rem700s/a to 300wsm

qkshot

I have a few questions for ya's i have been thinkning of rebarelling my 308 rem700sa for a while now and i'd like to go to the 300WSM. it seems doable being the cases are close. and the bolt will have to be opened up and a sako extractor put in.

But here is the question i asked a gentlemen(whom i consider to have alot of knowledge about rifles ) about the conversion and it was said better off to go buy a REM LA than use the short action I'M CONFUSED isn't the 300wsm supposed to be made for a short action and also he mentioned about feeding issues (not reliable )

I guess if its not a good deal to do that
i will buy a new donor but i would really like to use the sa action i have.

I would like your views and opinions good and bad i assume he's probably right but would like to know why or why not ( the bullet i want to use is a 190smk or 200smk ).
confused.gif

Thanks in advance to all who reply
grin.gif
grin.gif

Using the bullets you mentiond you can use the SA if you use a Wyatt's extended mag box.
this gives you enough room without encroaching into powder space.

I have one that was built a few months ago by Chris. I shoot the 190 SMK's. I can post the particulars here if you wish or feel free to contact me via e-mail and I can fill you in.
I have posted results of targets I shot today with this combination in Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics.

Wyo and chris thank you very much. i will get the barrel pulled and do the bolt myself shouldn't be to hard. get a wyatt from brownells and send the action out to pacnor
whom i contacted originally and let them put a new tube on it then finish the gun up.

wyo post away on your results cant wait to hear about them.

also where do i look to get the email address off this board for ya.

thanks again guys thats a big load off my mind
grin.gif
grin.gif

Would you be better off starting with a long action when building a 7MM/300 WSM?

The cost of the machining and extra long magazine box could be put into an action that would better accomodate the long round.

That's what I have been thinking.

Wyatt's box item # from Brownellsis as follows

standard to fit oal of 2.95" #100-000-535
extended to fit oal of 3.06" #100-000-536

these are both to fit the WSM cases into the short action Rem 700.
cost for both list for $47.75.

NOTE : my oal for a 190gr Berger VLD in a 300WSM is 3.045" and this has about .015 of the boat tail hanging down in the case from the neck

On the Wyatts box mag--how long is the internal Dim.?

Will it fit together with the badger bottom metal without problems?

How much $$ does one cost?

Also how bout a brownells part number?

TIA,
JB

If you know a machinist have him mill out the back side of the magazine well on the action you can get about .450 to .500 thou more room by doing this, you also have to remove this same amount from the bolt stop or do away with it all together and install a button style bolt stop but either way you need to remove enough so that the bolt moves far enough back to grab the case head.
This should net you enough room to use VLD style bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.