Rem 700 Modifications??

4xforfun

What modifications need to be made to the mag/feed rails, etc.... when building a 300 RUM or 300 WSM from a Rem 700 LA made for something like a 7mm Rem mag or a 300 Win mag???

Someone on another website says to simply buy a "kwick Klip" from Cabellas. It eliminates the BDL bottom mettle and box mag.

You will need to have a smith open up the feed rails a little bit (I'm not sure exactly how much). The follower should be the same for magnum and RUM calibers.

Sometime, not always, the bolt nose needs to be opened up. The case is fatter than the rim and sometimes contacts the bolt nose preventing good extraction and ejection.

I've used the kwik-klip with pretty good success on WSM's. But, you'd still have to open up the feed rails a bit.

You will need to have a smith open up the feed rails a little bit (I'm not sure exactly how much). The follower should be the same for magnum and RUM calibers.
Not really. I just put a sanding pad on my dremel and did it myself on the Frankengun.

Just take them back far enough to take the sharp edge off and you're done.

Don't be disappointed rose!!! You have a new muzzle loader to play with!!!!! Have fun with it and stop worrying about mags and dremels!!!!

Hahshahahshshsjshs:D:D:D:D:D

I just give the rails a little tune up till the case just slips through with a file and then smooth it all of with some 600 grit, open up the sided of the feed ramp, take the top side lips of the magazine down about 1/4 inch or Wyatts mag it and rally. The Kwick Klip would work ideal with the WSM, a friend just did his and said it worked very well but I haven't gotten my hands on it to see. You may still need to touch it up a little, so far after I've gotten them to feed RUM or WSM they will also feed the original cartridge but I haven't done a truck load of them yet so that may not hold true always.

The problem listed on my original post has been addressed by him finding an action for and ULTRA MAG, so that problem has been solved!!

Another question.....can an action designed for a WSM/RUM/SAUM be used for a "regular magnum"... ie a 7mm rem/300 win/ 264 win, ect? Is there enough of a lip on the feed rail to hold the smaller diameter cases in the box? He is going to make this a switch BBL rig.

The problem listed on my original post has been addressed by him finding an action for and ULTRA MAG, so that problem has been solved!!

Another question.....can an action designed for a WSM/RUM/SAUM be used for a "regular magnum"... ie a 7mm rem/300 win/ 264 win, ect? Is there enough of a lip on the feed rail to hold the smaller diameter cases in the box? He is going to make this a switch BBL rig.

Yes it can. I have a custom 7mm STW built off of a 700 CDL action that left the factory as a 7RUM.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.