasonable.

I also have another rifle - Browning BAR, 308. I have never upgraded it and it shoots great...

So, now, given a small assortment of aftermarket accessories in my country, I would save for more expensive rifle but without further expenses for upgrading which might be uncontrolled.

I told you this would get Interesting. I could smell it coming. Let's see if I can ag it on a little.

ARENT WEATHERBYS MADE IN CHINA OR SOMETHING? HOWAS ARE TO ARENT THEY? AND TIKKAS ARE FROM ITALY OR SOMETHING RIGHT? I'm just curious. Does anybody know where savages and Remington's are made?

I told you this would get Interesting. I could smell it coming. Let's see if I can ag it on a little.

ARENT WEATHERBYS MADE IN CHINA OR SOMETHING? HOWAS ARE TO ARENT THEY? AND TIKKAS ARE FROM ITALY OR SOMETHING RIGHT? I'm just curious. Does anybody know where savages and Remington's are made?

Ya Savages and Remingtons are made in 'Merica! Haha and I shoot Remingtos because they're American and just because they're awesome!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.