Remington 260 AR

Reysm

I am in the process of building a Remington AR 1000 YRD Coyote rifle and I would like to know What speed I should keep my round at for muzzle velocity? One person mentioned keeping the FPS under 2800. With practice I hope to use this for competition and mabey build a bolt gun when I get serious so if anyone can narrow my reloading learning curve and save a bunch of powder I would appreciate it. Thanks!

If you are looking at an actual remington AR not just an AR in 260 for a 1000yd anything you are going to be disappointed. Actually any AR for a 1000yds is going to be a frustrating journey if your expectations are not realistic. By all means you can shoot an AR out to 1000yds but if you are expecting good enough accuracy to have a high probability of first round hits at 1000yds on a coyote you are going to be disappointed. You have to keep in mind that AR-10's are much more proprietary to their respective parts and manufacture also so when looking at aftermarket items, fit can be an issue. I would go with a DPMS LR260 as my base to build off of or if i wanted to just go with a factory rifle i would purchase a RRA. As far as velocity goes i have had very good luck in my LR260 with the 123 amax @2900fps. With the heavier 140's the most i could get without case head swipe was around 2700. An adjustable gas block would be a good investment before beginign load development with the AR.

Thank you sir for the info. We are building a Dpms based AR with a custom barrel and I will look into the adjustable gas block. I know it won't be as accurate as a bolt gun but I would like to dial in as close as possible. I will keep toward the bottom of the velocity scale and see how it performs. Thanks again!

I have an AR in 6.5 Creedmoor 260's bullistic twin. I also must keep the 140's at around 2700fps or I get pierced primers and swipe. This is with a standard DPMS style bolt the JP high pressure bolt fixes the pierced primer issue I just haven't ordered one yet. AR308's are very proprietary as already stated make sure your parts are all going to work together my Fulton Armory Kieger 6.5 Creedmoor barrel takes a longer than normal AR-15 rifles length gas tube. Just something to keep an eye out for. I have two of the Giessle High speed national match triggers i highly recommend them for pricision gas guns. I take mine to 900 yards and it is not as accurate as good bolt gun but it's not off by much. In gas guns there tends to be much more load development do to the mag length restrictions but it is to me part of the fun. I would suggest starting with none poly tip bullets I like the 139 Lapua's and 140 bthp match hornady's in the 140 class of bullets. I shoot longrange with mine so I never really played around with the 120gr bullets much to speak of but most guys shooting 6.5 gas guns prefer the 120's do to them being a bit over gassed.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.