No more Remington 700s!

NuttyLemur

I finally talked myself out of the Sako TRG-42; however, I am now stuck between the TRG-22 or a custom rifle. I don't want a rem700 or clone of it. I don't have any issues with the Remington, I own 4 already and one stiller clone. It's time for a change!

Has anyone tried to build a "tactical" rifle using the sako A7, 85, tika, or maybe even a browning? Was it worth the headache of finding an action having it smithed and then trying to find someone to stock it? Or should I just buy the TRG?

I would love to hear from anyone who has built an awesome custom on a non-Remington or savage action (I own more savages than remingtons, also good guns that have served me well)

Pictures and details please

i would like to custom a browning as well cause my shoots amazing as it is and would like to see what i could do with it but unfortunately i have been told its a waste of time trying to find people who will do it. so the remington or savage is your best bet!

Well that makes three of us. I have had terrific success with Remington and Savage but these are all low end cost rifles. The accuracy is wonderful and usually good enough for most shooters that only shoot during huniting season anyway.

If I move to the $2500 + rifles, I get better looks, and a great shooting custom rilfe. I don't want to go there, yet.

I wanted something in between costwise for the longer range not too far 800-1200 yards or a bit more and set my sights on the 300 Win Mag.

Did the duty and shot everyone's guns I could get. The 338 lapua was fun and so was the 50 BMG for a few rounds but despite all the talk about them these are really more for talkers and sepcialty shooters, maybe they really don't seem practical unless you need to kill a rock.

I think the 300 will shoot these ranges just fine consistantly and have enough performance at the end for fun targeting or huntiing and overall be more fun to shoot.

I was looking at Tikka, CZ and Win Mod 70 for a change. The Tikka seems really smooth, nice looks and shoots very well consistantly. I shot a 308.

It would be nice to get a rifle, put a little refinement / fine tuning into it and have it be one that stays with me.

I am not an expert and typcially prefer the 30 cal. Have a 7mm Rem Mag, but I think I will like the 300 Win Mag better.

Looked at the 338 Win Mag but have no thoughts on that over the 300 Win Mag. Of course, reloading options / choices are a benefit.

Well for a guy that just wanted to leave a note I posed allot of questions. Thanks ahead of time for replys.

Wild Bill

Last edited:
As in my earlier post I have restocked, and perfomed some work to Rem and Savage at requests of varioous users but in the end for them I really did not notice that it made a big difference in their shooting ability.

For a change I procured a Browning BLR Take Down in 3006. Shot terrific oout of the box - gun looks great nice finishes fine tuneda few things and it shoots as good as any bolt action that most of the guys shoot. So I got somethgin different there to stick with and that I really like to shoot.

Don't knwo much about Howe I wil check them out.

Thanks

Hey there.
Well I think if you want a Sako TRG-22 for a tactical rifle you cant go wrong they are pretty good the fire control system on them is unique and its what i liked the most about them its designed so that you can do everything without having to taking your hand off the grip the safety is directly in front of the trigger and there is a leaver in front of the trigger guard to remove mag kinda AKish if little bit hard to use how its intended.
Down side of them is they are expensive and heavy it sucks to lug one around especially the bigger 42 Sako aftermarket parts are really expensive to the bipod and extra mag the bipod can be replaced to a regular bipod tho.

as for building a tactical rifle off the A7 or the T3 i do not recommend them they are over priced economy rifles i do not see them as true Sakos but as a example of Beretta marketing to produce cheap rifles for the first time gun buyer or casual hunter.
Manners might make stocks for them now but my biggest problem with them overall is the anemic recoil lug and over use of plastics.
The 85 series would probably make a good Tactical build the newer actions I cant remember what they were calling them have a set trigger on them that is superb and even when its not set its really good to.

But the problem with them is for your use is removing mags is a strange procedure you kinda have to pull the little tab back and lift up on the mag for it to come out i assume you want this rifle for practical rifle comp and that is not something you want to have to do when the clocks ticking.
Not sure if you can buy a bare action from Sako either in which case you would have to buy a whole rifle that cost around 1k at that price you might as well just buy a custom rifle action.
I am not sure there is much in the way of aftermarket parts out there for them either to turn it in to a real tactical rifle things like stocks extended mags.

Some people were saying Howa I cant comment on them I have never seen a custom built off one I hear good things about them from people who use them stock for hunting not that matters much tho.

CDNN had Fn spr actions for a good price around $400 dont know if they have them anymore I bought one a while ago for a build its not the best thing out there stock but you can make it pretty good its a solid action to build off of but you can only buy them in SA and 308 and 300 WSM bolt faces.

That leaves you with a host of custom actions.
Perhaps look into BAT or Nesika tactical actions the latter is one sexy action people know what it is when they see it but its pricey.

Ther has to be someone out there who has the know-how to build up a sako 85 into a tactical rifle. Maybe I will have to just buy the TRG but stay tuned, I may find a way to do my tactical sako build.

Well i am 99% sure it has been done before with the 85 but I dont think its worth it
The 85 still has that small pot metal recoil lug so thats got to go IMO.
Your going to need replace the bottom metal for bigger mags I dont Think thats even been made yet and extend the bolt put a picatinny rail on top of every thing else to make it in to the kind of gun you want I assume.
Those might be things you can live with out to me for a tactical build its important.
And by the time that is done your pretty much going to have a TRG that might cost just as or more with out alot of the features that make the TRG unique.

Most guys who make customs off of the 85 use them as hunting rifles.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.