Rem 700 Police in .22-250?

ElwoodB

Hi everyone,

I have lots of trouble controlling the crow population on my hunting lease in Germany. The only way to get to them is a decent long range rig. (Waiting under the trees where they roost would be an option but is a lot less fun! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Now, a firearms dealer offers a Rem 700 Police in the caliber .22-250. While I am very confident that this caliber and rifle would be more than up to the task, I doubt if Remington ever built a Rem 700 Police in this caliber??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

He furthermore states that it is a kevlar inforced stock with alloy bedding block which suggests that it is the HS Precision stock that's on all Rem Police. But then the color is not plain black but black/grey web unlike the original Police stocks.

It is probably a good rifle either way but I would be very thankful if you could help me to find out whether this is a genuine Rem 700 Police or a somehow modified custom rig.

Thanks very much for your help,

elwood.

P.S.: Here is a link to some pictures: http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=497676

I don´t know how far you are planning to shoot, but if you don´t find that 2.250 i would go with a 6 mm cartridge - much batter BC..

Thats not the PSS (police) but the VS which is basicaly the same thing. It probably is a good gun and the 22-250 is more than up to the task and loaded with a 40gr bullet it makes and awsome ball of feathers when you wack a crow.
I'm not sure what the conversion is from your Euro to our dollar so i can't realy say what type of deal that it is.

[ QUOTE ]
Thats not the PSS (police) but the VS which is basicaly the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, good to know, thanks! I just do not like sellers that are inaccurate when it comes to labelling their items... I like to know what I am buying!

[ QUOTE ]
loaded with a 40gr bullet it makes and awsome ball of feathers when you wack a crow.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I am looking for! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure what the conversion is from your Euro to our dollar so i can't realy say what type of deal that it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

The price of 1000 euros equals 1200 $. But then it is an auction and considering the value of the scope alone I suppose this is not the last word...

Thanks for your help,

elwood.

I understand the sellers not being accurate part , I once saw a rifle at a gun show that I was intersted in getting to build on , I looked at the tag for the price and saw

"almost new , Browning 700 Featherweight , $1400"

The gun was a Weatherby MarkV that doesen't sell new for near that price !! I asked the guy that was running the table if I could take his Picture wtih the Tag and he got ****y , then got realy mad when i told him the gun was miss marked. He said " I have been doing this for 20yrs , I know what the hell I have out in my racks !!"

Elwood, JDJ is right, thats a VS. the Police stock is a slightly different configuration. has a palm swell and a slightly fatter for end.
I'll follow the auction and see what the rifle makes,
22.250 is a great caliber, and its good for Roe Deer too.
for your crows a 22.250, a 223, a 5.6x50 all would be suitable. You need one building?
Pete

Thanks for the info - I shall email the seller and ask him about the origin of this rifle...

Thanks Pete but in fact I am having a custom built for me right now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Cheers,

elwood.

you would be if you'd make up your mind which stock you want !!! McMillan do one in pink, i thought it would go nice with the purple finnish you wanted on the barrel and action.. ha !!
seriously thought, i'm a great fan of the 22.250. i turned mine into a 308 win as i was sick of the weight of the fat 22.250 barrel. I in tend building my self a 22.250 some time soon. I bought mine for shooting crows and magpies and hares back home in the UK. I was doing it with my 30-06 up till then, but safety aspects, i'e the fact that a BTSP bullet was carrying on a fair ways after wacking a magpie between 300 and 500m pushed me to go for the 22.250 and some varmint bullets. I found the PMC factory ammo with the 55gr Sierra Blitz King very very effective on Varmints and the 55gr Siera Game King very effective on Roe Deer, 22.250 is probably the most used foxing caliber in the UK.
Time we had a chat about stocks,, where you at? I'm in the space ship flying place for the next 4 days.
Pete

[ QUOTE ]
McMillan do one in pink, i thought it would go nice with the purple finnish you wanted on the barrel and action.. ha !!

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget to add those little blue butterflies on the bottom metal plate! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Time we had a chat about stocks,, where you at? I'm in the space ship flying place for the next 4 days.
Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm back in the deep south, sweating like a pig... I'll give you a call about the stock alright!

Catch you later,

elwood.

Elwood,
Where in Germany? I spent 5 years at Giebelstadt, just south of Wurzburg.
Too bad I'm not over there still, I'd love to whack some crows with you - and talk BS over a few world famous German Hefe's!!!

Pete,
You are correct about the stock configuration, also every PS or PSS or Police that I have seen has had two swivel studs in the forend, one for the Harris and one for a sling. Plus they have all been plain black, no squigglies. Plus they are a dull finish on the metal, Parkerized I believe.
I would want to be assured that the rifle is not well worn, .22-250 barrels only last so long...

Of course you could buy it and let Pete rebuild it for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.