Rem Sendero v's Police models

Topshot

Out of either the Remington Sendero SFII or the Remington Police Model rifles, which one do you think would be a more accurate and user friendly long distance hunting rifle.

In particular using field possitions rather than shooting from a bench?

The calibre would be one of the Magnum cartridges on offer.

I'll throw my two cents in. I don't know anything about the Police models except that they don't come with stainless barrels. I don't know what sort of whether you hunt in in AU but even if it's humid, I find that I need to keep my non-stainless barrels somewhat coated with oil to keep them from rusting. The oil in the barrel requires that I fire a fouling shot or two in order to get the rifle shooting back where it's supposed to. For this reason alone, I've adopted a zero non-stainless hunting rifle barrel policy. I do, however, have a 25-06 with a carbon steel barrel that I use for hunting and I shoot moly coated bullets through it. I've found that the moly coats the metal in the barrel well enough to give it some weather protection and I keep tape over the end of the muzzle to keep rain and debris out and rarely clean the bore. It's worked well for several years.

They are both great rifles.

They are almost identical in function IMO I guess it is what ever look you like better the more tactical look of the police model or the more traditional look of the sendero.

It is a no brainer for me I like fluted barrels and stainless steel in a hunting rifle. I think it just looks sharp

I think they are held to the same standerds as far as production goes but dont quote me on that. IMO they are 80% the same gun.

They both have HS precsion stocks.

The sendero comes in more caliber choices

Both have 26" bbl

sendero has flutes LE rig does not

just some thoughts

Topshot,
I had the first generation Sendero in 7mmRM and it was unbelieveably accurate with my handloads. It would shoot sub 1/2" groups at anytime and 1/4" were not out of the question. The rifle was absolutely awesome! The barrel went south after 1200+ rounds but, all or most loads were at max or above. While I had that rifle I bought another first generation Sendero in .300WM, and while very accurate, it was not the tack driver that the 7mm was.
I traded the 7mm Sendero for a 700P in 7mmRM. To start with it was disappointing. I wanted to shoot the 168gn Berger in it and the rifle wouldn't shoot them for squat. I tried powders/primers/seating depths, etc., Nothing.
Now I'm really not sure if the rifle didn't like that particular bullet or if the previous owner just never shot it enough to season or break in the barrel. The last time I tried the Bergers was with n550 powder and it shot in the .3's. I tried the same load a week later and it opened up to .7-.8. After that I tried the 150gn Ballistic Tip and WOW! it shot them almost as good as the Sendero did. This is a great deer bullet and has accounted for many in the past (and four this year).
To me the Sendero stock feels better, but the PSS looks "meaner". Some say it feels/looks like a fence post, but I don't have much trouble with it. The last deer (6point) I shot this year was running flat out at 100yds, folded and rolled like a dishrag at the shot.
I also have .25-06 in the Sendero SF version. It too is unbelieveably accurate with handloads. It has produced some terrific groups with 75, 100 and 115gn bullets. It seems to prefer the 75-100gn bullet rangeand shoots them in the .2-.3" range and shoots the 110-117gn bullets in the .3-.4" range. Not enough of a difference to gripe about really.
Sorry to say but I don't have any experience with the newer Sendero's (SFII). If and when I burn the barrels out on all that I have now I will save up my money and get one probably. JohnnyK.

If I am correct ( please chime in if I am wrong) the police model remington has the same barreled action as the SPS but is mated to a different stock. The SPS is a lower grade rifle. The Sendero is a higher grade rifle. This would cause me to believe that the Sendero would be a better shooter out of the box.

I have one of each that i have had to re-headspace both. bad luck i guess. The PSS only comes in .308 and 300 win mag though. have switched to sako with better outcomes/luck. tend to think the older senderos were better shooters.

I have what I believe is an Sendero SFI (bought in 2006 I believe) in 300WM and my buddy has the police version in 308.

Both guns shoot MOA consistently, hard to say if one is more accurate than the other. Both my buddy and I have a preference for the Sendero stock. I have never seen his gun out of the stock but I think the Sendero is supposed to have superior bedding.

The Sendero is probably the more accurate rifle out of the box.

The 700P is just an SPS with an HS Precision stock.

I have two SPS (.223 and .308). The .223 shoots .5moa and the .308 shoots .75moa...both with junk ammo.

Ive have two of the first phase senderos and they both shot lights out. One in a 22-250 it still shoots under moa but when it was new a a few thousand (literally) rounds ago it was the rifle I ever shot that was really a .1-.3 shooter. now it dosent shoot that way but that barrel is getting tired. The other is in an stw. I put a brake on it and it will shoot .3-.5 regurally.

I have an pss that was a 300win and it shot very well. it was about a .5 shooter but that was when I was 12-14 so it could have probablly have shot better with a better shooter. I brought it in and had a new barrel put on and had it chambered to a 338-378. I am not reall impressed with the job he did and he screwed up the sako reall bad so I think im going to throw a new tube on it the future and probablly get a new bolt through kiff and make something new out of it.

But originally it shot well enough that I used it on everything from deer elk and bears to ground squirles. So thats a toss up both have there shooters and both have lemons

I have no experience with the police or LE models; however, I own an original sendero in 300 Remington Ultra Mag. My model says "Custom Shop" on the top of the barrel. I use a varminter rifle rest and a caldwell lead sled solo to shoot at the range, and my sendero prints .27"-.46" three shot groups at 100 yards with factory Remington Core-locks.

I know that is crazy but it is the most accurate rifle that I own! I am currently working up hand loads to see what this rifle can do at long range on actual game (white tailed deer). I love my sendero and wouldn't trade it for any other gun, and I wouldn't sell it if someone offered me $2000 for it. My vote is for the sendero because it is the only one I have experience with, and that experience has been awesome!

I have a 700P that shoots in the .3s. From the 700P/PSS and the Senderos I have been around the 700Ps have out shot the Senderos. They both are about the same, but the edge from the ones I have seen goes to the Ps/PSSs. I would rather have SS barrel if it were me though.

If I were looking at those 2 rifles I would take a look at the REM 700 5rs. Geat guns as well.

I just got a 700 Police in 338 Lapua a few weeks ago. It's sub-MOA without really "tuning" in my loads. The only worry that I have is hunting with the detachable magazine "in" and going through brush. I'm afrain that the mag release will catch and release the magazine on the hillside.

I did look at a Sendero in 300 RUM for quite sometime but chose the 338 Lapua because I want to shoot long range at some point. i also got a great deal on the rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.