260 Remington help

Remington mishandled this cartridge out the gate. They advertised it as having more energy beyond 200 yards with the 140 grain bullets. Than a 270 with the 130 grain bullet. Guns were shipped with 1.95 twist and the only ammo you could buy was the 140 grain bullet. No stabilization. I bought a new remington model seven stainless in 1997, still have it today. My rifle has never had a factory round fired thru it. It is an excellent cartridge with the 120 grain ballistic tip and 41.5 grains of 4064. It pushes this bullet around 2990 out of a 20 inch barrel. If remington had promoted this cartridge right. We would never have seen the 6.5 creedmore. I have taken over 40 whitetails with it. It always done what i expected. With the pencil thin barrel it will group the first 2 bullets at 5/8 of an inch with the third opening the group as the barrel heats up to 1 inch.
It will be with me until my estate sells it after i am gone. I cannot give any more praise than that. Free floating the barrel helped a lot. Groups originally were 2 inches at a hundred.

I've shot 140Sbt in 9 twist with no issues, but match bullets could be different due to being longer just inside the 8-8.5 range. Less than 140gr will work fine for sure. Some have a fine line where velocity and other atmospheric conditions help or hinder 140's in 9T. Sierra states a 7.5 is needed for their 150smk. I guess I'll find out if velocity help from a 26" 9T 264wm and/or an 8T 260rem and 6.5creed. I do have a 7.5T in 264wm for comparing. I'm also going to find out if .263 is going to be doable.

I am like most handloaders and like to tinker, not really to expect much more than i already have. Do have a box of 129 gr hornadys and may see if i can get them to stabalize in my rifle. Deer rifle season will close in early january. Might be a good time to try something different.

I am like most handloaders and like to tinker, not really to expect much more than i already have. Do have a box of 129 gr hornadys and may see if i can get them to stabalize in my rifle. Deer rifle season will close in early january. Might be a good time to try something different.
Shouldn't be an issue!