Rem 700 build?

Deerslayer11

I have an old remington 700 chambered in 300 win mag, but with that old metal butt plate it kinda hurts a little guy like me. I want to know if and you can convert or redo the gun into something like a 7 mag or 270 win. Any ideas will help! Thanks.

Yes, a new barrel can make it into a different chambering. It's kinda easier to stay with the parent cartridge (I think the parent is the 458 win mag case). Anyway, the 264 win mag, 7mm Rem mag, 300 win mag, 338 win mag, all are just the same cartridge necked up or down.

The 270 win (30-06 parent cartridge) has a different size bolt face, so it would be an expensive rework.

Anyway, best bang for the buck? As already mentioned, a different stock can make a huge difference in felt recoil. :)

Yes, a new barrel can make it into a different chambering. It's kinda easier to stay with the parent cartridge (I think the parent is the 458 win mag case). Anyway, the 264 win mag, 7mm Rem mag, 300 win mag, 338 win mag, all are just the same cartridge necked up or down.

The 270 win (30-06 parent cartridge) has a different size bolt face, so it would be an expensive rework.

Anyway, best bang for the buck? As already mentioned, a different stock can make a huge difference in felt recoil. :)

Thanks! What about a scope for it too? I'm in north eastern pa. Thick woods, but you turn around and theres a 600 yard field

you have lots of options. everyone works on rem700's and you have a long-action with a magnum bolt face. So if you rebarrel, you can chamber it in any cartridge you want as long as it has a magnum case head (.453). As mentioned before, if you chamber in something with a different size case head, then it would add expense to the project.

So, if you like short action cartridges (which means you can seat bullets way out and get maximum case capacity for powder), then think about the WSM and SAUM family. You can get them in 7mm and 30cal. If you like the long-action cartridges, think 300win mag, 7mm rem mag,

Alternatively, if your rifle is shooting well and it's just the recoil that's bothersome, the suggestion to change your stock is a good one. If you like a traditional style sporter...

https://www.stockysstocks.com/stock...-riflestocks-with-aluminum-bedding-block.html

if you prefer a vertical grip stock:

https://www.stockysstocks.com/stock...-riflestocks-with-aluminum-bedding-block.html

Neither will break the bank and neither will require bedding. Both are well designed may help reduce your recoil issue.

Any recommendations? Not planning on spending a fourtion on a stock by the way.

Like already mentioned, stockystocks is a good place. I've bought a couple from them. Go to their website and enter in your rifle and it'll give you options. Good luck.

Actually the 264, 7, 338, and 458 mag are all from the same case. The 300 is its own. Case length of the 4 is 2.50", while the 300 is 2.620".

Actually the 264, 7, 338, and 458 mag are all from the same case. The 300 is its own. Case length of the 4 is 2.50", while the 300 is 2.620".

:D *Actually*, they are all "children" of the 375H&H magnum..
Buy hey, I could be wrong - it's been known to happen....:D

you have lots of options. everyone works on rem700's and you have a long-action with a magnum bolt face. So if you rebarrel, you can chamber it in any cartridge you want as long as it has a magnum case head (.453). As mentioned before, if you chamber in something with a different size case head, then it would add expense to the project.

So, if you like short action cartridges (which means you can seat bullets way out and get maximum case capacity for powder), then think about the WSM and SAUM family. You can get them in 7mm and 30cal. If you like the long-action cartridges, think 300win mag, 7mm rem mag,

Alternatively, if your rifle is shooting well and it's just the recoil that's bothersome, the suggestion to change your stock is a good one. If you like a traditional style sporter...

if you prefer a vertical grip stock:

Neither will break the bank and neither will require bedding. Both are well designed may help reduce your recoil issue.

Magnum bolt face is .532. (458 win, 7mm rem Mag, 300 Win/wby mag, 264 win..etc)

Standard bolt face is .473. (22-250, 308, 260, 6BR, 30-06, 25-06...etc)

Not sure what has a .453.

Tod

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.