300WSM

Slopeshunter

Hello everyone,

I have a few questions about the 300WSM and what you all think of it as a long range calibre.

To what range do you think one could take both deer and elk with this calibre?

What grain bullet with this calibre should be considered the max to use (180?)

Is there any performance difference between a 24" and 26" barrell? Of course, besides 2" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What is a better twist for long range? I believe 1-10 seems to be a factory standard (maybe I'm wrong?). What's better for long range, and why?

Just FYI, I have been hunting for 22 years. The longest shot I've taken has been an elk at 350 yards. Most everything else I've taken has probably been 200 or less. I found this site a month or so ago and am quite fascinated at what's involved in long range shooting. Seems there's so much I dont know.

I've been contemplating putting a new rifle together. Have been leaning towards 300WSM just because it can easily work for all game we have here in Alberta (besides that I like the 30 cals). The rifle will be used alot for mountain hunting, so weight is a concern of mine.

Thanks in advance.

slopes

The 300 WSM limits out with the 210. Up that weight it hangs easily with the 30 Win Mag.

If you are talking custom barrel, then go with 1-11 and min SAAMI chamber with 1 1/2 degree leade. I would go with the 26" and expect about 25 fps for every inch. could be more and could be less but good rule of thumb.

BH

I believe you start to really fall behind with anything more than 200-210gr. bullets. It will work for deer and elk to 1k if the shooter does his job with a rifle that can do it's. as for rifle it's you're personal preferance. A 26 will get you some more speed but how much I dont know.

Thanks for the replys so far. So, what about triggers?

What's everyone like? What differs a custom trigger from a factory trigger?

Slopeshunter
1-It's a great long range cartridge.

2-A long way, depends on your ability. You could easily double your longest shot.

3-what grain bullet, like BH said I would go with the the min SAAMI for a hunting rifle and did. I shoot a 175 SMK out of a short action Rem with an HS box and can just touch the lands. For elk you can't go wrong with a 180 AB.

4- 24 or 26" I dont think the animal will know. I went with a 25" just because I could. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As for trigger, a tuned rem trigger is all I have ever needed on a hunting rifle. 3# for all conditions (cold hands etc)
It's a great cartridge, and I think you would be happy with it. If it's a custom build, speck it out the way you want, and keep as much weight as you feel comfortable with.

My 300 WSM will remain in the front row of my safe.

SLOPE- I have a rem sendero in 300 win , and one in 300 win short mag with the factory trigger at 2.5#. the 300 win has a jewel trigger. i have two other rem 700 with shilen triggers. i like the shilen trigger best myself, my son and brother like the jewel; and the factory rem trigger is not bad at all. i like the 300 win caliber better than the wsm because i like lapua brass; it is not available for the wsm. the elk won't know the difference between a wsm and 300win. if it is not windy you can take one a very very long way off. roninflag

Slopes,skip the 300WSM and just go ahead and get Kirby to build you a 338/chey-tac. that's where you're headed if you hang out here long! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.