Remington CDL SF 260 Rem

BitterrootBob

I found a Remington CDL SF 260 Rem New in Box. I am a fan of 6.5mm. This is a limited edition rifle. My question is the quality of this gun as I have read some not so great reviews on Remington lately. The second question is the twist rate of the barrel. All the other 6.5mm guns I own have a 1/8 twist but this gun has 1/9. Will the 1/9 stabilize a 140 grain bullet?

BOB,

When I am looking for info like you are asking for I go to Midway and look at Berger bullet specs for twist. The 130s are 1-9 and the 140s are 1-8. Speed makes a difference of course but 140 is probably not the best weight for that twist.

Barrel Twist Calculator

Go to that site and play with some numbers and you will see what you are up against.

Also,

Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com

Go here to kinda see what is possible with the 260 REM...

I would get the gun if is a good deal! Just shoot 130s and see how it does.

Shoot moly bullets to break it in. Use the clean after every shot for 20 and after 5 for 3 times and you should be good to go. Remember, it takes about 5 rounds to re-coat the barrel with moly after cleaning...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.