Differences in years of Remington 700s?

Zerk

Thinking of getting another 700 in 30-06. Maybe back up, maybe a project. Though I am to cheap to dump alot of money. Timney trigger for an older one. Maybe bed it.

Is there a difference in years? My 75 bolt is so smooth. Safety is loud. Not sure if Timney is better.

I don't care about looks. I want one that I don't care about scratches. My other one is my Grandpa's.

Lots of talk of quality going down hill. Things get cheaper. But I also realize metalurgy and technology advances too.

I just saw 68 for sale, and was thinking about it.

Is there a sweet spot in years? Thanks.

Z, brother in law's bedded "63" with trigger job M700 still shoots lights out. My friend's "97" M700 with a Timney and bedded wood stock barely sub-MOA, but that was with factory ammo. Perhaps the cost cutting measures over the years have affected quality. I haven't been around too many 700's to see a huge difference in vintages. Overall they are good rifles as long as you stick with the M700. I've heard horror stories of their bargain models. Good luck

I was just wondering if they were changes. Stronger bolts, to improve something they found. Like S&W and dashes.

I was just wondering if they were changes. Stronger bolts, to improve something they found. Like S&W and dashes.

Zerk,

I bought a 1992 700 in 300 WM 3 years ago at an auction for $550. It had been bedded, but other than that it was "stock". I re-scoped it with a Nikon Prostaff4x12, had a Timney installed @ 3lbs., installed a custom muzzle brake (it came with a factory brake), and it will shoot sub MOA's without a struggle. Best group to date is .150" with hand loads...best loads for this rifle has been with 73 gr. H4831sc and either 200gr. ELD-X or 73.5gr. RL 22 behind 190 ABLR's. I have found that setting her up so the load is only .005" off the lands, works best.

Good luck,

Don

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.