Remington 700 -- Any years to avoid?

At 100yds? I'd like to see this.

These types of statements are so predictable in threads like this, I can almost set my clock by them. The issue is, it's never based on a real evaluation of the rifles in question. It doesn't actually happen the way it's claimed. It's based on overly-inflated ideas of what people's rifles are capable of. I've demonstrated my full customs are able to do this, many times... over and over again. I've only seen a full factory (completely unmodified) rifle do this one time in my life. Yeah sure, everyone is happy to fire umpteen rounds and take their picture of the 3 rounds that accidentally touched 2" from POA. ... but there sure doesn't seem to be much actual evidence of what you claim happening on the regular.

Setup a camera on you, set up another one on the target. No video editing allowed. No cuts, not effects... nothing. Use the camera on you, to view through a LRF for range confirmation for a 100yd target. Fire 5 separate sequential 3-shot groups at 5 separate points of aim. Do this with all 3 of your rifles mentioned above. Then measure the groups. If all of the groups are less than 0.5" center to center... I'll send you $1000 U.S. If no round fired is farther than 0.25" from the center of POA, (actual sub-1/2" accuracy) I'll send you another $1000 U.S.

You get one chance, not just keep trying every day until you pull it off... If you fail, you owe me $2000 U.S. Deal?

Would that put the brakes on these types of nonsensical posturing posts I wonder? If you actually attempted this... you'd probably have more groups closer to 1 MOA than you had closer to half MOA. At least that's what I typically see when I'm mentoring shooters and evaluating their performance. Yet, their performance ALWAYS universally improves when I get them off their rifle and put them on mine.

Even IF what you're saying is true... what happens when you go to rebarrel that action? The smith is just going to shove the barrel on there without addressing the almost certain deficiencies of the factory rem700? Nope, you'll pile money onto that thing to no end on that first rebarrel... and you'll still be left with a rem700 afterward.

Oh wait, I forgot... no one rebarrels. Most peoples post counts outnumber their rounds fired by a ratio of 100 to 1. I'm being pretty heavy handed here, and I realize that. Maybe too much so, but I'm so unbelievably tired of feeling the anguish people have after they've been mislead by this type of thread. I don't mean to single you out @deadidarren, however... it's not 2002 anymore. It's 2022. Everyone has the ability to back up their claims, and if they are going to make claims such as have been made... I think its time we start demanding that evidence before accepting it at face value.

I will also concede that it is possible to get a good rifle at a lower price point which can provide tremendous value. However, the percentage of instances where that does not work out, is high enough that people in my position see it nearly every single day. This is not a trivial problem. This is a systemic perpetuation of a false narrative by the well-meaning but uninformed which leads unsuspecting people to waste thousands of dollars.

Nearly impossible for the truth to be discussed in any context around subjects such as this, without ruffling feathers. The fact is, you need a certain level of exposure in the industry before you have the perspective required to see the real impact of this topic. Most are too busy with their non-shooting-related lives to have that perspective. I've said what I needed to say to convey that perspective I hope, but I'll step aside from here on in this thread and let whatever silly claims that get made, pass unchallenged.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Nobody here owes you anything nor has to jump through your hoops to please you.

Get over yourself.

8FF5FAC0-FF4A-4336-B30B-65674476A005.jpeg

Top and bottom are 700 Classics. Top started out as a 300 H&H (1983, 5,846 made) trued etc. Krieger tube chambered in 358 STA.

Bottom is 264 Win Mag (1986, 3,468 made)

Middle is Ruger M77 338 Win Mag

I've got both modded remmy rifles and stock to the bone ones. I took a couple modded ones out today and they shot under .6 moa at 200 yards. I've brought out bone stock ones lately and they shot similarly. It's mostly what trigger you like and what twist/ chambering you want. I will say my Timney trigger in my 7stw beats the pants off the remmy trigger in my 7rum.

Why did you not mention McMillan? I was under the impression they were the top of the line. I used to do the HVAC work at HS when they were in Prescott, AZ... back when I had a lot more hair, and didn't hurt when I went to bed.
There are any number of stocks that have bedding blocks including McMillan and chassis that are improvements over some of the lower end Remington stocks. Didn't intend to rule anyone out just listing a couple for reference.

At 100yds? I'd like to see this.

These types of statements are so predictable in threads like this, I can almost set my clock by them. The issue is, it's never based on a real evaluation of the rifles in question. It doesn't actually happen the way it's claimed. It's based on overly-inflated ideas of what people's rifles are capable of. I've demonstrated my full customs are able to do this, many times... over and over again. I've only seen a full factory (completely unmodified) rifle do this one time in my life. Yeah sure, everyone is happy to fire umpteen rounds and take their picture of the 3 rounds that accidentally touched 2" from POA. ... but there sure doesn't seem to be much actual evidence of what you claim happening on the regular.

Setup a camera on you, set up another one on the target. No video editing allowed. No cuts, not effects... nothing. Use the camera on you, to view through a LRF for range confirmation for a 100yd target. Fire 5 separate sequential 3-shot groups at 5 separate points of aim. Do this with all 3 of your rifles mentioned above. Then measure the groups. If all of the groups are less than 0.5" center to center... I'll send you $1000 U.S. If no round fired is farther than 0.25" from the center of POA, (actual sub-1/2" accuracy) I'll send you another $1000 U.S.

You get one chance, not just keep trying every day until you pull it off... If you fail, you owe me $2000 U.S. Deal?

Would that put the brakes on these types of nonsensical posturing posts I wonder? If you actually attempted this... you'd probably have more groups closer to 1 MOA than you had closer to half MOA. At least that's what I typically see when I'm mentoring shooters and evaluating their performance. Yet, their performance ALWAYS universally improves when I get them off their rifle and put them on mine.

Even IF what you're saying is true... what happens when you go to rebarrel that action? The smith is just going to shove the barrel on there without addressing the almost certain deficiencies of the factory rem700? Nope, you'll pile money onto that thing to no end on that first rebarrel... and you'll still be left with a rem700 afterward.

Oh wait, I forgot... no one rebarrels. Most peoples post counts outnumber their rounds fired by a ratio of 100 to 1. I'm being pretty heavy handed here, and I realize that. Maybe too much so, but I'm so unbelievably tired of feeling the anguish people have after they've been mislead by this type of thread. I don't mean to single you out @deadidarren, however... it's not 2002 anymore. It's 2022. Everyone has the ability to back up their claims, and if they are going to make claims such as have been made... I think its time we start demanding that evidence before accepting it at face value.

I will also concede that it is possible to get a good rifle at a lower price point which can provide tremendous value. However, the percentage of instances where that does not work out, is high enough that people in my position see it nearly every single day. This is not a trivial problem. This is a systemic perpetuation of a false narrative by the well-meaning but uninformed which leads unsuspecting people to waste thousands of dollars.

Nearly impossible for the truth to be discussed in any context around subjects such as this, without ruffling feathers. The fact is, you need a certain level of exposure in the industry before you have the perspective required to see the real impact of this topic. Most are too busy with their non-shooting-related lives to have that perspective. I've said what I needed to say to convey that perspective I hope, but I'll step aside from here on in this thread and let whatever silly claims that get made, pass unchallenged.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

You talking factory ammo here or handloads? Plenty unmodified factory rifles out there capable of consistent half moa. Not a Remington, but if seen some pretty impressive Tikkas and Bergara's. Odds of getting a hammer in one though is no where as good as odds of getting one with a full custom rig which should be at nearly 100% when using top shelf components and a capable smith. Take any long range High Master Fclass shooter and give them either of the two mentioned factory rifles and you'd be owing them 1000$ because it going to come down to reloading and trigger pulling skills.

You talking factory ammo here or handloads? Plenty unmodified factory rifles out there capable of consistent half moa. Not a Remington, but if seen some pretty impressive Tikkas and Bergara's. Odds of getting a hammer in one though is no where as good as odds of getting one with a full custom rig which should be at nearly 100% when using top shelf components and a capable smith. Take any long range High Master Fclass shooter and give them either of the two mentioned factory rifles and you'd be owing them 1000$ because it going to come down to reloading and trigger pulling skills.
OK, this is a $400 Rem 700 ADL Varmint with a $200 stock upgrade and and a $120 trigger upgrade in 2009/2010 dollars. $720 Total. Verification of a new powder test with OCW. You couldn't touch a Tikka for that.

Ballistic-X-Export-2021-09-08 11:48:08.304333.jpeg

Tikka's were even cheaper in 2009 era than they are now. (just like everything else)

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate